Battle Dress insignia placement

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Battle Dress insignia placement

Richard Law
Richard Law

May 31st, 2008, 8:21 pm #1

Gents,
Does anybody know how far the rank chevron goes down from the shoulder and how far the WO crowns go up from the cuff? If you have the reference handy, how far does the div patch go down?

Many thanks!

June 1st, 2008, 5:14 pm #2

Rich,

Shoulder Titles are placed against the seam at the top of the arm.
Div Patches go 3 inches (bottom of badge) from the top seam.
Canada patch (if req) is placed 1/2 way between bottom of shoulder title and top of the Div Patch.
L/Cpl rank is placed 8.5 inches from seam at the top of the arm to the bottom point of the badge.
Cpl rank is placed 9.5 inches from the seam at the top of the arm to the bottom point of the badge.
Sgt rank is placed 10.5 inches from the seam at the top of the arm to the bottom point of the badge.
WO ranks go 6.5 inches from the cuff to the bottom of the badge.
Good Conduct stripes go 6.75 inches from the cuff to the top point of the badge.

Lance

Richard Law
Richard Law

June 1st, 2008, 9:10 pm #3

Thanks Lance,
I was hoping for a certain author/publisher whom I know to help me out(DAD!!!) but I suppose he's too busy having his son out of the house!

Thanks again mate!

June 1st, 2008, 11:54 pm #4

Your response is amazing, Lance! Thanks.
It was common practice to simply hand the tunic to the regimental tailor for the sewing of badges, so not too many soldiers, if any, were ever aware of the regulations.
Where did you find them?
What about marksmanship badges and trade badges?

June 2nd, 2008, 1:27 pm #5

Rich,

Shoulder Titles are placed against the seam at the top of the arm.
Div Patches go 3 inches (bottom of badge) from the top seam.
Canada patch (if req) is placed 1/2 way between bottom of shoulder title and top of the Div Patch.
L/Cpl rank is placed 8.5 inches from seam at the top of the arm to the bottom point of the badge.
Cpl rank is placed 9.5 inches from the seam at the top of the arm to the bottom point of the badge.
Sgt rank is placed 10.5 inches from the seam at the top of the arm to the bottom point of the badge.
WO ranks go 6.5 inches from the cuff to the bottom of the badge.
Good Conduct stripes go 6.75 inches from the cuff to the top point of the badge.

Lance
The div patches are 2 inches high - placing the bottom of the badge 3 inches from the shoulder seam places the top of the badge one inch below. That seems way too high on the sleeve to me, but I may be misreading your comments.

Or did you mean the distance from the bottom of the regimental shoulder flash/CANADA flash to the top of the div patch? You use the phrase "top seam" which makes your meaning unclear if that is the case.
Last edited by dorosh on June 2nd, 2008, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

June 2nd, 2008, 2:08 pm #6

Sorry about that, the Div badge is 5 inches from top shoulder seam to the bottom of the badge.

Lance Harrisson

June 2nd, 2008, 2:21 pm #7

Your response is amazing, Lance! Thanks.
It was common practice to simply hand the tunic to the regimental tailor for the sewing of badges, so not too many soldiers, if any, were ever aware of the regulations.
Where did you find them?
What about marksmanship badges and trade badges?
ALex.

I haven't found any 'official' army regulations all in one place on paper. there are however bits of information that can be found if you dig deep enough into the books, old routine orders and the likes.
Between what can be found in Jean Boucherys books, measuring and averaging originals, and a little research. I came up with what should be the correct badge placement to the nearest half inch.
Marksmanship and trade badges I'll have to get back to you on, as we're opening a whole new ball of wax with them, there's also General Service badges, Mars Badges, wound stripes, drivers badges, the list goes on and on.

Lance Harrisson

Clive M Law - Service Publications
Clive M Law - Service Publications

June 2nd, 2008, 3:42 pm #8

Sorry about that, the Div badge is 5 inches from top shoulder seam to the bottom of the badge.

Lance Harrisson
Mike's book gives this information and, from memory 'cause I don't have the book in front of me but I reviewed it last night, the top of a formation patch should be 3 inches from the shoulder strap unless it is a diamond shape in which cas it is 2 inches.
Rank stripes vary from 9 inches to 9 1/2 and 10 1/2 for Lance -Cpl, Cpl and Sgt respectively. This is the distance to the bottom of the chevron.