Beach Groups

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Beach Groups

Bill
Bill

April 28th, 2006, 9:55 pm #1

Some time ago I remember reading an article about Beach Groups Canadian Army D-Day. Can someone direct me to the publication / source? Was it you Ed that authored the article?
Mike delete the string that I screwed up, please.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 28th, 2006, 10:29 pm #2

Several years ago I had an article published on RCN Beach Commando 'W', but they were different then a Beach Group.

Bill
Bill

April 28th, 2006, 11:12 pm #3

Thanks Ed. That is not what I am looking for.
Does anyone have any information on beach groups? 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, D-Day?

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 29th, 2006, 12:42 am #4

I believe the Beach groups were British troops and there was an article on them in Canadian Military History Magazine out of Wilfrid Laurier University.

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

April 29th, 2006, 12:27 pm #5

Thanks Ed. That is not what I am looking for.
Does anyone have any information on beach groups? 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, D-Day?
Hi Bill;

On 6 Jun 44, 102 Beach Sub-Area Group's AOR was Juno.

102 Beach Sub-Area Group was made up of 7 and 8 Beach Groups, which consisted of the following:

102 Beach Sub-Area HQ 7 Signals, R Sigs
242 & 244 Provost Companys

8 King's Regiment
5 Royal Bershire Regiment

22 & 23 Beach Recovery Sections, REME

HQ 7 GHQ Tps Engineers, RE
72, 85, 184 & 240 Field Companys, RE
19 & 20 Stores Sections, RE
59 Mechanical Equipment Section, RE
11 Port Operating Group, RE
1034 Port Operating Company, RE
966 Inland Water Transport Operating Company, RE

58, 115, 144, 170, 190, 225, 243, 293 Pioneer Companys
HQ 30 Transport Column, RASC
199 & 282 General Transport Companys, RASC
139 & 140 Detail Issue Depots, RASC
240 & 242 Petrol Depots, RASC

15 Ordnance Beach Detail, RAOC
45 Ordnance Ammunition Coy, RAOC

32 Casualty Clearing Station, RAMC
1, 2, 33, 34 Field Dressing Stations, RAMC
33, 34, 45, 46, 56 Field Surgical Units, RAMC
13, 14, 36 Field Transfusion Units, RAMC
3 & 4 Field Sanitary Sections, RAMC
21 Port Detail, RAMC

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

April 29th, 2006, 3:12 pm #6

So I take it a "Beach Group" was simply an admin grouping of various supporting services necessary for the running of the beach as a disembarkation area?

Who commanded the beach groups? A Beachmaster?

To whom did that commander report - the naval forces supporting the landings, the Division that actually took the beach, to I British Corps to whom the assault divisions belonged, to 2nd British Army, or to 21st Army Group?

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

April 29th, 2006, 3:23 pm #7

Michael, Michael, Michael.....questions, questions, questions..... I'll get back to you with the chain of command .....

Cheers

Mark

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

April 29th, 2006, 7:47 pm #8

So I take it a "Beach Group" was simply an admin grouping of various supporting services necessary for the running of the beach as a disembarkation area?

Who commanded the beach groups? A Beachmaster?

To whom did that commander report - the naval forces supporting the landings, the Division that actually took the beach, to I British Corps to whom the assault divisions belonged, to 2nd British Army, or to 21st Army Group?
Hi Michael;

You wrote "So I take it a "Beach Group" was simply an admin grouping of various supporting services necessary for the running of the beach as a disembarkation area?" - yes, more or less, they also looked after embarkation of wounded, POWs, etc. They were also responsible for (after the assaulting troops had cleared the beach) such things as setting up and maintaining beach exits, traffic control through these exits, the unloading of incoming stores, supplies, ammunition and the storage of these materials within the bridgehead, the reception of incoming personnel (reinforcements), etc.

Your second question: "Who commanded the beach groups? A Beachmaster?" - the beach groups were under command of the assaulting division during the assault phase of operations, but the beach groups themselves were sub-units of No. 11 Line of Communication Area, which was commanded by a Major-General. The beach group itself was commanded by a Principal Beach Master, who in the case of Juno, had two Beach Masters under him (one for Mike and one for Nan), who in turn had an Assistand Beach Master under them, one for each sector (Mike Green Mike Red, Nan Green, Nan White and Nan Red). The beach groups stayed in location, (as the bridgehead was expanded) passing from rear area to rear area, ie: Div rear to Corps rear to Army rear, until such time as Headquarters, No. 11 Line of Communication Area, landed in Normandy (11 Jun 44).

Further reading on this can be found starting on page 625 of Stacey's The Victory Campaign.

Hope this answers your questions Michael.

Cheers

Mark

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

April 29th, 2006, 7:50 pm #9

Heh, Mark, you could have just posted the page number. But I appreciate the answer, didn't realize it was in Stacey.

I've done well the last 2 months, I picked up

*The Victory Campaign by Stacey
*The Italian Campaign by Nicholson
*Six Years of War by Stacey (in other words, Official History trilogy)
*Canadian Militia Badges 18?? - 1920 by Mazeas
*Call to Arms by Love
*Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army (1964)

I think these are the major "must haves" no? I had Mazeas 1920-1953 already.

I guess the only thing I am lacking is

*Arms, Men and Governments by Stacey

Michael Dorosh
Michael Dorosh

April 29th, 2006, 7:52 pm #10

Charlton for CEF badges, which I have.

And the Service Publications line of UpClose books for uniform and equipment stuff.

And Summers' Tangled Web.

What am I missing?

Just got the Europe 1944 book on vehicles, too, on ebay.