B114663 F. R. Branscombe

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

B114663 F. R. Branscombe

Jordan Baker
Jordan Baker

May 14th, 2010, 3:07 am #1

Hi there

B114663 F. R. Branscombe

Can anyone help me figure out which unit this person would have been with. I picked up a partial set of webbing at a show last week. All the pieces have his # and name on them.

Thanks
Jordan Baker

May 14th, 2010, 1:25 pm #2

Hi Jordan;

B114663 is from the block B110001 to B115000 which was allotted to No. 2 District Depot (Toronto) for 'General Service' recruits, so it is quite hard to say which branch of the Canadian Army he ended up serving with.

Cheers

Mark

Jordan Baker
Jordan Baker

May 14th, 2010, 1:41 pm #3

Thanks Mark

To bad it can't be narrowed down further. Thats a lot of areas he could have gone off to. My grandfathers # is in the same block and he went to the RCA Survey wing at Pet for the war.

Jordan

Craig
Craig

May 15th, 2010, 2:54 am #4

Hi there

B114663 F. R. Branscombe

Can anyone help me figure out which unit this person would have been with. I picked up a partial set of webbing at a show last week. All the pieces have his # and name on them.

Thanks
Jordan Baker
With his name and service number, you can apply for a copy of his service file from Library and Archives Canada. His service records will tell you exactly who he served with and when. If the veteran has not been deceased for more than 20 years, then the file will be vetted and much of the personal information will be blocked out, but you will still be able to see who he served with. I believe the service is free of charge through LAC, but there is a substantial wait time and some paperwork to fill out. There are freelance researches who charge a small fee to go to LAC and research the file for you if you cannot get to Ottawa in person. I have hired a gentleman in Ottawa to get me copies of the service files of several veterans this way. He charges a small fee for each file and I usually recieve a copy about a month after I first contact him with my request.

May 15th, 2010, 5:46 am #5

Craig,

Can you confirm that you have been able to get files for men you cannot prove have been deceased for 20 years? My understanding was that such files were not available except to direct family members. If so, I'd be curious as to how much detail you have been able to get. I'd also be interested in who you use for such research in Ottawa. Contact me offline if you would prefer, kevin (at) reginarifles.ca.

Kevin Lambie
http://www.reginarifles.ca

Craig
Craig

May 15th, 2010, 8:00 pm #6

The gentleman I use to research the files for me is Arnie Kay. He came highly recommended to me and I would recommend him highly to anyone else looking for somebody to research files from LAC. He encouraged me to pass his name on to anyone requiring research. If you have any questions regarding what files he can access, or what type of information can be found in them, you can contact him directly. I don't know if I am allowed to post email addresses on these forums, but his email address can easily be found with a google search (he is very well-known for this type of work).

Olga Lioudvinevitch
Olga Lioudvinevitch

May 21st, 2010, 2:50 am #7

Hello there all, I have recently bought a vintage trunk which now serves as a table in my room, the trunk seems to have belonged to an F.R. Branscombe. This trunk seems to have traveled a lot on the Nassau cruise line and the tag on the trunk has a partial address on it; 33 Washington (What I believe is Street but could be anything) New York. This may help you in your search. Anyhow, I was really interested in finding out who this trunk belonged to and perhaps if you figure out who F.R. Branscombe is you can inform me.