2(3%)
7(10%)
21(30%)
22(32%)
13(19%)
3(4%)
1(1%)

When did you start watching GL?
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 18th, 2009, 2:37 pm #2

Hello everyone. I started to watch in 1979, during the Holly/Roger rape and kidnap story. I was 15 years old and my mom had been watching it for many years before that, but it was that story that caught my attention and I'd watch with my mom when I got home from school. I've been a viewer ever since. Can't believe this day has come, I honestly thought it would last forever. Dreading when 2 pm rolls around today... I think I'm going to be a wreck. :'(

Amy

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 18th, 2009, 3:19 pm #3

Hi, I started watching the Guiding Light with my mom at the age of 5 yrs old. When it was in black and white and only 15 min long. Yes I' m now 60 yrs old. GL was is and will always be my favorite Soap. I can't believe its over. Thank you cast for all the years of memories I have watching GL with my mom which all the best memories a daughter can have (my mom pass away in 98 GL was a favorite too). Let the Light shine on.

GLFan1978

September 18th, 2009, 3:56 pm #4

The first story I remember is Alan bringing Reva to town. My mom had watched since 1952, her mother and grandmother listened on radio and transitioned to TV.

I already saw the finale here in Chicago. I did not disappoint me ONE BIT. I cried like a baby.

Teakay

September 18th, 2009, 4:05 pm #5

It's sad. It's over. I've cried like a baby all week. I grew up on these characters. There's a good 40+ years there. I've taped shows, recorded them and even did recaps for a while. It feels like watching a friend die. I really hated it when I saw "The End" of today's show.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 18th, 2009, 9:18 pm #6

I think the thing I find interesting in reading the many posts especially here at the end is how people equate watching Guiding Light with family (moms, grandmothers...). I'm no different. I think that with Guilding Light's end we feel we lost a connection to those family members: especially those who have passed away. That is what I don't think TPTB got is that Guilding Light was about family and family connections both on and off screen.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

September 18th, 2009, 9:27 pm #7

Beck wrote:I think the thing I find interesting in reading the many posts especially here at the end is how people equate watching Guiding Light with family (moms, grandmothers...). I'm no different. I think that with Guilding Light's end we feel we lost a connection to those family members: especially those who have passed away. That is what I don't think TPTB got is that Guilding Light was about family and family connections both on and off screen.
ITA. When I think about GL I think about my mom, grandmom & I watch GL when I was just a baby. Loosing GL is like loosing a piece of Grandmom again.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

JodiLynne

September 18th, 2009, 9:59 pm #8

I literally started watching it the day I was born =) and watched it ever since.

katinka

September 19th, 2009, 1:27 am #9

I first remember watching GL in 1969---I was 5. It was my naptime and Mama would put me down in the den. She would iron while she watched. I've been hooked ever since.
Do what you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind! Dr. Seuss

lexilou
Elite Members

September 19th, 2009, 3:18 am #10

I first started when I was visiting my great aunt for the summer. I used to go up for a week every summer starting in elementary school. I got hooked and continued to watch when I got home; it was something we could talk about, something special we shared. She stopped watching before Crash and I was sad that we lost that connection, but she would have been disappointed if she watched that. I held out hope that one day she'd turn the light back on and we'd have that special connection again, but that will not come to pass.