Westworld

Krystal
Site Admin

October 25th, 2016, 4:54 am #1

Seems like enough of us are watching it to have its own topic. I'm loving the show and it really makes me think to the point where I'm not quite sure where it's going but it's a very enjoyable ride. Dolores and the thaddie Newton characters appear to be having memories and self realization. Bernard lowe, I don't know if you would call him up programmer but anyhow he seems to want the post to have more self actualization and I can't quite figure out what dr. Ford the Anthony Hopkins character is all about. Is he in sync withlowe to actually create sentinent beings here? The female manager and the board don't appear to be on this particular path or a warrant the hosts to have any kind of sense of self or memory. This show brings to mind a lot of the questions that have been asked by other shows about artificial intelligence only if makes it even more real and thought-provoking because the hosts are very likeable. At least a number of them are. The other thing I can't figure is exactly what did Harris is trying to accomplish. He is definitely a guest but he seems to have been there for an extended. Of time and has some goal that none of the other guests have. I also wondered what would happen if a guest fell deeply in love with one of the host characters and wanted to take them into the real world so to speak. Now that could be some kind of big issue.

Krystal
Site Admin

October 25th, 2016, 4:57 am #2

That is the ed Harris, character, he is a guest seems to have some additional purpose or goal. Then there's the underlying question did Hopkins and his former partner want to play God by making this world?

bilki
Site Admin

October 27th, 2016, 3:04 pm #3

It's funny to me that I happened upon a review of The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind several days after it was referenced in Episode 3 of the show. They have the book at a branch of my local library but it's at an inconvenient location.

I'm still leaning towards The Man in Black playing a part in the Hosts accessing their past memories, although it certainly looks like it has more to do with Bernard and his conversations with Dolores.

Evan Rachel Wood is so good! And, James Marsden has been better than I expected.

tgir
Site Admin

October 27th, 2016, 4:45 pm #4

I think I have developed a relationship to the show that some of the guests have with the hosts, a kind of detached engagement. I find that I am interested--intrigued, even, but with a kind of detachment that I don't normally experience. Back in thd good ole GL days, those characters were real (kinda) to me and I was emotionally invested in what happened to Reva and thd rest. With Westworld, it's more.. Well, I can't say intellectual but not the same level of emotional engagement. I feel protective towards Delores and the Newton character and appalled not only by the cruelty of individual guests but of the entire set up. The hosts feel the pain and horror of the rapes, murders, etc. the guests are safe from any actual consequences. It's an appalling set up, to me. More than callous: horrific. And yet I'm completely aware that Delores's father and mother aren't really killed because they weren't really alive. She will forget all about the vicious attacks, experience the joys of a new day--and then the horror again. It's fascinating to me that she paints (not terribly well), that she creates art, even if it is only rudimentary.

Krystal
Site Admin

October 27th, 2016, 7:22 pm #5

There are numerous well-known scientists including Stephen Hawking who thinks artificial intelligence will actually in humanity within several hundred years. Looking at this election I don't think that's a terribly bad. In any case it seems as if we create things that can feel Joy and Pain then they are as human as we are because I am not a religious person who believes in some kind of deities having created humankind. So to me the show is extremely thought-provoking because exactly when do these Androids become human or so human that they can be exchanged for humans. The original Westworld movie certainly did not have all these nuances. The movie Blade Runner did and it was one of my all-time favorites. In any case I am rather attached to the hosts and I hope they get inventions again some of the more violent guests. I'm not sure what the man in Black exactly is but he is a great mystery and I love ed Harris

Krystal
Site Admin

October 27th, 2016, 11:18 pm #6

I also cared about the GL characters but don't forget that show was on for so many years. My grandmother and mother both watch the show in fact both my grandmothers watched it. So the characters were with me for a long long time. And even though I didn't watch it when I was in college or dental school my mother would fill me in every week as to what was happening. Because of course there were no VCRs or anything like that.

Dax
Site Admin

October 28th, 2016, 2:03 am #7

So there was a '30 years of CBS daytime being #1' edition of 'The Talk' a few weeks ago that Mom was saving for me to see, and I finally got to it the other night... From ATWT - Martha Byrne, Elizabeth Hubbard, Colleen Zenk, and Ellen Dolan... from GL, Grant Aleksander, Beth Chamberlin, Robert Newman, and Kim Zimmer... rushed - everybody only gets one kinda lame question each, but it was good to see 'our old friends'... Newman does not age. Aleksander looks a little older, but he looks good. Byrne still super-lovely, I've missed her...

bilki
Site Admin

October 30th, 2016, 3:09 am #8

Is the way the Guests dehumanize the Hosts at the Westworld park the same as the way we dehumanize each other? Sure, the Hosts aren't what we would consider to be an actual human being but I wonder if the internal process of dehumanization is much the same. I was reading an article about the psychology of hate and it got my mind spinning.

Krystal
Site Admin

October 30th, 2016, 7:41 pm #9

I think we do dehumanize others that's what racism this all about that one race is less human than another. Like I said the show is very thought-provoking on many levels

tgir
Site Admin

October 30th, 2016, 10:05 pm #10

I agree that we dehumanize other people. In the case of Westworld, the Hosts are not human so they cannot be dehumanized. Instead, Guests, or humans, feel and indeed are made free to act on whatever impulses they choose because their victims are not human and are not even truly alive.

I do see huge parallels: in our real world, we do tend to dehumanize other people in order to justify or simply allow whatever behavior we choose.