31ST. (ALTA) RECCE.REGT flash question

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

31ST. (ALTA) RECCE.REGT flash question

Geoff Robinson
Geoff Robinson

April 13th, 2008, 1:17 am #1

Hello all,
Can anyone let me know the history and rarity of a cloth (wool) flash as mentioned above. I just found one (red letters embroidered on dark blue wool) and am curious. The flash has been sewn onto a tunic and looks to be early WW2 vintage. Any help is appreciated.

April 13th, 2008, 5:26 am #2

Yup, you have a find there not sure "RARE" but one for the collection.

April 13th, 2008, 5:28 am #3

Hello all,
Can anyone let me know the history and rarity of a cloth (wool) flash as mentioned above. I just found one (red letters embroidered on dark blue wool) and am curious. The flash has been sewn onto a tunic and looks to be early WW2 vintage. Any help is appreciated.
The unit was raised from two Alberta units for the 6th Div for the Pasific. I have never seen an example, only knowing that I think the two units werw the 19th & 15th Alberta light Horse which later became the SALH.

Bill A
Bill A

April 13th, 2008, 12:04 pm #4

Here are the official serials for the unit (from M. Tonner's ON ACTIVE SERVICE).

Serial No. 824
Unit
31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Battalion, C.A.C.
Authorized: GO 147/42 - Effective 18 Mar 42, Converted & Redesignated: GO 455/42 - Effective 8 Jun 42
Converted & Redesignated: Serial No. 824 - 31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment, C.A.C. -
GO 455/42 - Effective 8 Jun 42
824 31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment, C.A.C.
Authorized: GO 455/42 - Effective 8 Jun 42, Disbanded: GO 231/45 - Effective 15 Feb 45

A note about the "6th Division". There were actually two 6 Divisions in the Canadian army during WW2. The first 6th Canadian Division was the in the Home Defence forces and was disbanded in December 1944. The second 6th Division was the proposed Canadian division for the campaign against Japan. It was the 6th Division Canadian Army Pacific Force (CAPF). The CAPF wore the 6 sided fully embroidered formation patch.

In regards to the 31st, the Recce regiment was part of the home defence division and later the Pacific Command. As such, the 31st wore a shoulder title in combination with either the 6th Div red/blue divisional patch and later the green diamond of Pacific Command. The 31st had a unique formation badge in the form of a small cirlce, red over blue sewn on a green Pacific Command diamond. The 31st (ALTA) RECCE. REGT. only served in the home defence division.

There are two patterns of shoulder titles to the 31st, one a single layer with a white embroidered border and red name and one with two layers, dark blue on gray, and the name embroidered in red. Both titles are difficult to find.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 13th, 2008, 12:10 pm #5

The unit was raised from two Alberta units for the 6th Div for the Pasific. I have never seen an example, only knowing that I think the two units werw the 19th & 15th Alberta light Horse which later became the SALH.
You have a dandy piece!, Stewarts "Concise Lineages of The Canadian Army,1855 to Date" states that XVth Alberta Light Horse mobilized as 31st Alberta Recce Regt, and served in Pacific Command. It sounds like you have the earlier one, there is another style, with a white border. Enjoy!!

Bill A
Bill A

April 13th, 2008, 12:51 pm #6

The 31st also included a significant number of 19th Alberta Dragoons.

April 13th, 2008, 1:02 pm #7

Bill Alexander is correct with his post about the 6th Division. There are photos in the CENTURY OF SERVICE history of the SALH showing the 31st Recce in training in Canada well before the Pacific force was raised.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Geoff Robinson
Geoff Robinson

April 13th, 2008, 1:54 pm #8

Thanks everyone for the information. When I first described the patch, I forgot to mention that the blue wool title was sewn on top of a white wool backing hence a white edged appearance. There are also serifs after each word 31ST.(ALTA.)RECCE.REGT. Furthermore, I have a matched pair of the titles and they came with a matched pair of 6th Div wool patches. I was unsure of they were a set or not, but it would appear that they are.
Any Alberta collectors out there need theses? I stick to Sask stuff mostly (WW1 and WW2) and am always interested in trading.

Geoff

April 13th, 2008, 2:07 pm #9

Hi Geoff,
Pls end me a pic and price for the pair
Or we may be able to do a trade
Tks

J.Garnier
J.Garnier

April 13th, 2008, 2:18 pm #10

Maybe Bill could repost the really great photograph that was shown in his Jan.2008 thread (#305) of The British Military Badge Forum????