A.R.P

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

A.R.P

James Thompson
James Thompson

May 24th, 2007, 3:45 am #1

Does any one know if the Air Raid Police in canada would have been give a Uniform to wear? or did they just wear civys? also what kind of kit would they have been issued?

James

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

May 24th, 2007, 11:12 am #2

I thought it was Air Raid Precautions, now I will have to check a few manuals and see what they say. I trust you are talking about the Canadian version of A.R.P. and not the British?

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

May 24th, 2007, 1:15 pm #3

Does any one know if the Air Raid Police in canada would have been give a Uniform to wear? or did they just wear civys? also what kind of kit would they have been issued?

James
It was Air Raid Precautions Service, and it was run by the Department of Pensions and Health In Quebec however it was called the Civilian Protection Corps - Corps de Protection Civile becuase allowed for a bilingual acronym CPC.
Roger

James Thompson
James Thompson

May 24th, 2007, 3:15 pm #4

I did not know that, I have a helmet mad by G.S.W that has the words Stenciled on it in silver paint A.R.P Police. I also have a badge that looks like a Police officers badge that has the Kings crown on it with the A.R.P under it. also my great aunt gave me a small tan first aid bag with all its belongings still in it and it has A.R.P stenciled on the front of it, there is a belt on it and it looks like you would wear it like a fanny pack. What i what to know is what else would some one in the A.R.P police have been issued? Uniforms,what kind of gas mask air raid siren, ect...

James

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

May 24th, 2007, 5:47 pm #5

I thought that all of the essential services of the time, Police, Fire, Ambulance, Rescue and so forth fell under A.R.P. I believe the Police and Fire just wore their regular uniforms and were issued Civilian Respirators.

Roger Lucy
Roger Lucy

May 25th, 2007, 12:38 am #6

As Ed indicates, the ARP or CPC formed a very broad tent which included police, fire service, warden, rescue, medical and welfare personnel. Their helmets(like those of the post war Civil defence) were marked with all sorts of differnt codes and colours and insignia to indicate who was who. But bottom line, as the war-time files and OiC submissions indicate, ARP stood for Air Raid Precautions, not Air Raid Police.
Roger

James Thompson
James Thompson

May 25th, 2007, 1:54 am #7

So the helmet i have would have belonged to one of the local Police officers in my home town. and if i whant to match it with a uniform i should be looking for a Campbellton city police uniform.

James.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

May 25th, 2007, 5:26 am #8

Yes, that is what I would be doing. You might want to supplement the uniform with a Canadian manufactured civilian Respirator.