British Campain Medals (miniature display)

Greg Walker
Greg Walker

April 26th, 2012, 10:42 pm #1

I picked up this display of miniature British Campain Medals.
I'm wondering if anyone can comment on who might have produced this, when, why, and perhaps approximate value.

Many thanks in advance
Greg
Canadian ATO

Greg Walker
Greg Walker

April 26th, 2012, 10:47 pm #2

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

April 27th, 2012, 1:40 pm #3

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on who might have produced this, when, why, and perhaps approximate value.

Many thanks in advance
Greg
Canadian ATO

The bottom row has a VC, several bravery decorations, DSO, and what looks like a jubilee medal.

Given the nature of the display and the lack of "branding" or captioning, looks like "some guy" put some miniatures (which are available commercially to anyone who wants to buy them) into a frame in a way that pleased his eye.

I don't get any sense this was done in the same way as, say, the miniature British and Canadian regimental/corps cap badge diplay sets that were sold a few decades ago, on the red and blue display boards.

It may be worth pointing out that "Miniature" medals are a standard part of military dress regulations - they are worn in mess dress by all ranks rather than the full size medals. All the medals on the display can be obtained for less than - IIRC - 10 dollars each, brand new. I'm not sure if there is a market in "collectible" miniatures, or if anyone collects by certain makers, etc. My miniatures are not named.

Last edited by dorosh on April 27th, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Greg Walker
Greg Walker

April 27th, 2012, 10:14 pm #4

Thanks for your reply Micheal. I'm aware that all the miniatures are available from a few sources such as JoeDrouin.com. Yes, the value of the set, if broken up, could probably be calculated that way. Probably an average of $25 per medal x 60 medals. But I get the sense that the set might have been put together in some sort of limited edition production run. It does not look or feel like a one off item. Perhaps the same way the prementioned cap badges were done?

I suppose it does not matter than much since this is going to adorn the wall of my man cave as a conversation piece. However if it were part of a larger set, or had some provenience to add to the conversation, that would enhance the conversation.

Just imagine a set done the same way for the Canadian medals...hmmmm....

April 27th, 2012, 10:25 pm #5

It's possible that this is a "limited edition" that was done in multiples, but there are a couple of things that seem to mitigate against it - I have no actual knowledge one way or another, but my observations are:

a) the strange mix of "gallantry" and "campaign" medals, plus the addition of a "commemorative" at the very end. There are a whole series of jubilee and coronation medals. Why only one? Unless I've misidentified the final medal in the sequence.

b) the mounting of the medals seems a bit amateurish though the photos may betray the true quality; a good quality presentation would include, one would think, shadowboxing/insets, etc., as well as at the least captions - though perhaps there is a second frame with the names/post-nominals/descriptions which you are missing or not illustrating

c) the nameplate is non-descript; the cap badge displays and other similar things over the years usually had some kind of branding, or even corporate sponsorship - remember the Hiram Walker Highland Series prints, showing officers of Canadian highland regiments in full dress?

Maybe I'm jumping in too soon - would be interested in other opinions.

Meant to say earlier, though, that whatever it is, it is a nice collection of miniatures in its own right and should make a nice addition to your war room.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 28th, 2012, 1:36 am #6

Even though the frame appears to be of good quality, the way in which the miniatures have been mounted and the fact that they are not in their correct order would lead me to believe that this is not a presentation set.

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

April 28th, 2012, 2:05 am #7

Good point re: order of precedence. The cap badge presentation pieces were done as I recall in order of precedence rather than alphabetically.

There is of course a correct sequence of wear for medals and decorations - the VC would supercede any other decorations and one would expect it to be found first in any display - which isn't the case in the frame displayed.

April 28th, 2012, 1:59 pm #8

I don't pretend to be a medals expert, but to me it appears that the campaign medals occupy the top 3 rows, and they appear to be ordered chronologically (the top left medal appears to be the Waterloo medal). The Gallantry medals are on the bottom row, and appear to be ordered somewhat by precedence (Victoria Cross, George Cross, DSO, (not sure what the next 2 are), MC ...

It's not a complete set, but not a bad start.
Dan

Andrew Upton
Andrew Upton

April 28th, 2012, 2:32 pm #9

"Victoria Cross, George Cross, DSO, (not sure what the next 2 are), MC..."

I'm pretty certain the first of the two is the "Indian Distinguished Service Medal", but I can't place the other yet.

Jaime Cline
Jaime Cline

May 12th, 2012, 7:33 pm #10

Many thanks in advance
Greg
Canadian ATO

The Danbury Mint. We have one on display here at the office with a book giving a history of each medal. You will notice they are all British issue, no CVSM on the WW2 section. I believe it was one of those type of mail order where every six weeks they would send you another medal to add to the frame.
I hope this gives some insight into you frame.

Jaime