Army Cadets

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Army Cadets

Clive M. Law - Service Publications

April 9th, 2005, 8:46 pm #1

I recommend visiting the unofficial army cadet site at http://www.armycadethistory.com
If you can help by supplying info or photos, then please do so.

Clive

Chris Rodusek
Chris Rodusek

April 10th, 2005, 1:29 am #2

Very interesting site Clive.

I was wondering if any former army cadet from the 50's can tell me what kit they were issued please.

thanks
Chris

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

April 10th, 2005, 4:49 am #3

Chris:

Send me an e-mail off-line and I'll tell you exactly what I was issued in 1955.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 10th, 2005, 3:33 pm #4

I recommend visiting the unofficial army cadet site at http://www.armycadethistory.com
If you can help by supplying info or photos, then please do so.

Clive
Thanks, Clive, for pointing out this site. Its a real step back in time seeing the pics of the Banff camp et al.

DT.

April 10th, 2005, 3:43 pm #5

I was Banff Class of 1970. What year were you there?

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 10th, 2005, 8:12 pm #6

in 1957. Simply a three week holiday. No rockhounds, no kayaking or canoeing, no glacier climbing. Spent one week touring all the tourist spots, one week living in a marquee tent in the hills and one week in the camp as duty company which included providing cadets each night to go dancing at the Banff Springs Hotel. I was also the camp QM in 1974 when Base supply CFB Calgary supported it. I sent an MWO to be the RQMS and I stayed in Calgary but visited the camp to enjoy a day away.

Other camps include Ipperwash 1954 for the six week general military training course, Borden 1955 for the Infantry Signaller course which got me two stripes when I joined the Reserves two years later.

Also ran the adventure training activity in 1975 at Vernon BC camp. Spent the summer at the Glen Emma training range.

The good old days of youth and exuberance before old age and treachery took hold.

DT.

Mike D
Mike D

April 11th, 2005, 9:40 pm #7

I checked out the banff website and noticed that a cadet from the airborne cadet corps had died while there, does anyone know how? I was on GD staff there in 1985, had a great time and met lots of friends, there were cadets from England and Germany there as well.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

April 11th, 2005, 10:38 pm #8

I attended Ipperwash as a cadet in 1956 (E Coy), then re-attended as a Corporal Instructor in 1958 (K Coy).

In between, I attended Borden at Cadet Trades Training Camp (CTTC), in the D & M Course, achieving the appointed position of CSM for 2MT for Grad Pde.

Great times, as a teen, images forever engraved in my mind.

Acer Acerpori.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 12th, 2005, 3:59 am #9

We got $100.00 for doing it. Best summer job I ever had.

DT.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

April 12th, 2005, 9:54 pm #10

Yeah, Doug...didn't we get cash paid about 30 bucks for our first leave after,what, 3 weeks, then get the balance, cash paid, just before going home?

Imagine...$100.00...that was in the mid fifties...at todays rate, perhaps we're comparing that amount to about?????

$100.00 bought my clothes and books for the next year of High School.