Any information appreciated

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Any information appreciated

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

July 10th, 2007, 10:27 pm #1

I am sure somebody out there knows more than I do so hopefully somebody can advise me if I am correct on the below listing? Thanks in advance
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Don Russel
Don Russel

July 11th, 2007, 1:55 am #2

If you don't know what it is, why did you list it? If you really just want to draw everbody's attention to it as you have done with a dozen of your auctions in the last month, I don't think that is the intent of this forum. Do you Dave?

Jaime Cline
Jaime Cline

July 11th, 2007, 2:30 am #3

I don't really think Dave is trying to draw attention for bids for this auction, he is asking a question.

In other posts by Dave, if he's plugging his auctions he says so directly. Dave doesn't beat around the bush! Also in a past post Mike D even mentions he doesn't mind shameless plugs.

The amount of advice & service that Dave has provided to members of this forum, why shouldn't he get a few plugs in if he wants. Many other sellers do.

Just my two cents,
Jaime

Mike Dyer
Mike Dyer

July 11th, 2007, 3:08 am #4

You mean no one has told him to go buy a book yet, amazing!

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

July 11th, 2007, 3:13 am #5

I buy way too many books. Come to my store and you will see approx 1200-1500 books for sale at any one time with much more in stock in the basement that I don't have floor space for. If this was a plug I would say so. I don't think I know everything nor will I ever. I was simply asking a question of people who might be able to identify this item but hey maybe I should just go buy a book???

Clifford S. Weirmeir
Clifford S. Weirmeir

July 11th, 2007, 3:24 am #6

I am sure somebody out there knows more than I do so hopefully somebody can advise me if I am correct on the below listing? Thanks in advance
I have no idea for sure what this badge is but I appears to have a victorian style crown, that and the styling of it IMO would be pre WWI. I would agree this insignia would belong on the belt pouch as you suspect Dave, Sorry not any further help than this.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 11th, 2007, 4:13 am #7

Not a Danish crown is it? I think I have a book on obscure badges with crowns, uuummmm, let me look.....

Bill A
Bill A

July 11th, 2007, 11:57 am #8

The badge in question is not listed in the Mazeas' Canadian Militia Badges Pre 1914. (There, the book issue is addressed.)
This does not conclusively mean that the badge is not Canadian. The odd Canadian badge pre-1914 is still being "discovered". However, as observed in the string, the badge has a distinctively different crown, one that resembles Belgian or some other European nation. With these points in mind, I would be leaning to the item being non-Canadian.

July 11th, 2007, 12:02 pm #9

I buy way too many books. Come to my store and you will see approx 1200-1500 books for sale at any one time with much more in stock in the basement that I don't have floor space for. If this was a plug I would say so. I don't think I know everything nor will I ever. I was simply asking a question of people who might be able to identify this item but hey maybe I should just go buy a book???
I think the suggestion was that you actually use one as a reference, not brag about the number you've hoarded.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

July 11th, 2007, 12:37 pm #10

The badge in question is not listed in the Mazeas' Canadian Militia Badges Pre 1914. (There, the book issue is addressed.)
This does not conclusively mean that the badge is not Canadian. The odd Canadian badge pre-1914 is still being "discovered". However, as observed in the string, the badge has a distinctively different crown, one that resembles Belgian or some other European nation. With these points in mind, I would be leaning to the item being non-Canadian.
For starters Mr Lockard I was not bragging. I do not do such things. I was saying I have this many in stock because I have already looked at them and I have nothing in my own extensive library nor on my retail shelves that shows this badge.
In reference to the badge Bill, I know not everything is shown in Mazeas and that is why I had a question. My issue with the crown is that it looks quelphic to me and thusly could be Canadian or Belgian/Dutch or whatever else. Let me know your thoughts when you have a chance