bought this book for $2

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

bought this book for $2

Ted
Ted

July 22nd, 2008, 11:01 pm #1

here are some pictures from it.

[/IMG]

when i looked through the book i found this photo inbetween the sheets...........No.3 Company,2nd BN SD&G Highlanders,Petawawa,September 1940...very nice picture

July 24th, 2008, 3:38 am #2

I paid a tad more (something like $20.00, but then I didn't have the 'internet' so it was $25.00 incl. gas). No personal pics inside but I did find a signed copy of 'The Pictorial History of the Canada's Army Overseas' (signed) by Blair Gilmour (compiled and edited by Fred Whitcombe) for $10.00 Cdn. This stuff's still out there (as well as the truth, according to 'Mulder').

Happy hunting, Dave

Bruce MacMillan
Bruce MacMillan

July 24th, 2008, 3:30 pm #3

It pays to peruse even the smallest used book stores. I also found a copy of "The Pictorial History..." that was signed by Fred and Blair. The dedication was "To Field Marshall Lord Wavell on the occasion of your visit to Canada -1949". Wavell died a year later. The book has a tag from The Victory Club, Seymour St, London, which is near the Marble Arch. Perhaps his estate donated it to the club but somehow it made it's way back to North America.

Inside were two modern photos taken at the same spot as the one on page 31,which is a column of bren gun carriers moving through an English village.There was also a newspaper clipping with the obit of Col Charles Stacey.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 27th, 2008, 3:03 pm #4

[/IMG]

when i looked through the book i found this photo inbetween the sheets...........No.3 Company,2nd BN SD&G Highlanders,Petawawa,September 1940...very nice picture

"Holland and the Canadians" was a commemorative publication that was printed for distribution by the Netherlands Government to the Canadian Army in 1945. There were two versions, yours which is ring-bound and was issued to ORs and a bound version that was issued to Officers.

Ted, you bought yours at a good price with the added bonus of the group photograph.

July 28th, 2008, 11:45 pm #5

i was quite pleased to find the photo inside...i guess listening to all you guys who know what to look for has finally kicked in

thanks again

Ted

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 29th, 2008, 8:36 pm #6

[/IMG]

Here are images of the two editions in my collection. My first ORs version I bought back in 1979. The Officer's edition has the Canada Coat of Arms embossed in the back cover.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]