Watching and Sampling

Dax
Site Admin

August 4th, 2013, 4:29 am #1

I watch these (grouping shows as oldest-to-youngest - interesting to see how few shows make it past five seasons, you know?) -

Saturday Night Live Season 39, NBC

The Simpsons Season 25, Fox

South Park Season 17, Comedy Central

Family Guy Season 12, Fox

Grey's Anatomy Season 10, ABC

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 9, FXX

Mad Men, 7th and final season (Part 1), AMC

Nurse Jackie Season 6, Showtime
Parks & Recreation Season 6, NBC
Sons of Anarchy Season 6, FX

Archer Season 5, FX
Community Season 5, NBC
Glee Season 5, Fox
The Good Wife Season 5, CBS
Justified Season 5, FX
Modern Family Season 5, ABC
Parenthood Season 5, NBC
White Collar Season 5, USA

Bob's Burgers Season 4, Fox
Boardwalk Empire Season 4, HBO
Game of Thrones Season 4, HBO
Nikita, 4th and final season, CW
Portlandia Season 4, IFC
Raising Hope Season 4, Fox
Shameless Season 4, Showtime
Treme, 4th and final season, HBO
The Walking Dead Season 4, AMC

American Horror Story Season 3 ('Coven'), FX
Dallas Season 3 (or 17), TNT
Girls Season 3, HBO
Homeland Season 3, Showtime
House of Lies Season 3, Showtime
Key & Peele Season 3, Comedy Central
Once Upon A Time Season 3, ABC
Person of Interest Season 3, CBS
Revenge Season 3, ABC
Scandal Season 3, ABC
Suburgatory Season 3, ABC
Veep Season 3, HBO

The Americans Season 2, FX
Bates Motel Season 2, A&E
The Following Season 2, Fox ** Maybe... will watch the premiere, and then decide... it's 'on probation'... **
Hannibal Season 2, NBC
Legit Season 2, FXX
Kroll Show Season 2, Comedy Central
The Mindy Project Season 2, Fox
Nashville Season 2, ABC
Orphan Black Season 2, BBC America
Rectify Season 2, Sundance
Ripper Street Season 2, BBC America

New shows I'm pre-sold on...

Derek, Netflix
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Fox
Hello Ladies, HBO
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., ABC
Masters of Sex, Showtime
The Michael J. Fox Show, NBC
Once Upon A Time in Wonderland, ABC

Last edited by Dax on October 10th, 2013, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

September 3rd, 2013, 10:18 pm #2

So while I'd say the 'summer season' continues through to the conclusion of Low Winter Sun on 10/6, I'd say the 'fall' season starts today, with the BBC America Season 3 premiere of Luther, which will run for the next four nights... it's a show I haven't watched the first two seasons of, but have on dvd... not watching now - think I'll wait 'til over the December lull... I've done a lot of marathoning lately, and even though altogether this is just 14 episodes (6/4/4), I'd rather wait (doing some movies on Netflix now, while things are still kinda light) ... will collect Luther on the dvr, and if I need space, delete, because I could just grab the dvd of 3 later cheaply enough, I think...

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia starts tomorrow, but has moved from FX to spinoff FXX. Okay.

Other early starters... Boardwalk Empire on Sunday (can't wait!)... Sons of Anarchy next Tuesday (excited about this, too)...

9/16 - I'll sample Sleepy Hollow (the night of the Under the Dome and Siberia finales)
9/17 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine... The Mindy Project... will sample Fox's Dads...
9/18 - Survivor (and the Big Brother finale)... Key & Peele...
9/22 - The Emmys... Dexter series finale... Ray Donovan finale... Copper finale... penultimate episode of Breaking Bad...
9/23 - Will sample 'Mom' on CBS... will sample Hostages on CBS... will sample The Blacklist on NBC...
9/24 - Marvel's Agents of SHIELD... Person of Interest... will sample Trophy Wife on ABC...
9/25 - South Park... Nashville... Modern Family... Broadchurch finale...
9/26 (my birthday) - Glee... Grey's Anatomy... Parks & Recreation... The Michael J. Fox Show... Parenthood... will sample The Crazy Ones on CBS...
9/28 - SNL
9/29... BREAKING BAD SERIES FINALE... Premieres of The Good Wife, Homeland, Masters of Sex, Hello Ladies, Once Upon A Time, Revenge, the animated shows on Fox...
10/2 - The Bridge finale
10/3 - Scandal... will sample The Millers on CBS...
10/5 - Hell on Wheels finale
10/6 - Low Winter Sun (2 episode) finale
10/9 - American Horror Story: Coven
10/10 - Once Upon A Time in Wonderland
10/13 - The Walking Dead
10/16 - Pixar's first-ever holiday television special, Toy Story of Terror
10/17 - White Collar
10/18 - The Birthday Boys (sketch show on IFC, produced by Bob Odenkirk)
11/4 - will sample Almost Human on Fox
11/8 - Raising Hope
12/1 - Treme... Ripper Street...
12/4 - Mob City on TNT. Terrible title (it has gone through a couple others), but this is the long-anticipated follow-up from Frank Darabont, after he was ousted from The Walking Dead...)
Last edited by Dax on September 3rd, 2013, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 4th, 2013, 1:21 am #3

