Calgary area mystery militaria buyer

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Calgary area mystery militaria buyer

September 9th, 2009, 11:49 pm #1

I never went to see who this was. Anyone go?

Kevin?

Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

September 9th, 2009, 11:57 pm #2

Michael,

All I could find out on open sources is that it's subscribed to someone in Peterborough, Ontario.

Cheers,
Dan.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

September 9th, 2009, 11:58 pm #3

Kevin?
Certainly takes the meaning of 'collecting' to a whole new level.

September 10th, 2009, 3:52 am #4

Kevin?
I believe he was here just prior to Calgary. A friend sold a few badges to him and a colleague of his took an SS Dagger and Japanese sword. He wasn't much interested in the sword but made an offer for the Dagger. I don't know the ultimate outcome. When asked he apparently explained that he represented (or was one of)a group of collectors
who would them share the spoils, so to speak.

FWIW,
Ron V

John Sidaway
John Sidaway

September 13th, 2009, 7:01 pm #5

Kevin?
I saw this ad and was intrigued. I took a couple of originally badged battle dress's and some harder to find printed insignia. Everything was low balled and I know it would fetch more on ebay than what this guy was willing to offer. Of course price is so subjective but I did not feel fair prices were offered. The ad probably was not cheap and I wonder if he actually made out like a bandit of just PO'd people. I did not get the impression he was willing to pay anything near what he indicated in his ad. Just my impression. He would have been more successful with this 10 or 15 years ago maybe?

Rob Dekker
Rob Dekker

September 13th, 2009, 8:17 pm #6

Well...what did you expect? He's not there to purchase items from collectors nor pay retail prices...

Anyhow...who was this guy? It's certainly a flashback to the 1980's...the age of 'hotel buys'. I wonder how successful was this buying campaign? Did you see anyone else there with items to sell?

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

September 14th, 2009, 12:09 am #7

Kevin?
Anyway, I have always steered clear of these. The watch and jewellery community is famous for these buys. BUT, I have taken all my wife's gold and mailed it to a company that's going to make me VERY wealthy, thank you very much.

Our watch and clock club does a show yearly and our small Calgary hotel suite runs something like $650 a day so if this guy scores a nice dagger or pickelhaube (sp?) each show, it could pay off. At least he's showing gumption.

September 14th, 2009, 12:24 am #8

I was tempted to take my collection of repros down to see if he knew shinola from shinola, but that would make me part of the problem, and not part of the solution. Like the rest of the guys, still curious as to whom the feller was, but I probably don't know the guy anyway. Interesting responses, thanks to all. My problem is that I am a hoarder so even my legit stuff is worth zero because I will never sell it!
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

September 15th, 2009, 11:27 pm #9

I saw this ad and was intrigued. I took a couple of originally badged battle dress's and some harder to find printed insignia. Everything was low balled and I know it would fetch more on ebay than what this guy was willing to offer. Of course price is so subjective but I did not feel fair prices were offered. The ad probably was not cheap and I wonder if he actually made out like a bandit of just PO'd people. I did not get the impression he was willing to pay anything near what he indicated in his ad. Just my impression. He would have been more successful with this 10 or 15 years ago maybe?
Hello John. If WW2 battledress I am interested. mmaceachern1@cogeco.ca Thanks. Mike.

Brent
Brent

September 16th, 2009, 4:38 am #10

I was tempted to take my collection of repros down to see if he knew shinola from shinola, but that would make me part of the problem, and not part of the solution. Like the rest of the guys, still curious as to whom the feller was, but I probably don't know the guy anyway. Interesting responses, thanks to all. My problem is that I am a hoarder so even my legit stuff is worth zero because I will never sell it!
This guy ran the same ad in the Hamilton Spectator. He was set up at a local hotel for two days. I was tempted to walk in with a rare piece and see what he offered just to test him and see if I recognized him but never got a chance.