Camouflage Exhibit at CWM

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Camouflage Exhibit at CWM

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 6th, 2009, 2:45 am #1

The latest temporary exhibit at the CWM "Camouflage" opened last night. This is a thematic exhibit that was brought over from the IWM in London and gives a broad overview of the military and civilian applications of camouflage and how what was once a method of military concealment has now become high fashion. For the average Mom, Dad and the two kids, - the clientele catered to by the CWM; the material presented will be new, for anyone who has served in or studied the military, for the most part the display will not cover new ground although the fashion side presents some interesting artifacts. There are some nice military pieces in this display and what was brought over from the IWM was augmented by the CWM's own national collection.

I had seen this display when it was in the IWM so I knew what to expect beforehand. Do not go into this display expecting to see every type of camouflage used by say Germany, Britain, Canada or the US, there are a few pieces on display but nothing that covers a complete lineage. Nor is there any groundbreaking information on how or why certain clothing camouflage patterns were designed, but this type of material does not attract the average museum visitor so that leaves it up to the enthusiasts to research and find the answers to these questions. There are some text panels on the early printed Italian camouflage which I thought were interesting. There is no information on Canadian CADPAT and how it has influenced designs in the US and the only item on display is a used CG634 Helmet Cover.

Personally I think that all, and there are not all that many, of the different camouflage patterns used by the Canadian military could have been on display with some text explaining the changes. There could have been a comparison of what the Germans, British and US were doing in say the Second World War, but again I am not sure there is any interest within the CWM to do this kind of research nor the public interest to sustain it. At the end of the exhibit there is a selection of international camouflage which although nice seemed to me to be a bit disjointed as it covered examples from the Great War to current patterns. I would have tried to perhaps get one example of a current camouflage shirt or jacket from each of the member NATO countries in order to show the diversity of the alliance and the trends as some patterns are related and others are not.

Those invited to the opening were asked to wear camouflage, at the last minute I opted not to wear my CADPAT and went for a Second War 'Commando' look. Everyone who showed up in camouflage was given the opportunity to pose for a photo shoot. I saw one person in CADPAT, a couple of guys in DPM, one in Canadian Garrison and lots of commercial and hunting camouflage.

Anyone visiting the CWM should take the opportunity to check out this display and I have attached some images from last night's festivities.

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

June 6th, 2009, 4:20 am #2

Thanks for keeping us up on the new CWM exhibit. I'll have to go see it.

By the way I was pleased to see you in Brayley's Illustrated History of Bayonets sporting the Nella C7 bayonet in the load carrying vest when I read through my new book tonight.

June 8th, 2009, 10:42 pm #3

The latest temporary exhibit at the CWM "Camouflage" opened last night. This is a thematic exhibit that was brought over from the IWM in London and gives a broad overview of the military and civilian applications of camouflage and how what was once a method of military concealment has now become high fashion. For the average Mom, Dad and the two kids, - the clientele catered to by the CWM; the material presented will be new, for anyone who has served in or studied the military, for the most part the display will not cover new ground although the fashion side presents some interesting artifacts. There are some nice military pieces in this display and what was brought over from the IWM was augmented by the CWM's own national collection.

I had seen this display when it was in the IWM so I knew what to expect beforehand. Do not go into this display expecting to see every type of camouflage used by say Germany, Britain, Canada or the US, there are a few pieces on display but nothing that covers a complete lineage. Nor is there any groundbreaking information on how or why certain clothing camouflage patterns were designed, but this type of material does not attract the average museum visitor so that leaves it up to the enthusiasts to research and find the answers to these questions. There are some text panels on the early printed Italian camouflage which I thought were interesting. There is no information on Canadian CADPAT and how it has influenced designs in the US and the only item on display is a used CG634 Helmet Cover.

Personally I think that all, and there are not all that many, of the different camouflage patterns used by the Canadian military could have been on display with some text explaining the changes. There could have been a comparison of what the Germans, British and US were doing in say the Second World War, but again I am not sure there is any interest within the CWM to do this kind of research nor the public interest to sustain it. At the end of the exhibit there is a selection of international camouflage which although nice seemed to me to be a bit disjointed as it covered examples from the Great War to current patterns. I would have tried to perhaps get one example of a current camouflage shirt or jacket from each of the member NATO countries in order to show the diversity of the alliance and the trends as some patterns are related and others are not.

Those invited to the opening were asked to wear camouflage, at the last minute I opted not to wear my CADPAT and went for a Second War 'Commando' look. Everyone who showed up in camouflage was given the opportunity to pose for a photo shoot. I saw one person in CADPAT, a couple of guys in DPM, one in Canadian Garrison and lots of commercial and hunting camouflage.

Anyone visiting the CWM should take the opportunity to check out this display and I have attached some images from last night's festivities.

For the vinyl bra and panties I see. Typical of such an organization

June 8th, 2009, 10:57 pm #4

Do you.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Geoff Middleton
Geoff Middleton

June 10th, 2009, 3:00 am #5

looks really bad in a camo bikini?

June 10th, 2009, 3:17 am #6

If he took it off.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ted Harris
Ted Harris

June 10th, 2009, 3:39 am #7

I need therapy now after a visulalization like that

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

June 10th, 2009, 2:20 pm #8

looks really bad in a camo bikini?
...if it's god camouflage you shouldn't really 'see' him in it.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

June 20th, 2009, 1:35 am #9

Here is what the Ottawa Citizen had to say on 6 June about the new exhibit at the CWM.