36 Reconnaissance Sqdn Shoulder Titles Info Request

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

36 Reconnaissance Sqdn Shoulder Titles Info Request

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

June 21st, 2007, 11:49 pm #1

I'm on vacation in Nova Scotia so I don't have access to any of my books, and my mom's internet access is brutal at best.

I came across a pair of shoulder titles in cloth, to the 36 Reconnaissance Sqdn, a title that I have never seen before. They are two-layer melton in a maroon colour, the stitching is a very pale green. The titles have 36 over Reconnaissance - Sqdn.

Can anyone give me any details on the titles or the unit? Are the scarce? Apparently they came from a veteran along with a bunch of West Nova Scotia Regiment titles.

Thanks,

Gary

Bill A
Bill A

June 22nd, 2007, 12:27 am #2

Gary, I was told about this title by an old time cloth collector nearly 20 years ago. I believe (and Mark Tonner will be the one to confirm) that this was a short lived unit, in the immediate post war era. Not sure about any of these details.
And, it is a rare title. (If you are willing to part with one...)

June 22nd, 2007, 2:26 am #3

I'm on vacation in Nova Scotia so I don't have access to any of my books, and my mom's internet access is brutal at best.

I came across a pair of shoulder titles in cloth, to the 36 Reconnaissance Sqdn, a title that I have never seen before. They are two-layer melton in a maroon colour, the stitching is a very pale green. The titles have 36 over Reconnaissance - Sqdn.

Can anyone give me any details on the titles or the unit? Are the scarce? Apparently they came from a veteran along with a bunch of West Nova Scotia Regiment titles.

Thanks,

Gary
Needless to say I would like a hi-res scan/photo of this patch. The use of special patches for Recce Sqdrns is well established so it does not surprise me that this would exist.

Clive

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

June 22nd, 2007, 11:01 am #4

Gary, I was told about this title by an old time cloth collector nearly 20 years ago. I believe (and Mark Tonner will be the one to confirm) that this was a short lived unit, in the immediate post war era. Not sure about any of these details.
And, it is a rare title. (If you are willing to part with one...)
I suspected that they may be post war becuase his wartime BD was badged to the West Novies (already sold, I didn't get a chance to buy it.) If you (or anyone else) are interested in the patches, drop me a line via email. I should have photos of them in the next day or two.

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

June 22nd, 2007, 2:53 pm #5

Thanks,

Gary
Hi Guys;

Some notes on the 36th Reconnaissance Squadron (Windsor, Nova Scotia): -

Was named as a Corps of the Active Militia, Pursuant to Section 20 of the Militia Act, under General Order Number 361 of 1943, dated 1 September 1943, effective 1 January 1943, in Military District No. 6.

Designation upon authorization was: - 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Reconnaissance Squadron.

Under the authority of General Order Number 362 of 1943, dated 1 September 1943, effective 1 May 1943, 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group was constituted as follows (within Military District No. 6): -

Headquarters 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group
36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Reconnaissance Squadron
Headquarters 14th (Reserve) Field Regiment, R.C.A.
52nd (Reserve) Field Battery, R.C.A.
84th (Reserve) Field Battery, R.C.A.
87th (Reserve) Field Battery, R.C.A.
20th (Reserve) Field Company, R.C.E.
"E" Section of a Divisional Signals, R.C.C.S. (from No. 6 (Reserve) Fortress Signal Company, R.C.C.S.)
"J" Section of a Divisional Signals, R.C.C.S. (from No. 6 (Reserve) Fortress Signal Company, R.C.C.S.)
2nd (Reserve) Battalion The West Nova Scotia Regiment
2nd (Reserve) Battalion The North Nova Scotia Highlanders
2nd (Reserve) Battalion The Halifax Rifles
2nd (Reserve) Battalion The Princess Louise Fusiliers (M.G.)
36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Company, R.C.A.S.C.
No. 22 (Reserve) Field Ambulance, R.C.A.M.C.
No. 2 Group No. 8 (Reserve) Divisional Ordnance Workshop, R.C.O.C.
No. 21 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type A), R.C.O.C.
No. 22 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), R.C.O.C.
No. 23 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), R.C.O.C.
No. 24 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), R.C.O.C.

The constitution of 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group, was a temporary measure for the duration of the war and superceded and previous brigading.

Under the authority of General Order Number 364 of 1943, dated 1 September 1943, effective 1 May 1943, the localization of 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Reconnaissance Squadron, was authorized as at: - Windsor, Nova Scotia.

