4th Armd Div - Pistols

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

4th Armd Div - Pistols

Tom Jones
Tom Jones

August 5th, 2012, 11:15 am #1

Chaps,

Having reviewed photos of the 4th Armoured Division in Normandy, most of their officers and tankies (that i've seen) appear to be armed with Smith and Wesson .38s as opposed to automatic pistols. Is there any way of checking scales of issue?

I know it's a fairly specific question but I want to make sure I get it right.

Tom.

Clive M. Law - Service Publications

August 5th, 2012, 4:56 pm #2

In June 1944, the approved sidearm was a .38 cal revolver. Most Canadians carried a S&W product although Enfield revolvers can also be seen in use. An exception existed for the 1 Cdn Para Bn who had been issued 1911 and 1911A1 pistols. The first issues of the 9mm (Inglis) Browning did not start until November/December 1944 with most issues occurring in early 1945.
I recommend "Canadian Military Handguns, 1855-1985", published by Museum Restoration Services and available through your library.

Tom Jones
Tom Jones

August 5th, 2012, 5:05 pm #3

Clive, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. I shall check out that book.

Tom

Dave Block
Dave Block

August 6th, 2012, 4:39 am #4

Although the book is long out of print it is certainly worth hunting down for your library. AddALL, Abebooks or a good used militaria bookshop should be able to help. If you're on a budget, an inter-library loan may be the way to go. Search "Canadian Military Handguns 1855-1945" by Clive M. Law ISBN 0.88855-008-1.
Cheers, Dave

August 6th, 2012, 1:03 pm #5

Although poorly marketed by the original publisher the book is still available new. I am told that the entire stock was bought by Joe Salter, in Nova Scotia, after Jim Gooding's death - the owner of Museum Restoration Service. Joe runs a firearms business and has a website.

August 13th, 2012, 4:34 pm #6

I was aware that rhe Museum Restoration Service had closed shop but didn't know Mr. Salter bought his remaining inventory. Looks like that may be a good place to sell my DWM 1917 artillery luger, perhaps an unregistered one that was not surrendered in the 1942 request on behalf of the British War Office (learn somethin' new every day!).
Cheers, Dave