Camouflaged pixie suit?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Camouflaged pixie suit?

January 5th, 2008, 2:30 pm #1

Hi there

Here's Dragon Models latest large-scale figure..

http://www.dragon-models.com/html/70591p1.htm

Did the camouflaged RAC suit exist?

To my uneducated eye, the pattern looks similar to that used on Dennison smocks.

Steve

January 5th, 2008, 4:06 pm #2

Steve Forth now has it in his collection...
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

James Pringle
James Pringle

January 5th, 2008, 5:27 pm #3

Happy New Years Mike.

Steve Forth
Steve Forth

January 5th, 2008, 6:51 pm #4

Hi there

To my uneducated eye, the pattern looks similar to that used on Dennison smocks.

Steve
The camo pixie suits utilize the same camo pattern as that found on the windproof oversmock and trousers. This is similar in concept to the pattern used on the Dennison smock but there are differences in colors and pattern. I believe that Mike has examples of both garments in the reference section if you want to compare.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

January 5th, 2008, 9:09 pm #5

Hi there

Steve
Here are some images of the two Camouflaged Tank Suits that I have in my collection, the 'Gods of Militaria Collecting' looked favourably on me in the late 1980s as I purchased the 1945 dated garment from a dealer in the US and then within a week was given the 1944 dated garment from another collector.

Camouflaged Windproof Trousers used to be very easy to find and purchase in the UK, again in the 1980s and I have a few of them in my collection that I picked up over success trips. The Smock was always the hard and expensive item to find and belive it or not, I do not have one in my collection. Funny a rather well used one turned up in November 11 display at my Son's Middle School, the family saved it as it belonged to the Canadian Veteran Father/Grandfather who wore it in WWII in NW Europe.

As for the manufacturing details of all of the line of WWII British Camouflage clothing, there are laods of myths and legends floating around about these garments yet no-one has really uncovered the actual story from primary source data about these items.

The other difficult task is finding a photograph of a Canadian or a Brit for that matter actually wearing one of these Camouflaged Tank Suits during the War. With them being manufactured ain 1944, they must have been issued.

Here are some images of the garments I own.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

January 5th, 2008, 9:30 pm #6

Hi there

Steve
For those with a general interest in what these garments look like, this book is very good.

[/IMG]

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

January 6th, 2008, 1:48 pm #7

Here are some images of the two Camouflaged Tank Suits that I have in my collection, the 'Gods of Militaria Collecting' looked favourably on me in the late 1980s as I purchased the 1945 dated garment from a dealer in the US and then within a week was given the 1944 dated garment from another collector.

Camouflaged Windproof Trousers used to be very easy to find and purchase in the UK, again in the 1980s and I have a few of them in my collection that I picked up over success trips. The Smock was always the hard and expensive item to find and belive it or not, I do not have one in my collection. Funny a rather well used one turned up in November 11 display at my Son's Middle School, the family saved it as it belonged to the Canadian Veteran Father/Grandfather who wore it in WWII in NW Europe.

As for the manufacturing details of all of the line of WWII British Camouflage clothing, there are laods of myths and legends floating around about these garments yet no-one has really uncovered the actual story from primary source data about these items.

The other difficult task is finding a photograph of a Canadian or a Brit for that matter actually wearing one of these Camouflaged Tank Suits during the War. With them being manufactured ain 1944, they must have been issued.

Here are some images of the garments I own.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I know it is subjective depending on the camera lighting and the settings of the monitor you view it on, but the green seems to be quite a lime green (or perhaps early spring colour.) It is always interesting to see items in the flesh so you get a real appreciation for the colours and fabric textures.

I find the various camouflage patterns that have been used quite interesting, although I have not got too many examples of the older patterns (or the latest for that matter.)

Ed: is the fabric like a heavy canvas or is it more like the cotton poplins that are a little smooth because of the calendering treatment(sp?) process?

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

January 6th, 2008, 3:19 pm #8

The material used on the Tank Suit is sort of a heavy canvass used on other clothing.

January 7th, 2008, 1:54 am #9

For those with a general interest in what these garments look like, this book is very good.

[/IMG]
Hi there

Thanks for the responses.

I knew you guys would know what up.

Ed, any reason the jackets are harder to find than the trousers?

Steve

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

January 7th, 2008, 2:44 am #10

The Camouflaged Windproof Oversmock was a very practical garment that was used by some units of the British Army (SAS) well into the 1980s. The Oversmocks last saw operational use in the Falkland Islands in the early 1980s.