Can you import inert munitions and dewat firearms into Canada from the US?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Can you import inert munitions and dewat firearms into Canada from the US?

Geoff Robinson
Geoff Robinson

January 11th, 2008, 7:39 pm #1

Does anyone know if there is a way to import inert/dewat arms and munitions from the US into Canada? I know it is nearly possible to get anyone to ship weapon related parts, etc by mail and if they do, chances are they will be siezed as a security measure at the border.
I am not looking to bring in anything that is illegal. Just stuff that is hard to find in Canada.

Thanks

Geoff Robinson

dale
dale

January 11th, 2008, 11:45 pm #2

i have purchased 1911 parts and snap caps off ebay. they all came threw the post no problems.
but i do no that airsoft weapons or metal replica weapons cant be brought in.
so i would hazzard a guess that would include dewat weapons.
funny thing about our new firearm laws. it is legal to own or obtain dewat firearms (from canadian sources inside the country), but not airsoft or metal replica's. figure that one out.
now this is what i was told by customs canada a year or so back.

January 12th, 2008, 2:00 pm #3

Dale,

What do you know about importing Resin, or Rubber replicas into Canada?

Lance

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

January 12th, 2008, 3:19 pm #4

If you are talking about blue guns or red guns which are used as training aids yes you can import them. Of course these are brand names of which I am sure there are others. I usually stock these and bring them in for people who want them for martial arts training.

dale
dale

January 12th, 2008, 7:33 pm #5

good day,
i think that is a grey area.
i had a chance to purchase a load of the resin m1's, 45's, mp40's ect. that were made for band of brothers.
i contacted the local police for info. well that went well (sarcastic). he kept saying yes because they were rubber. i tryed to explain that they looked real. i wanted to be real sure,a lot of money was at stake.
so that is when i contacted customs. they weren't 100% sure either. i don't realy think they are aware of what is out there (regards to prop's for movies). but what i got out of the conversation was that if it looked real enough to be mistaken for a real weapon, it wasn't allowed to come in.
like i said about dewats. wich is a real weapon welded or modifed so it can't be made to fire. they are legal, or were legal (haven't checked lately). but plastic and cast metal replicas that could never be made to fire aren't legal.
other stuipid laws, ak 47 not legal but ch57 (not sure if that is the right designation) are. fn c1 not legal, m14's are. not to mention ar 15's, mini 14's are legal.
then there is the mag laws. restrict rifle mags to 5 rnds. what does that do. exceptions are 22 cal rifles 303's and m1 garands. 303's hold what 10 and the garand 8.but of course they don't have the bad gangsta image.
sorry for the rant. but some of the laws are just plain bad. you will never stop the bad guys getting guns in this country, we live next door to the largest gun manufacturer in the world. island countries such as japan (some of the harshest gun laws) and great briton have problems with guns.

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

January 12th, 2008, 9:28 pm #6

They lied to you. Sorry. you could have imported them legally

andrew
andrew

January 14th, 2008, 2:55 pm #7

Any firearm that is made to look exactly like a real firearm is classed as a replica therefore they are illegal to import. Airsoft guns are classed as replicas so they are also illegal to import...and if you own an airsoft and leave canada with it, it is illegal to bring it back even if it was purchased in Canada in the first place. Customs regulation state that it is legal to import deactivated firearms as long as they have been deemed deactivated in accordance with the deactivated firearm standards. It has to verified to be deactiveted before customs will release it. To import such a firearm, you need a valid licence allowing you to import that class of firearm and you need to register the firearm. Hope this helps.

David Tremain
David Tremain

January 15th, 2008, 7:07 pm #8

What are the rules about importing knives? I have a kukri back in England that was my grandfather's from WW2 and would like to bring it back next time I go over the pond. I can't seem to find anything on the Canadian Border Services website other than about switchblades - which are illegal. I actually managed to speak to someone about a year ago from Border Services, who didn't know what a kukri was, so after I described it he seemed to think that it would be OK provided I declared it on my Customs declaration. He also said that I might have to pay duty on the value of it. As far as I know, kukris are not that valuable; this is really sentimental value. I'd still like to know for sure whether it's OK or not, because it's all very well someone telling me this, but it's the dingbat at the wicket who's having a bad day and wants to confiscate it, that bothers me.

Any thoughts?

Kevin J.
Kevin J.

January 15th, 2008, 8:42 pm #9

I`ve brought in lots of knives, no problems.

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

January 15th, 2008, 9:03 pm #10

What are the rules about importing knives? I have a kukri back in England that was my grandfather's from WW2 and would like to bring it back next time I go over the pond. I can't seem to find anything on the Canadian Border Services website other than about switchblades - which are illegal. I actually managed to speak to someone about a year ago from Border Services, who didn't know what a kukri was, so after I described it he seemed to think that it would be OK provided I declared it on my Customs declaration. He also said that I might have to pay duty on the value of it. As far as I know, kukris are not that valuable; this is really sentimental value. I'd still like to know for sure whether it's OK or not, because it's all very well someone telling me this, but it's the dingbat at the wicket who's having a bad day and wants to confiscate it, that bothers me.

Any thoughts?
They dont really have a issue with fixed blade knives. It is the folders that open too easily that they have an issue with. Declare it for say $40 and register it assuming you are having it sent to you and you should be fine. Make sure it is marked as a gift.