tgir
Site Admin

October 31st, 2016, 8:51 pm #11

So, I've noticed the following: Of the fair bit of nudity on WestWorld, so far it's only been female characters (including both human and hosts) who are shown with...their bathing suit parts displayed---and last episode: one male black host, although largely if not completely screened. We still saw male genitalia. I'm being a bit delicate here as I don't want to offend anyone or violate board rules by naming parts. We see both male and female characters nude from the back, but only female characters full on frontal and while the general public still seems to be mortally offended if a woman breastfeeds in public, we see female breasts frequently. So far, the only characters being raped are female. The only characters who are explicitly expected to provide sexual services to Guests are female.

Why exactly do you think that is? Male characters dominate as do white characters. Why do we not see more full frontal naked men, especially full frontal naked white men?

Krystal
Site Admin

October 31st, 2016, 11:13 pm #12

I didn't know we have rules about naming parts. In any case women get raped more than men so maybe that's just being realistic as to what happened. I am okay with male or female nudity

tgir
Site Admin

November 1st, 2016, 12:05 am #13

I don't have a problem with nudity. The gender and racial disparity is a different question.

I see how rape as an 'amusement' fits in with the story I feel the show is trying to tell. But I am really not happy with the extent to which tape is represented as being such a .. prominent feature of female lives--regrettable but almost inescapable. I don't agree that it is inevitable.

bilki
Site Admin

November 1st, 2016, 12:37 am #14

It would have been a big plus if they'd have given us at least one female guest who was there on her own accord. That would have given them the opportunity to show how men can be objectified at the park. Perhaps that's something they'll explore in the future.

The cynic in me says the prominence of female genetalia and white males probably has more to do with what Hollywood believes is more commercially appealing than the show trying to be realistic.

This show has been eye-opening into how desensitized to violence on television I've become. Unless it's an usually gruesome scene or the death of a much loved character, I feel like my mind just glosses over most of the violence I see. But the Hosts in Westworld are constantly being violated in one way or another, and these are the kind of memories that they will be awakening to...which makes the violence here seem important, all of the sudden.

tgir
Site Admin

November 1st, 2016, 12:27 pm #15

Bilki, Yes, exactly! to everything you wrote! Until last episode when we got a glimpse of (black) male genitalia, I thought it was just sexism. Now, think there's a bit of another ism going on, as well. I think it's all extremely unconscious but I think it's there.

And yes, Dolores's repeated rapes are exactly all about how horribly desensitized we/society are about sexual violence and how it's never desensitized for the victim. The violence is just callous and because we don't have the same connection and do not see the victims in the same light as we do Delores, it is less horrific. Which also says something about us, I think.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 1st, 2016, 10:25 pm #16

Good points. Have there been any female guests that we know of? I think it's sad that men want to come in and rape anything or anybody whether they are human or not. And shoot them and be violent to them. It would be nice if guests could shoot one another. I often thought that a good thing to do with violent rapists and murderers would be to put them on an island all together by themselves and let them do whatever to one another.

I have not seen the most recent one I will watch it tonight and keep my eye out for the male genitalia or any other genitalia for that matter.

Regarding the sensitivity or the lack of it when you have a presidential candidate that is such a pig and feels he can do anything to any woman because he is a so-called star, well that thing says a lot about that culture. And the fact that every woman in the United States is not rebelling against this pig says something about our culture as well

bilki
Site Admin

November 1st, 2016, 11:18 pm #17

Hopefully, the show will find a thoughtful way to address all of the violence. I appreciate that it's already enlightened me to how desensitized I've become to it.
wrote:Have there been any female guests that we know of?
There was a wife in one of the earlier episodes but it seemed like she was there because her husband brought her along.

I thought Sunday's episode felt a bit clunky. Like something wasn't adding up. There's a big theory that may or may not explain that. I did get a chuckle out of the critics who called the orgy scene tame for modern audiences.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 2nd, 2016, 12:12 am #18

Will Sons of Anarchy got over the top violent for me. Especially when good characters who really were not slime bags were getting killed.

On the other hand Breaking Bad didn't never bother me. Most of the people killed there were lo life drug dealers. That being said I still watch Criminal Intent which can be as gruesome as anything.

tgir
Site Admin

November 2nd, 2016, 4:03 am #19

bilki wrote:Hopefully, the show will find a thoughtful way to address all of the violence. I appreciate that it's already enlightened me to how desensitized I've become to it.
wrote:Have there been any female guests that we know of?
There was a wife in one of the earlier episodes but it seemed like she was there because her husband brought her along.

I thought Sunday's episode felt a bit clunky. Like something wasn't adding up. There's a big theory that may or may not explain that. I did get a chuckle out of the critics who called the orgy scene tame for modern audiences.
There was a female guest who was taken upstairs by one of the prostitutes...We've seen a couple of family groups: husband, wife, child or children. I remember one who saw Delores painting a scene at the river, of horses and one of the horses coming to be stroked by one of the children...

We see some women guests occasionally but they don't actually have any role aside from filler. The only hosts we see who are female, aside from filler (and those are generally prostitutes. Or victims) are Delores who is the damsel and the two prostitute characters, Maeve and Clementine, both prostitutes although we did see Armistice, the female outlaw. There are others but not of much note.

What the heck is a louche bachelor? Logan is described as such.
Last edited by tgir on November 2nd, 2016, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 2nd, 2016, 5:15 am #20

Well I watch this episode tonight and I really didn't see any rapes. The orgy was weird but looked consenual. The plot is thickening however and I have to say I don't know quite where the show is going. I don't understand what the bird means

Also it seems like a big waste of money too make artificial horses and chickens Etc when you can have real ones what would be the difference. It's not like the animals have some kind of huge role in this storyline