1980s combat name tapes & wok dress name tape

This is the general discussion area of the canadiansoldiers.com website; a forum in which issues pertaining to 20th Century military history from a British and Canadian perspective can be discussed freely. Posters are asked to please do others the courtesy of posting with their name rather than a pseudonym.

1980s combat name tapes & wok dress name tape

July 1st, 2011, 7:31 pm #1

where can i find several of the old canadian combat (black thread on o.d. cloth) name tapes and work dress uniform name tapes? i have been collecting a complet set of the old combat gear and the uniforms and duffle bag that i have has the name "EDWARDS" wrien on them so i am hoping to find several name tapes with the same name on them. also can anyone tell me where i can find an old 1980s pair of size small thermal bottoms, a size medium top (to match the bottoms), and a k.f.s. set (dated 1982 to 1985, or older)? thanks.

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

July 1st, 2011, 9:11 pm #2

The tapes were made up by companies under contract to Base Supply on each CF base. Tapes occasionaly show up on Ebay but if you want tapes in your own name, makers advertise on Ebay.

DT.

July 2nd, 2011, 12:04 pm #3

If my memory is correct, our OD name tapes (4CIBG Germany) originally came from the Americans.

They are available from many US sources either on post or in military towns such as Fayetteville, NC. Mail order catalog companies -
US Cavalry comes to mind, currently offer the black on OD name tapes used by the US Army and also the imprinted leather name tags with aviation/jump wings for flight suits and Navy/Air Force leather flight jackets.

Too bad the CF switched to CADPAT name tapes ... they may look cool but are highly illegible. Like the rank epaulets, the name or rank cannot be distinguished from any distance in excess of a few inches. Ridiculous.

July 2nd, 2011, 5:42 pm #4

where can i find several of the old canadian combat (black thread on o.d. cloth) name tapes and work dress uniform name tapes? i have been collecting a complet set of the old combat gear and the uniforms and duffle bag that i have has the name "EDWARDS" wrien on them so i am hoping to find several name tapes with the same name on them. also can anyone tell me where i can find an old 1980s pair of size small thermal bottoms, a size medium top (to match the bottoms), and a k.f.s. set (dated 1982 to 1985, or older)? thanks.
http://www.cpgear.com/

The Canadian Forces used an OD nametag very similar to the current CADPAT one - a rectangular one with rounded corners with the black branch of service logo (crossed sabres for Army, etc.) when the new generation of kit came out in OD green. They replaced the older US-style OD name tapes.

Both styles are available for private purchase via CP Gear at the website above.
Last edited by dorosh on July 2nd, 2011, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Webmaster
canadiansoldiers.com

Dave Hiorth
Dave Hiorth

July 2nd, 2011, 7:56 pm #5

I am in Venice right now so I can not look up the contact information but I know that the little army store on bermondsey in Toronto has the waffle underwear both tops and bottoms brand new issue in the sizes you require.
Hope this helps
Dave

July 2nd, 2011, 11:39 pm #6

yes it dose help and i well chck them out in awhile. thanks.

July 3rd, 2011, 12:11 am #7

If my memory is correct, our OD name tapes (4CIBG Germany) originally came from the Americans.

They are available from many US sources either on post or in military towns such as Fayetteville, NC. Mail order catalog companies -
US Cavalry comes to mind, currently offer the black on OD name tapes used by the US Army and also the imprinted leather name tags with aviation/jump wings for flight suits and Navy/Air Force leather flight jackets.

Too bad the CF switched to CADPAT name tapes ... they may look cool but are highly illegible. Like the rank epaulets, the name or rank cannot be distinguished from any distance in excess of a few inches. Ridiculous.
thanks, but even though the old combat name tapes looked simular to the u.s. ones, they are very different. for one thing is the size, the canadian combat name tape was wider, and 2nd the canadian name tapes where made from a web like cloth. i did pick up a set of the american name tapes and compared them to the canadian name tape i do have (with the wrong name on them, darn it) and there is no doubt they are different. also the name tape i am looking for is the ones used from the 1960s to the 1980s. they where like long pieces of cloth they sewn on the names and than just cut them to size with out putting any borders on them; the soldiers just folded the ends in (depending on how long the name was and if they could fold the ends in) and than sewn them onto the uniform (or the tailor did). i have tried cp and they do not have the old ones any more and the u.s. name tape just will not do for what i want. what i would like to put together is a complete uniform set (inclueding web gear and rucksack and duffle bag kit) that a female soldier would have had (or better put if i could time travel back to 1983 (plus or minus 2 years), sneak into the female barracks, after a female soldier came in from the field, nd steal all her kit).
i do agree about the new name tape and epualets. for 1 thing i think the epualets should be on the shoulders and not in front and the rank badges and regt./canada badges should be o.d.; also like the old rank badges on the shoulders, i think the rank badges should be on the epualets like some of the western units had them and not on the arms. that way if the soldiers and officers became prisoners, they all can through away the rank badges. the name tapes should stay the same as the old ones too so that way you can see them at a glance. but than again,i still think they should have the old mk2 and mk3 combat boots and the tan american jungle combat boots for the dessert and all ladder laced so the medics can just take a sharp knife and cut the laces easly.

July 3rd, 2011, 12:20 am #8

http://www.cpgear.com/

The Canadian Forces used an OD nametag very similar to the current CADPAT one - a rectangular one with rounded corners with the black branch of service logo (crossed sabres for Army, etc.) when the new generation of kit came out in OD green. They replaced the older US-style OD name tapes.

Both styles are available for private purchase via CP Gear at the website above.
the old name tapes from the 1980s and older where much different than the new ones or the amerian name tapes

Doug Townend
Doug Townend

July 3rd, 2011, 1:52 am #9

The tapes were made up by companies under contract to Base Supply on each CF base. Tapes occasionaly show up on Ebay but if you want tapes in your own name, makers advertise on Ebay.

DT.
I went to the CP Gear website and although they dont make the exact name tape you want, it appears they could make a special order for you. Worth checking out.

DT

Ed Storey
Ed Storey

July 3rd, 2011, 1:56 am #10

Here are a few examples that I have collected up over the years. The top two were worn by my Father, but for the most part these have been issued to me. The second one from the top is US manufacture followed by Canadian.

Of course now the CADPAT AR name tapes can get quite decorative.