Canadian Army Training Schools / Canadian Army Trade Schools

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Canadian Army Training Schools / Canadian Army Trade Schools

Bill A
Bill A

January 29th, 2011, 10:25 pm #1

I am looking for the localizations the CATS in Canada. Anyone aware of a list?
Second, were there CATS in the UK?

Jeff Hollenbeck
Jeff Hollenbeck

January 29th, 2011, 11:23 pm #2

Hi Bill,
I queried a specific CATS location on MLU and Mark Tonner replied with some great information.
Here is the link...

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showt ... hp?t=12778

Bill A
Bill A

January 30th, 2011, 12:25 am #3

Thanks Jeff, that is the Canadian Army Trade School localization. Some good info there.
There were other Canadian Army Training Schools in my understanding, and I would like to get the localities of those schools as well. They may have had a different title.

January 30th, 2011, 12:57 am #4

I am looking for the localizations the CATS in Canada. Anyone aware of a list?
Second, were there CATS in the UK?
Bill,

There was a CATS in the Army until the 1960's. I'm assuming you're only interested in the war time organization and location?

Cheers,
Dan.

Bill A
Bill A

January 30th, 2011, 1:01 am #5

Hi Dan, Yes, I am primarily interested in the Second World War. But, the post war is also of interest. There is a relationship between some insignia and the schools, which I am trying to document.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

January 30th, 2011, 3:50 am #6

Camp Valcartier in the 1950s and into the '60s. One of its tasks was language training.

DT.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

January 30th, 2011, 4:20 am #7

Thanks Jeff, that is the Canadian Army Trade School localization. Some good info there.
There were other Canadian Army Training Schools in my understanding, and I would like to get the localities of those schools as well. They may have had a different title.
from an Army HQ report dated July 1945, the following list of Schools.
Note 1 - the locations are not in the Report. I have entered them where I know it to have been.
Note 2 - Most School titles began with "Canadian" - I have shown it once to save time typing.

S2 Canadian Artillery School, Petawawa, Ont then Shilo, Man.
S3 Small Arms School Eastern Canada. (Long Branch, Ont, west of Toronto)
S4 Small Arms School Western Canada.
S5 Driving and Maintenance School. (Possibly at Stratford, Ont where there was a large D&M School run by the RCOC and from May 1944 by RCEME)
S6 Junior Leader School
S7 Army Administration School. Kemptville Ont.
S8 Army Trade School.
S9 Motor Mechanic School, later renamed Mechanics Training School. May have been at RCOC training centre Kingston, Ont.
S10 Battle Drill School. Vernon BC.
S11 Advanced Driving and Maintenance School
S11 Chemical Warfare School (Verified that both schools numbered S11 simultaneously)
S12 Bomb Disposal School
S13 Motorcycle Maintenance School (Initially Kingston, Ont at RCOC Centre then at Stratford, Ont).
S14 Parachute Training School (Camp Shilo Man).
S15 RDF Training School. (Radar training)
S16 Combined Operations School.

DT

Bill A
Bill A

January 30th, 2011, 5:54 pm #8

Camp Valcartier in the 1950s and into the '60s. One of its tasks was language training.

DT.
Thanks for the information. It is helpful.

January 30th, 2011, 10:39 pm #9

Hi Dan, Yes, I am primarily interested in the Second World War. But, the post war is also of interest. There is a relationship between some insignia and the schools, which I am trying to document.
Re: Oh,, new perspective...

Dale Lenting
Dale Lenting

March 4th, 2011, 5:21 am #10

Scans from my Grandfathers service records...hope this is info your looking for.

[/img]

[/img]