70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

August 21st, 2010, 4:07 am #1

Although this is not an army topic, I think it is important. I saw the CTV News at 2200 and could not believe my eyes when I saw the banner they choose to use for the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. I photographed it during the 2300 newscast and look, apparently US F8F Bearcat fighters were used during this battle, how difficult is it to find an image of a Spitfire or a Hurricane?

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

August 21st, 2010, 5:37 am #2

Ed,
I hate to say it however, this is typical of Canadian Journalism lately! ie, The lack of military or historical knowledge among staff! Just how many Canadian media journalists or staff for that matter, has had prior military service in it's organization, or specializes in military history as a whole?

Mr Peter Worthington formerly of the Toronto Sun comes to mind, but that's all I can remember from? Peter had served in the Canadian Army during the Korean War, and also served as a 'Para' (Parachutist)in the PPCLI Para Coy. Afterwords, he also had served in the Mobile Strike Force during the 1950's. I bet Alex might know of him or heard what unit he has previous served with!?

I have an old letter from Mr Worthington, whom served as a Lieutenant in the PPCLI, in Korea.

My British side of the family had told me one of my relatives had served in the RAF (Royal Air Force) during "The Battle of Britain". I was also told he flew a Spitfire in 1940!? Perhaps one day I'll get a name and Sqn No of which unit he had served in? I do have a wedding photo of a dashing young chap marrying one of my great aunties, wear RAF blues

Here's a few links on this topic. The Royal Canadian Air Force (No 1. Squadron )served during this battle with American Volunteers among it's ranks. Croydon,England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

http://www.the-battle-of-britain.co.uk/ ... /1rcaf.htm

Chris

August 21st, 2010, 1:01 pm #3

Chris, didn't you say you had no military experience at all? If that is a prerequisite for discussing military matters, I would be forced to ban you from my forum.

Some of the leading military historians have had no military experience, or if they had, their operational experience was minimal.

As far as Peter Worthington goes, I was appalled by his articles during the recent coverage of the Semrau trial, which misrepresented basic military law in favour of mob mentality. I won't entertain a discussion of that case here.

My point is that "military experience" does not automatically impart onto anyone some kind of ability to be all-knowing or give an ability to share that knowledge coherently.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Christopher Furlotte
Christopher Furlotte

August 21st, 2010, 1:47 pm #4

Mike,
I have had prior military cadet experience, along with a deep interest in military history for quite some time, though not as a professional historian. I just meant to say it certainly does help one regarding the studying of research/writing of militaria or the military in this area, though as you have stated it isn't a prerequisite!

My personal experience in learning about the military was from talking to other individuals whom had previously had served in the CF/British Army or in the cadets at the very least!

However I do understand the point you are trying to make.

Chris

John Sliz
John Sliz

August 21st, 2010, 2:48 pm #5

It doesn't take any military experience to listen and learn from a vet.
Nor does it take experience to think about what you are doing. I can't believe that they used a U.S. Navy fighter on a piece about the BOB. That is just plain laziness by CTV. Shame!

SMF
SMF

August 23rd, 2010, 1:01 pm #6

It's a Hellcat ...sorry for the Cliff Claven type trivia

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

August 23rd, 2010, 2:53 pm #7

My Son thought it was a Hellcat as well.

John Sliz
John Sliz

August 23rd, 2010, 4:33 pm #8

The Hellcat was also a US Navy fighter so whatever plane it was, it was wrong.

August 23rd, 2010, 7:47 pm #9

Although this is not an army topic, I think it is important. I saw the CTV News at 2200 and could not believe my eyes when I saw the banner they choose to use for the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. I photographed it during the 2300 newscast and look, apparently US F8F Bearcat fighters were used during this battle, how difficult is it to find an image of a Spitfire or a Hurricane?

Which event is older: The BoB, or the TV Ed watches his news on?

Hey, at least they got WSC on there. The CBC version showed a compilation of Colonel Sanders chasing Santa Claus in an F-18.

GD

Dwayne Hordij
Dwayne Hordij

November 19th, 2010, 12:36 am #10

.....Why is it OK for you to start a thread on the RCAF/RAF on an ARMY forum .....yet you are the first to complain when someone else requests some help with a navy matter.

For those of you with short memory spans,

http://www.network54.com/Forum/28173/th ... gs+uniform

This forum has quickly gained a reputation on other forums as being unwelcoming. A niche crowd that has become a private club with questionable relevance. It seems that it is the same few people that strenghten that reputation.

Dwayne