1st Cdn Para Auxilliary Services

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

1st Cdn Para Auxilliary Services

November 25th, 2008, 3:09 am #1

Hi there

I found this photo of what I suppose is the YMCA Auxilliary Services supervisor for the Parachute Battalion.

Anybody know who it was?

Steve

James Pringle
James Pringle

November 25th, 2008, 11:33 am #2

Thats the first time I have ever seen the hood number CM42..... on anything other then a jeep, interesting.

Ken Joyce
Ken Joyce

November 25th, 2008, 1:38 pm #3

Supervisor Cody Moffat. Many people, including the 1CPB Association, have tried to track down his family with no luck.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 25th, 2008, 2:31 pm #4

Thats the first time I have ever seen the hood number CM42..... on anything other then a jeep, interesting.
Canada received blocks of War Department (WD) census numbers for use on vehicles owned by Canada. The numbers featured a prefix which identified the classification i.e., Z- trucks and lorries, C- motorcycles, T- armoured vehicles including tanks and carriers, S- self-propelled artillery, etc... the prefix M was set aside for 'cars'.

Canada chose, by policy, to add the letter "C" as a prefix to the pWD Census number prefix resulting in numbers starting as CZ, CC, CT, CS and, for 'cars', CM.

As the "jeep" is actually a 'Car, 5-cwt, 4x4' and the staff car driven by the Auxiliary Services Superviser is also a 'car' in the more general sense, and that the WD set aside a block of WD numbers in the 420000 range for use by Canada, it is not surprising that it shows a CM42xxx number

Here are a few more cars. These are parked at CMHQ in London.

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

November 25th, 2008, 2:32 pm #5

Still no text!

Bill A
Bill A

November 25th, 2008, 3:10 pm #6

Appears the CWAC is writing up the accident report for the driver of the first vehicle that backed in over the other CWAC.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

November 25th, 2008, 4:35 pm #7

Canada received blocks of War Department (WD) census numbers for use on vehicles owned by Canada. The numbers featured a prefix which identified the classification i.e., Z- trucks and lorries, C- motorcycles, T- armoured vehicles including tanks and carriers, S- self-propelled artillery, etc... the prefix M was set aside for 'cars'.

Canada chose, by policy, to add the letter "C" as a prefix to the pWD Census number prefix resulting in numbers starting as CZ, CC, CT, CS and, for 'cars', CM.

As the "jeep" is actually a 'Car, 5-cwt, 4x4' and the staff car driven by the Auxiliary Services Superviser is also a 'car' in the more general sense, and that the WD set aside a block of WD numbers in the 420000 range for use by Canada, it is not surprising that it shows a CM42xxx number

any more pics of CWAC drivers in action? How about CWAC motorcycle operators?

DT.

Kevin Green
Kevin Green

November 25th, 2008, 6:11 pm #8

That CWAC riding with Moffat sure is a dog.

November 25th, 2008, 8:54 pm #9

She'll look better after a couple of beers.

JP
JP

November 25th, 2008, 10:13 pm #10

Yes Clive. Outside of the "Car Light" Sedan 4X2,117 WB of page 39 of the Vehicle Data Book for Canadian Army Overseas dated Dec 44 I have not seen another CM42 WD number.In fact the cars in the alley look like GM Car, light, 116 WB Sedans yet they do not have CM 42 WD numbers. Interesting.