Canadian DPM Jump Smock

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Canadian DPM Jump Smock

April 18th, 2002, 6:18 am #1

Can someone provide me some basic info on the Canadian Airborne regiment jump smock? ie

a) date of adoption
b) who wore it (just the airborne, I presume)
c) date of deletion (coincidental with disbandment of CAR?)

I am also looking for photos - an internet acquaintance of mine has a site on world camo and I would like to help him out. He has the Garrison Dress jacket listed but needs info on the smock.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

April 18th, 2002, 1:54 pm #2

Michael:
While we wait for Ed :) Here's my tenative info:
a) The airborne jacket appears to have been adopted in 1970 or 72 with the activation of the SSF. At least that that's what I remember reading through the back issues of Sentinel. What I'm curious about is if the DPM patern is a variant of the original British or is the British pattern
b) Correct the photos I've seen had only the airborne/SSF soldiers wearing them
c) Sorry don't know the answer but wouldn't it've been declared obselete with the adoption of the toute-arme camo?
xavier

April 19th, 2002, 1:09 pm #3

There is an annex in a recent Canadian military book called, "Eat Your Weakest Man" by Rui Amaral (ex MWO and as WO was CQ for 2 Cdo in Somalia), published in 2000(?) by Dundurn Press (?). The annex's author was the officer in charge of the design and introduction of the smock in the 1970's. As always, buy the book and support Canadian publishing.

As I recall the smock was almost a private purchase item by the troops out of canteen funds until someone at NDHQ learned of the project. The first plan was to use the same material as the combat jacket, but there wasn't enough fabric available. Instead the supplier had an overrun of British-like DPM from a contract for uniforms for Tanzania. The rest is history.

Terry

April 19th, 2002, 1:49 pm #4

Terry:
The camouflage pattern is the one that frustrates me the most. Is it British DPM of the early 70's or is it a commercial variation?
Hopefully some ex-paras could enlighten us on this minor subject
xavier

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 20th, 2002, 2:11 pm #5

The camouflage pattern on the Canadian, Smock, Parachutists, can best be described as a Canadian copy of British DPM.

April 21st, 2002, 5:17 pm #6

Ed:
Thnkas very much! OK let me ask a question which will drive everyone crazy :)
Was the DPM pattern a straight copy of the 1970's British original or where there colour and pattern modifications that are sufficently notice=ble?
I've seen some jackets with simply 2 colours:
a sand or yellow kaki with an olive green (or even dark green) pattern. The green pattern look like someone used a very wide brush to paint the cloth.

xavier

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 22nd, 2002, 9:49 am #7

You answered your own question.

April 22nd, 2002, 12:40 pm #8

Ed:
Thnkas very much! OK let me ask a question which will drive everyone crazy :)
Was the DPM pattern a straight copy of the 1970's British original or where there colour and pattern modifications that are sufficently notice=ble?
I've seen some jackets with simply 2 colours:
a sand or yellow kaki with an olive green (or even dark green) pattern. The green pattern look like someone used a very wide brush to paint the cloth.

xavier
Hi all:
As we're discussing the para jacket, I've always ben curious as to why the paras never adopted camouflage pants?
Is it because
a) The para were satisfied with the jacket?
b) the generals and the politicians freaked out at the thought?
c) No one thought about asking if camo pants could also be part of the uniform?
Thanks!
xavier

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 22nd, 2002, 10:28 pm #9

Traditionally only the Airborne wore a Camouflaged Smock, so there was no need for camouflaged Trousers. Combats were the standard field uniform, there was no need to replace them with something else.

April 23rd, 2002, 7:10 pm #10

Ed:
Thanks. I figured tat that para would liked to have gone all the way but I see that there was no need.
xavier