Belt Buckles

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Belt Buckles

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 12th, 2011, 11:12 pm #1

Any idea which came first, the Canadian 1964 Pattern or the Austrian?

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

February 13th, 2011, 12:53 am #2

Looks like an "83" on the Austrian buckle - is that what the southern Germans call "a hint"?

Never could figure out in Garrison Dress, when they brought back what I presume was the same pattern, only in black, whether that flat little piece went on the top or the bottom. I always wore it on the top. I see the photo shows it both ways.

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

February 13th, 2011, 12:53 pm #3

Any idea which came first, the Canadian 1964 Pattern or the Austrian?

Based on the way the same maker (Ulbrichts Witwe (Ulbricht's widow) of Schwanenstedt marked Austrian helmets, I would say 83 does indeed stand for the date of manufacture.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 13th, 2011, 1:06 pm #4

Looks like an "83" on the Austrian buckle - is that what the southern Germans call "a hint"?

Never could figure out in Garrison Dress, when they brought back what I presume was the same pattern, only in black, whether that flat little piece went on the top or the bottom. I always wore it on the top. I see the photo shows it both ways.
Yes, I spotted the '83' while looking over the buckle. I was not sure if the '83' was a year of manufacture or a casting mark. I don't suppose anyone knows how long the Austrians have been using this style of buckle, let alone if it was influenced by the Canadian 1964 Pattern?

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

February 13th, 2011, 4:40 pm #5

You're actually ASKING us!

I thought this was another quiz!

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

February 13th, 2011, 9:14 pm #6

I know, not often I ask a question. I thought it was kind of interesting that the Austrians used a version of the Canadian 1964 Pattern Waistbelt Buckle.