1st Canadian Parachute Battallion

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

1st Canadian Parachute Battallion

Erica
Erica

April 15th, 2006, 11:55 pm #1

I am looking for information on this battallion as well as specific information on some soldiers within it. If anyone could suggest a site or place where I could look I would be most thankful (in particular biogrphical information).

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

April 16th, 2006, 1:39 am #3

I am looking for information on this battallion as well as specific information on some soldiers within it. If anyone could suggest a site or place where I could look I would be most thankful (in particular biogrphical information).
There are also several books that have been written on this popular battalion, two of which are:

Out of the Clouds
Tip of the Spear

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

April 16th, 2006, 1:46 am #4

The Cdn Airborne Museum is located at Cdn Forces Base Petawawa, Ontario. You can get almost any info there.

DT.

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

April 16th, 2006, 2:34 am #5

I have a lot of information on the Battalion, if you send me an email, I'll see what I can do for you.

Gary

Jon Skagfeld
Jon Skagfeld

April 16th, 2006, 5:37 am #6

There are also several books that have been written on this popular battalion, two of which are:

Out of the Clouds
Tip of the Spear
In Search of Pegasus, and, Bastard Sons...both by Horn, Vanwell Publishing.

April 16th, 2006, 10:28 pm #7

Okay, I'll ask a question - what type of planes did the 1 Can Para fly in on 6 Jun 1944?

And how about Varsity?

I note that Stacey shows where the sticks landed on D-Day in a map in The Victory Campaign - how many men to a stick? I suspect that would depend on the type of aircraft, yes?
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

April 17th, 2006, 1:58 am #8

are available in my book, which can be yours for just $40 Canadian plus shipping.

Just kidding of course...

The Battalion jumped from two different types of aircraft on D-Day.

C Company, the lead (Pathfinder if you will) company had the "honour" of jumping from the Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle, an out-of-date, converted bomber that had a capacity of 10 paratroopers (one stick). They were to capture and secure the drop zone for the remainder of the Battalion which would follow shortly after (approx. 45 minutes). The Albemarle had an elongated hole in the floor, which required the troopers to shuffle along on their bottoms before diving out head first. (There was not enough headroom to stand up). These aircraft were very difficult to jump from and as a result of this and the AA fire encounterd along the coast, the drop was scattered.

The remainder of the Battalion jumped from Douglas C-47 Dakota's which had a capacity of 25 jumpers, but in most instances, only carried 20 as this would be considered two sticks. Although a much better aircraft for dropping paratroopers, the pilots encountered the same AA fire and again, the remainder of the Battalion was scattered here and there, some as far as 25 miles from the intended DZ.

For Varsity, the entire Battalion went in on C-47s. There were a handful that went in by glider (Horsa, Hamilcar) with Jeeps, etc. and some that followed by land bringing the remaining Battalion vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Gary

April 17th, 2006, 3:56 am #9

Stacey's map indicates 3 sticks on D-Day unaccounted for, and a fourth landing 4 miles east of the battle area. I don't believe for a second that Stacey is the final word on this, just interested to know if one of those 3 "missing" sticks was perhaps 25 miles away and not accounted for in Stacey's research?

Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Gary Boegel
Gary Boegel

April 17th, 2006, 7:25 pm #10

Lt. Marcel Cote's stick landed north of Le Harve, about 25 miles from the DZ. Many were droped east of the Orne River, 8-12 miles from the DZ. Lt. John Madden's stick was dropped only 1000 yards from the Normandy beach.

The Germans had also flooded the area in anticipation of an airborne landing, so many were drowned before they even had a chance to fight. Brig. Hill's (Brig. Hill passed away recently) stick landed in a marshy area and it took him four hours to get to dry ground.

Gary