Under the authority of General Order Number 115 of 1946, dated 13 May 1946, effective 1 April 1946, 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Reconnaissance Squadron, along with the 88th (Reserve) Field Battery, R.C.A., was converted and redesignated: - 47th Anti-Tank Regiment, R.C.A., consisting of : -

Headquarters (localized at Windsor, Nova Scotia)
146th Anti-Tank Battery, R.C.A.
88th Anti-Tank Battery, R.C.A. (localized at Windsor, Nova Scotia)

Summary: - 36th Reconnaissance Squadron - was a Canadian Army (Reserve) unit from 1 January 1943 to 1 April 1946.

Cheers

Mark

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

June 22nd, 2007, 3:49 pm #6

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the incredible information. It all ties in nicely since the guy that has the patches lives about 15 minutes from Windsor and he got them from a local veteran.

Gary

June 23rd, 2007, 1:39 am #7

Hi Guys;

Some notes on the 36th Reconnaissance Squadron (Windsor, Nova Scotia): -

Was named as a Corps of the Active Militia, Pursuant to Section 20 of the Militia Act, under General Order Number 361 of 1943, dated 1 September 1943, effective 1 January 1943, in Military District No. 6.

Designation upon authorization was: - 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Reconnaissance Squadron.

Under the authority of General Order Number 362 of 1943, dated 1 September 1943, effective 1 May 1943, 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group was constituted as follows (within Military District No. 6): -

Headquarters 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group
36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Reconnaissance Squadron
Headquarters 14th (Reserve) Field Regiment, R.C.A.
52nd (Reserve) Field Battery, R.C.A.
84th (Reserve) Field Battery, R.C.A.
87th (Reserve) Field Battery, R.C.A.
20th (Reserve) Field Company, R.C.E.
"E" Section of a Divisional Signals, R.C.C.S. (from No. 6 (Reserve) Fortress Signal Company, R.C.C.S.)
"J" Section of a Divisional Signals, R.C.C.S. (from No. 6 (Reserve) Fortress Signal Company, R.C.C.S.)
2nd (Reserve) Battalion The West Nova Scotia Regiment
2nd (Reserve) Battalion The North Nova Scotia Highlanders
2nd (Reserve) Battalion The Halifax Rifles
2nd (Reserve) Battalion The Princess Louise Fusiliers (M.G.)
36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Company, R.C.A.S.C.
No. 22 (Reserve) Field Ambulance, R.C.A.M.C.
No. 2 Group No. 8 (Reserve) Divisional Ordnance Workshop, R.C.O.C.
No. 21 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type A), R.C.O.C.
No. 22 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), R.C.O.C.
No. 23 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), R.C.O.C.
No. 24 (Reserve) Light Aid Detachment (Type B), R.C.O.C.

The constitution of 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group, was a temporary measure for the duration of the war and superceded and previous brigading.

Under the authority of General Order Number 364 of 1943, dated 1 September 1943, effective 1 May 1943, the localization of 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Reconnaissance Squadron, was authorized as at: - Windsor, Nova Scotia.

Under the authority of General Order Number 115 of 1946, dated 13 May 1946, effective 1 April 1946, 36th (Reserve) Brigade Group Reconnaissance Squadron, along with the 88th (Reserve) Field Battery, R.C.A., was converted and redesignated: - 47th Anti-Tank Regiment, R.C.A., consisting of : -

Headquarters (localized at Windsor, Nova Scotia)
146th Anti-Tank Battery, R.C.A.
88th Anti-Tank Battery, R.C.A. (localized at Windsor, Nova Scotia)

Summary: - 36th Reconnaissance Squadron - was a Canadian Army (Reserve) unit from 1 January 1943 to 1 April 1946.

Cheers

Mark

I wish that Mark would try to be a little more specific in his answers. Vague responses such as this merely cloud the issue. Details, we want details!!

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

June 23rd, 2007, 4:39 am #8

Hi Clive;

If I'm not mistaken, the Officer Commanding's boot size was 7½E, and his third cousin, on his Mom's side, who served in the R.C.N.V.R., on tugboats, out of Port Dover, was named Alfred, but I'll have to check my notes and get back to you on these details.

Cheers

Mark

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

June 26th, 2007, 8:07 pm #9

For those of you that are interested, here's a photo of the 36th Titles.

[/IMG][/URL]

Mark W. Tonner
Mark W. Tonner

June 26th, 2007, 10:42 pm #10

Cheers