Watching and Sampling

Dax
Site Admin

August 28th, 2014, 2:12 am #1

Hi.

This will be a big year for me of Final Seasons of Major Favorites... Mad Men (7 more episodes to finish Season 7), Sons of Anarchy (7), Justified (6), Boardwalk Empire (5), The Newsroom (aw, only 3 years of Sorkin-on-HBO)... and also several network shows I've always liked - Parks and Recreation (7), Glee (6), Parenthood (6), and former-network-now-streaming Community (6-but-then-we-also-need-a-movie). EDIT - Also the last seasons for USA's White Collar (6) and Showtime's Nurse Jackie (7) ...

The new network shows I'm most interested in are Gracepoint (though, um, it might not FEEL 'new'), Gotham, and... hm. Not much else, really. Curious about Constantine, I guess. Will check out a few, but it looks like a pretty crappy crop of newbies (in the fall; midseason looks a bit better).

On cable, I expect to be really excited about The Affair on Showtime.

How about you?

Blosslover has already seen a few of the on-line/on-demand sneak previews... which ones? How were they?

Last edited by Dax on September 12th, 2014, 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

August 28th, 2014, 2:41 am #2

So far I watched: Selfie, A to Z and Red Band Society. A to Z was on demand, while the others were online views (though while RBS was available online I could watch it on demand), and Selfie is now listed on demand too.

A to Z: I didn't expect to watch this as I had no idea it was available. I never saw a link about it on my twitter feed, but it was shown on NBC on demand. The show starts the chick who was the mother on How I met your mother and Ben Feldman from Mad Men. The episode was over 25 minutes without adverts, and the credits were at the end. So during the program, I was thinking that's Katey Sagal's voice, nice to hear her wish she was on this show. The show wasn't bad for the romantic comedy genre, and the basic premise was the finite time in a relationship. How it is set up, it looks like each episode will be a letter, so perhaps the goal is to make 26 shows in total, though if it works they'd have to play with that. It reminded me of a movie in some ways as the main characters work across the way from one another and they even define the whole concept of how you see someone or hear about someone and how then you hear about or see them all the time. I liked that usage, but honestly while NBC is airing it on Thursday night I can't see it being the next Friends. It wasn't awful, but not amazing.

Red Band Society: Basically this reminded me of Glee. Not Glee in later seasons, but Glee early on as it has dark humor. It doesn't have singing, but it has a group of people who would have never interacted unless they didn't share hospital stays. There are all types of people, from coma boy (Everwood TM who does the voice over), to the cheerleader, to the girl with the eating disorder etc. David Annabale (who was on Brothers and Sisters, which I didn't watch, and Reunion which I did and loved though it was disappointing how it didn't get a wrap up beyond some writing...I remember discussing it with you all years ago) is the main doctor. He has some gray, which is odd, but a part of me likes it. Octavia Spencer plays a "Crazy Bitch" at least according to her cup from Starbucks, and is the nurse in charge of the ward. I like her a lot in this role, which is good. (Wilson Cruz from My So Called Life plays a nurse in this too, so if you like him that was another cool thing.)

Selfie: John Cho and Karen Gillan (aka Nebula/evil blue girl in Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Who's Scottish Amy Pond Williams) star in this show, which is a play on "My Fair Lady", as the character's name is Eliza Dooley instead of Dolittle, though there is no singing so it should actually be a variation on "Pygmalion". Also Cho's character is named Henry Higgins, for goodness sake. When watching this I wondered how long could they really go with this concept, as it would only take so long for Eliza to become nice. Basically the reason that Eliza goes to Henry for help is that she is humiliated on a work trip after getting airsick and finding out that her boss that she was sleeping with was married. There is a voiceover on this show also, that Eliza does. By the end, Henry and Eliza have a tentative agreement and seem to like one another. We see more of Eliza's background like her hipster female neighbors, and such than Henry's so I hope it evens out sometime.

More later after I watch Forever, and whatever else I can find on demand and online as it seems like a lot of shows may be available early. (Forever is available online via Hulu Plus, ABC.com if you have it tied to your cable/satellite provider and on demand.) That said some may get Paley premieres first and then only get online, but that's fine too.
Last edited by blosslover on August 28th, 2014, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

August 28th, 2014, 3:51 am #3

Gillan is so pretty. Show sounds terrible, but I liked Emily Kapnek's Suburgatory, which also starred a gorgeous redhead doing some voiceover.

I've seen enough positive advance word that I expect I'll 'like' (the pilot of) Red Band Society, but I think I'll probably have to REALLY like it to commit to it, and I'm not sure that'll happen...

blosslover
Site Admin

August 28th, 2014, 4:58 pm #4

I didn't watch Suburgatory so I can't compare. Here is Karen doing the ice bucket challenge as the pink power ranger... http://www.digitalspy.com/fun/news/a593 ... gAv2CjzqZF

Krystal
Site Admin

August 28th, 2014, 9:20 pm #5

We are back to not watching much which is our usual state. The Bridge, Honorable Woman, HOW, and Legends (just OK, is about it). I have Strain, Extant and Tyrant taped, but DH has very little interest in them, so we have been watching movies instead.

blosslover
Site Admin

September 15th, 2014, 10:15 pm #6

Here is HitFix's fall preview section... http://www.hitfix.com/falltv

PS Dax have you read the EW fall preview in the magazine?

Dax
Site Admin

September 15th, 2014, 10:40 pm #7

Not yet.

bilki
Site Admin

September 15th, 2014, 11:16 pm #8

Gotham is the only thing I feel like I need to check out. Other than Survivor, I feel like I don't have much to look forward to this Fall, lol.

At least I have S2 of Rectify to keep me occupied for a week or two.

Last year The Sopranos was keeping me busy.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 16th, 2014, 11:07 pm #9

I am taping The Roosevelts but questionable that I will watch it.

blosslover
Site Admin

September 17th, 2014, 2:25 am #10

Fall Season Preview with critics from the Television Academy. It is over 90 minutes long, I haven't watched it in full, but figured if anyone was interested that I'd share it.

http://www.emmys.com/events/fall-season-preview-2014