Acronyms defined...?

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

Acronyms defined...?

Bill A
Bill A

March 22nd, 2010, 8:20 pm #1

In my research I have come across two abbreviations used repeatedly. The terms are used in relation to the acquisition of titles and patches for the army in the UK. I have some conjecture as to the meanings, but would like to confirm (or change) the terms.
1. L.P.O. (Local purchase order?)
2. T.L.P. (Total Local Purchase?)

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

March 22nd, 2010, 11:49 pm #2

I confirm tha LPO stands for Local Purchase Order. I've never seen TLP; do you have a pic of a form or letter using the abbreviation?

DT.

Bill
Bill

March 23rd, 2010, 12:50 am #3

Hi Doug, Thanks for the confirmation of LPO. Here is a line using TLP in context from a letter. The term was also used on inventory control sheets, as a header on a column.

The TLP figure of 11598 as notified in my 13/Dist/1/12 dated 13 Oct 43 should be maintained in future.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

March 23rd, 2010, 1:57 pm #4

Bill,

I think your interpretation is correct - total local procurement makes sense to me based on what you have provided.

DT.

Bill
Bill

March 23rd, 2010, 5:02 pm #5

Thanks Doug, helps move the research along.

Clive
Clive

March 23rd, 2010, 5:51 pm #6

I ran across this acronym while researching formation patches and I don't think that "Total Local Purchase" is correct. That said, I don't have any reasonable suppositions to offer. The term is used to describe the holdings and even the quote suggests a level of stock rather than a quantity purchased locally.
I also disagree with LPO, in this context, representing "Local Purchase Order" because, again, it deals with inventory levels that were of concern to Ordnance and not acquisition which would have been a headquarters function.

Bill
Bill

March 23rd, 2010, 8:31 pm #7

Clive, I have another confirmation that LPO is Local Purchase Order. It was not used in the context of inventory level, but was used in the context of obtaining insignia, from an authorizing authority.

Bill A
Bill A

March 30th, 2010, 6:08 pm #8

TLP is Total Liability Period. This refers to the inventory required for a specified period of time. Most TLP's appear to be a one year period.