What decade did you start watching GL?
Deleted User
Deleted User

September 19th, 2009, 3:08 pm #11

I started in 1977 (my first memory of it anyhow at age 6) with my mom, then my babysitter (which was my older cousin), and then I had a break from 1980-1984 due to change in where I was after school and during the summer, and then I started again in 1984 with my new step-mom when Darcy was holding Cedars Hospital hostage, and Bert had just had her leg amputated, and Susan Piper was wrecking havock for Annabele and Tony Reardon and I have watched it forever since during my teen years and all of my adult hood until now, at age 37. I feel like my childhood has ended and I finally have become an adult as GL was the last part of my childhood that has seized to exist.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 19th, 2009, 11:40 pm #12

I watched in elementary school in the 60's with my mom.....I'm glad she didn't live to see this destruction, but I miss this link to her

Jenni
Site Admin

September 20th, 2009, 5:32 pm #13

I started watching with my mom and aunt all of the CBS soaps when I was 5 in 1983. I would watch after school and in the summer I would watch and give "recaps" to my mom and aunt if they were busy. I quit watching the past year or so not so much because of the story but just not having the time. I do miss the older days though when everyone had a connection to someone somehow.

Teakay

September 20th, 2009, 5:41 pm #14

I right there with ya, JodiLynne. I think the first shows I really remember are from age 3. 1968. I have taped it over the years and when in the Army, my mom would clip the latest out of the paper and send them to me. I feel like I've watched an old friend die. I still haven't stopped crying.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 20th, 2009, 5:51 pm #15

1984. I believe the first episode was Reva baptising herself the slut of Springfield. I was about 15 then. Nobody else in my family watched (they were more into ABC soaps) so GL was sort of my thing. Still most in my family knew some of the characters. My mom recognizes KZ from the Emmys. Two of my brothers sometimes watched GL with me back then so they knew Phillip and India and Josh and Reva and all. Another brother, who was more into OLTL, knew Michael Zaslow from that show. So in a roundabout way, I guess it was a family thing.

EONSFTFAN

September 20th, 2009, 6:59 pm #16

for me it would have been the early to mid 1970's as my mom was ALWAYS a CBS watcher unless the shows were preempted. I remember her watching Ryan's Hope on ABC too but only because it did not compete against one of the CBS soaps that was on at the time.

I grew up on Search For Tomorrow, Love of Life, As The World Turns, Guiding Light and The Young & The Restless. I occasionally watched Capitol after SFT moved to NBC. In late 1984 I abandoned CBS in favor of AMC on ABC and Another World and Santa Barbara on NBC. While I was always hooked on GL, I seemed to lose interest after the Barbados storyline was resolved in late November or early December 1984.

It was only in the last 6 years that I got back into watching GL and recorded and archived every last episode from early January 2007 through the finale on Friday. Now I have one less hour I have to watch and record every day.

GL will be missed by its legions of fans but I stand by my statement that GL was only a shadow of its former self. They could NEVER match what that show was in the late 1970's into the early to mid 1980's.

Scorpioww
Elite Members

September 20th, 2009, 7:17 pm #17

What I remember from when I first started watching was that Harley was the nanny for Marah and Shane. Then she dated josh. Always found that funny bc they never crossed paths again. Still have not seen the end. Shhh

soapsudzer

September 21st, 2009, 12:23 am #18

I started watching before I even went to school and now I am 62. My mom was so addicted to soaps when we were on vacation we had to stop and get a room before As the World Turns and GL came on so I traveled very early morning hours. She died at age 75 and I can't remember a single day she didn't see those two soaps in my lifetime. My son is 11 and he can name every person on ATWT and GL. My daughter is 45 and she can also.

tgir
Site Admin

September 21st, 2009, 3:35 am #19

I always watched whenever my mom did, at least by school age. Earlier than that--probably I was napping or sent out to play during her stories. At least early 60's.

I started watching on my own as a young mother soon after I left my job to take care of my son--so late 70's, early 80's. Before that it was summer and school vacations and sick days, with a few years gap when I as away at school (I was poor: no tv in my dorm room) and then working on my own (we didn't even have a television until we'd been married more than a year). No VCRs in those days. You know, sometimes it might have been a few months since I actually saw a show, yet when I did see it during a vacation or because I was home sick, I always knew exactly who was who, even if the actors had changed. Mom would catch me up on the latest, but really, like my kids and husband do now, I pretended I didn't watch or care. As my daughter, husband and youngest son were around when I watched the final shows, explaining that the show was ending forever, they all asked about this character or that. My youngest son's favorite character was always Roger. All of us were thrilled to see MZ on an episode of Law and Order. And of course, all the other GL alums. BTW, I'm not always the first to spot one on prime time shows: it's often a kid or hubby who notice first and ask if that isn't so and so from Guiding Light--or sometimes, ATWT, from the days when I watched that as well.

But Guiding Light kept me company as I folded laundry, paid bills, planned meals, worked on costumes or baked while kids napped. It was always an afternoon show where ever I lived, so even during summers, it was my break from the heat of outdoors and yard work.

Things I remember: I remember Bert as being rather a scold; I remember the Mike/Leslie/Ed thing, Roger and Holly, Amanda when she was an introverted, shy, child like woman and Ross when he was rather a conniver himself. I remember Carrie Todd! And of course, the Reardons, and the boarding house and loved Tony and Annabelle Simms and their love story/murder mystery. I loved when the Chamberlains came to town, Vanessa and Henry plotting and scheming, and her chasing Tony Reardon. I remember Nola chasing Kelly and trying to trick him into marriage but finally finding Quint. Harley giving birth in the alley, the 4 Musketeers, running away to NYC, and Nick at Christmas. I will never forget Judi Evans in the shower scene after being raped by Bradley. It still gives me chills.

Guiding Light would have had me as a viewer for another 20 years or more, and I suspect, my kids more than they would care to admit. I am sorry for the hard times foisted upon my beloved Guiding Light and sad to see it all end.