We watch so little, 4 shows a week is about it. Watching BB of course. Low Winter Sun is OK, Dome is OK, Hell on Wheels OK. That is it. Will watch SOA when it returns, Good Wife, POI, can't even think of what else. I'll watch Walking Dead and AHS, hsb won't. No sitcoms, we both don't like them, no reality. That leaves out a lot.

Should say watch Colbert and Daily, which I think are comedy, but also news. I will NOT watch anything with a laugh track, makes me furious and I hate it. Live audience is OK.

Dax
Site Admin

September 4th, 2013, 1:36 am #4

It's been a long time since I've watched a multi-camera/studio audience sitcom (the one season of Kelsey Grammer's 'Back To You', 07-08 ... the Amy Sherman-Palladino 'Return of Jezebel James' in 08, but that only lasted three episodes...), but I'll be sampling a few of them this year. Doubt I'll stick with them, though...
Last edited by Dax on September 4th, 2013, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

September 5th, 2013, 2:56 am #5

I'm gonna check out Marvel's Agents of the SHIELD, mostly because Alan Sepinwall has been talking it up. Of course, I'll watch SURVIVOR. I may get a little bored after Breaking Bad, The Bridge and Broadchurch come to an end, though.

Dax
Site Admin

September 7th, 2013, 5:47 pm #6

Trophy Wife (ABC) - Premieres 9/24, but previewing online for a week or so.
-
Malin Akerman -- Kate
Bradley Whitford -- Pete
Michaela Watkins -- Jackie
Natalie Morales -- Meg
Ryan Lee -- Warren
Gianna LePera -- Hillary (in pilot; from #2-on, it's Bailee Madison)
Albert Tsai -- Bert
and Marcia Gay Harden -- Diane

I've loved really-pretty-and-funny Akerman since Lisa Kudrow's HBO show, The Comeback, and she was one of the only things I liked about the film made from one of my favorite graphic novels, Watchmen...

Love Bradley Whitford. He's always funny to me.

I liked Michaela Watkins on SNL. Marcia Gay Harden is always good. The girl playing the daughter in the pilot wasn't bad, but she's replaced by Bailee Madison, who is really good as the Young Snow in flashbacks on Once Upon A Time...

Akerman is the third wife to Whitford, who has two kids from one ex-wife and another from his second. Dysfunctional 'big family' stuff happens. Pilot has some funny stuff in it.

Co-creator Sarah Haskins is basing this on her own life, she's the third wife of Blake Edwards' son (actress Denise Crosby was Wife #2). Co-creator Emily Halpern worked on Private Practice and The Unit. Executive producers are Lee Eisenberg & Gene Stupnitsky, who worked on the US Office for a long time (and are now also working with original Office co-creator Stephen Merchant on his new HBO series, Hello Ladies).

Dax
Site Admin

September 14th, 2013, 6:31 am #7

Krystal
Site Admin

September 14th, 2013, 9:29 pm #8

What happened to Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? It was on at 12:30 here, and I'd put it on sometimes at lunch couple times a week if the news was too repetitive or depressing (Zimmerman, Syria etc). It just seems to be gone.

Dax
Site Admin

September 15th, 2013, 12:29 am #9

Still running in syndication, so that's a local question...

bilki
Site Admin

September 15th, 2013, 3:08 am #10

OK, I'll have to check out Sleepy Hollow just to see if it's as crazy as Sepinwall claims.