82 patt webbing

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

82 patt webbing

Eric Argus
Eric Argus

December 28th, 2009, 9:41 pm #1

Does anyone know how many of the three magazine smg pouches were worn on the 82 pattern webbing. If it is just one, as I suspect, what would have been worn on the other side.

Lowwel
Lowwel

December 28th, 2009, 11:19 pm #2

One pouch nothing on the opposite side (or whatever you wanted to attach there).

Eric Argus
Eric Argus

December 28th, 2009, 11:34 pm #3

So I do have it set up properly.
Thank you for the very quick reply.

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

December 29th, 2009, 12:24 am #4

Does anyone know how many of the three magazine smg pouches were worn on the 82 pattern webbing. If it is just one, as I suspect, what would have been worn on the other side.
The User Guide illustrates one worn on the right hand side with nothing on the left.

Terry Hunter
Terry Hunter

December 29th, 2009, 1:24 am #5

We always used to tape our SMG mags together when we went to the field. I always used the SMG mag pouch to keep Thunderflashes in.

Lowwel
Lowwel

December 29th, 2009, 12:30 pm #6

Ed while the pam showed the mag carrier on the right hand side I liked the pouch attached to my weak hand (Left hand) side for faster mag changes. The empty mag could be dropped in a leg pocket, fresh mag in and your back in the fight. This was how I worked. Taping mags together, never a good idea for many reasons and more of a Militia thing, say no more. What had to be the stupidest thing invented was the 10 round SMG mag that had no reason for being other then to fill the mag well on a parade. Todays soldiers cart about 10-12 fully loaded 30 round mags and the system failure is the crappy TV on issue.

Terry Hunter
Terry Hunter

December 29th, 2009, 2:54 pm #7

Proud of my Reserve service. The CEF was a Militia thing also. Say no more.

Lowwel
Lowwel

December 29th, 2009, 3:17 pm #8

Please do not read more into my statement about the militia thing and by all means you should be proud of your militia service. The practice of taping magazines together was, I dare say, something the militia where fond of doing back when the C1 SMG was on issue. Maybe someone has a picture of Sten mags taped from the second World War but I doubt it. I think that the practice took off as there was no SMG magazine carrier on issue and not wanting to fumble around in a pocket for a mag so the militia did what they could, plus the look cool thing. Anyways a poor pratice to do and when carriers came on issue that practice should have ceased.

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

December 29th, 2009, 3:18 pm #9

Proud of my Reserve service. The CEF was a Militia thing also. Say no more.
Well said. I, too, am proud of my Militia, Reserve, PRes...whatever... service.

Back to SMG mag pouches...we used a '51 pattern mag pouch with the other '82 pattern crap 'cause mag changes were more effective and the mags themselves were far more accessible.

December 29th, 2009, 3:28 pm #10

Please do not read more into my statement about the militia thing and by all means you should be proud of your militia service. The practice of taping magazines together was, I dare say, something the militia where fond of doing back when the C1 SMG was on issue. Maybe someone has a picture of Sten mags taped from the second World War but I doubt it. I think that the practice took off as there was no SMG magazine carrier on issue and not wanting to fumble around in a pocket for a mag so the militia did what they could, plus the look cool thing. Anyways a poor pratice to do and when carriers came on issue that practice should have ceased.
I don't know that our Militia unit in Calgary ever taped SMG magazines together but we were the last basic course on which they were used before the changeover. I can ask some of the older guys. I've never seen rifle mags taped together or even heard of it being done either.

Apparently, though, there are some after-market companies selling stuff like this today:

More hi-tech solutions for soldiers than previous generations, but that doesn't mean they are any less frowned upon.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com