Dax
Site Admin

9:55 PM - Dec 30, 2013 #241

Scandal #8... crazy-good... 2 more to be caught up...

Sepinwall is very happy with the return of Community (first two air on Thursday)... looking forward to that...

Interesting thing on Showtime tomorrow... the cast of House of Lies (third season premieres on 1/12) doing a 'Live' (online today sometime, I think) half-hour of improv comedy games... sounds fun.
Last edited by Dax on 8:34 AM - Jan 05, 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

10:18 PM - Dec 30, 2013 #242

We just saw season 1. I think I will get Netflix (if I can).
Last edited by Krystal on 10:34 PM - Dec 30, 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

10:37 PM - Dec 30, 2013 #243

Taking that as a 'yes' for DVDs, how you watched it.

Netflix is well-worth the $8/month (first month free). If your tv is hooked directly to the internet, you're fine... or you can (as I did) run it through a blu-ray player... I know you're not a fan of watching on the computer...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

5:32 AM - Dec 31, 2013 #244

Dax I always LOVE the Kennedy center Honors. Always a dynamite show, better than the awards shows because it's all about the performers.

Mark wasn't sure he'd like Billy Joel's segment, thinks of him as rock-lite pop, which he mostly despises, but agreed that thinking of Joel as a songwriter, and a performer closer to Tony Bennett rather than the Stones made him more likeable. I LOVED seeing Rufus Wainwright and wish to god he'd tour.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

6:41 AM - Dec 31, 2013 #245

>> I always LOVE the Kennedy Center Honors.

Haven't watched it yet... I watch most of it every year, but will sometimes fast through people I don't care much about...

As a big fan, I'm in no way 'objective', but Billy Joel is SO much more than 'rock-lite pop'. Fantastic songwriter and a super performer... very likable/personable/funny...

I like Rufus. Saw him live as an opener for Tori Amos years ago...

-

Caught up on Scandal. Awesome fun. Always so much BIG stuff going on... love Sepinwall's line on his Year's Best list... 'feels at times like a show Shonda Rhimes is making on a dare'. Definitely cuckoo-bananas.
Last edited by Dax on 8:59 AM - Dec 31, 2013, edited 2 times in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

8:34 PM - Dec 31, 2013 #246

Downton Abbey returns Sunday in conflict with GW and Revenge. Think we might catch Revenge on On Demand later. Definately the least desirable of the 3.

Krystal
Site Admin

8:43 PM - Dec 31, 2013 #247

We just watched the second Mob City, I think it is a snooze but hsb likes it so we will watch the third, maybe tonight.

Dax
Site Admin

9:00 PM - Dec 31, 2013 #248

Kennedy Center Honors was a good show. (Only fasted through most of the opera...)

KMInfinity
Site Admin

2:14 AM - Jan 01, 2014 #249

>>>>>As a big fan, I'm in no way 'objective', but Billy Joel is SO much more than 'rock-lite pop'. Fantastic songwriter and a super performer...

Mark is VERY snobby about music. he drives me crazy sometimes. I am much more eclectic. He is a rock purist, and can very cogently argue rings around me regarding music and the industry, and I am hard to argue with. It doesn't help that he is good friends with likeminded folks, some who are musicians. He got in a tiff with me because one of his gifts was The Rolling Stones Trivial Pursuit, and he was bitching about how Mick is such a sell out. He agreed Joel came off much better than he expected at the Kennedy Center honors. He really liked the song Goodnight Saigon.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

2:24 AM - Jan 01, 2014 #250

It's just funny. Billy (and the others) didn't do anything except blow kisses and mouth 'thank you' and, you know, take in the love... (they don't even make them make speeches...). Did Mark not know Goodnight Saigon before? (the lyrics are all great - have him hear the whole thing... it's a long one...) But yeah, a great on-stage moment...

All six songs played are/were huge hits, of course, but his non-hits catalog is every bit as impressive...

Stones - whether you love, hate, or are indifferent to them (I've always liked them, but I'm not a huge fan), one has to respect that they're still going after so long (AND aren't terrible at it...). Sell-out? Nah. Sure, there's always been a profit motive, but allowing Trivial Pursuit to put out a special edition celebrating your career... I think that's more cool than not.

(I do wanna see the RS Sweet Summer Sun concert... it's on Showtime this month...)
Last edited by Dax on 2:24 AM - Jan 01, 2014, edited 1 time in total.