Viewers Don't Like New Look

southsidegirl

11:45 PM - Mar 26, 2008 #1

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... ts_ne.html

Viewers don't like soap 'Guiding Light's new look
By DAVID HINCKLEY
DAILY NEWS TV CRITIC

Wednesday, March 26th 2008, 4:00 AM

A number of readers seem to agree with the complaint of angry viewers, reported here last week, that the new style of "The Guiding Light" isn't working.

The 71-year-old soap gave itself a major face-lift last month, with hand-held cameras, extreme closeups of the performers and a generally less "canned" look.

The producers say they're happy and that it gives the show a fresher, more contemporary look.

Reader Carolyn Brown, among others, begs to differ.

"Producer Janet Morrison says viewer response has been generally great. I am sorry to say that this is a blatant lie," wrote Brown. "All of the Web sites that I have seen constantly give bad reviews. I would say that about 90% of the feedback is negative. Longtime viewers such as myself demand that 'Guiding Light' go back to the original format. We cannot watch the show as it is."

Reader Luanne Malouf says "Guiding Light" is not the only offender: " 'All My Children' used something similar to what 'Guiding Light' is doing. 'AMC' fans didn't like it. Having a hand-held or single camera stinks. The quality is lacking."

bilki
Site Admin

12:15 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #2

Those producers must be blind if they think it makes the show look fresher and more contemporary.

tgir
Site Admin

12:45 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #3

What I do like is that certain sets are more realistic and better looking than that dimly lit Beacon monstrosity where every scene was shot.

I like the idea that we get an overview of what Springfield is supposed to look like. I don't like that this sweeping panorama/chamber of commerce promo is taking the place of all substance of GL.

The sound is improved but still stinks.

The camera work is improved but still not good, and often just wrong.

Deleted User
Deleted User

1:37 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #4

I, for one, HATE it!! The sound is AWFUL! I have to turn the television up all the way just to have to turn it back down on the commercials or else they scare the bejezus out of me!

It reminds me of watching horrible home movies. They should have spent money on improving the old way, not implementing a brand new awful way. Should have spent that money on getting a new producer. :firemad:

Deleted User
Deleted User

2:18 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #5

People don't seem to understand that this facelift wasn't for creative reasons (despite all the spin in the press that suggested it was).

This was done so that the show would survive. The digicams are cheaper to run, and GL let go of 50 people on its production staff by doing this.

I ain't a big fan of it either, but had they not done this, GL would have likely been cancelled this spring.

Deleted User
Deleted User

3:01 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #6

Yeah I know it HAD to be done (financial reasons and all that), and there is no going back. All we can hope for, or well, what I hope for is that the sound will improve (and I hear that it will soon) and they keep perfecting those hand held cams. I may complain alot, but I don't want the show cancelled.

tgir
Site Admin

3:25 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #7

GuillermoIbarra wrote:People don't seem to understand that this facelift wasn't for creative reasons (despite all the spin in the press that suggested it was).

This was done so that the show would survive. The digicams are cheaper to run, and GL let go of 50 people on its production staff by doing this.

I ain't a big fan of it either, but had they not done this, GL would have likely been cancelled this spring.
I know that they did it for financial reasons--not sure the general soap viewing public realizes this.

That is part of the reason that I try to point out things that are better: it is nice not to have everything in that horrible badly lit Beacon set. The camera work and sound are better. I truly do appreciate that tptb are trying to find cost savings to make the show more viable.

The biggest problems with the show remain: the writing is terrible. Not every scene is bad--some are actually good if you take them as self contained units. Strung together, they do not form cohesive storylines that are consistent with what has happend in just the last few months, much less years.

Some broad overviews of some storylines aren't bad, but the execution and particulars are anywhere from lackluster to horrible.

There is a general sense that tptb dislike women (who are the majority of the viewers), and disrespect soaps as a genre, and the soap audience as a whole. It's like they take one small but rabidly vocal fanbase, cast that as the general soap audience and at once try to court that audience--aiming very low on the intelligence/taste levels and piss it off as much as possible at the same time.

Honestly, I loved the story of Reva and Josh and really wish the writers would have just left them together the last time, and allowed both characters to interact with lots of other characters in lots of other ways, the way it used to be. If they felt they had to break up Reva/Josh, and put Josh/Cassie together, why not do it well? There was a story there that could have been told that would have pissed off plenty of viewers, sure, but it would have sucked them into the story instead of into fanbase infighting. Honestly, I don't care if stories don't turn out the way I wnat them to--that has always happened. But it used to be that the story that was told was told well.

If the storytelling were decent, I'd be thrilled to overlook a great deal, production wise. Remember, GL started as a radio show: no fancy sets and costumes. Just good old fashioned good story telling that drew viewers in because it was telling the compelling stories of human lives and interactions and relationships that everybody experiences.

Erik

3:59 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #8

People should have a problem with it! It's a show on network TV! Besides that, it's all about professionalism to be prepared for the transition. To not be prepared ahead of "go time" is a sign of unprofessionalism. They should of been prepared for this, so they wouldn't have kinks. That's just professional curtiousy. It's also a sign of whether they are truely refined artist. To do the show like I write posts isn't exactly comforting, because I spent five minutes on this.
I don't want to see,
Knowing I'll be blind once more-
Content...less than more

Liv's motive, their means-
Opprotunity skews that,
Something pulled by strings

Give just a little,
Receive much more in return-
Give and receive this

Dax
Site Admin

7:01 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #9

I'd rather the show be cancelled than look and sound like this.

Peapack IS a pretty-looking town, but...

The new format is a failure in every respect. It doesn't look fresh or exciting or contemporary or cool. It looks like shit.

Theory or fact? Failing to find good scabs during the strike, Wheeler had to get some fans (many without even a high school education) to churn out pages of dialogue, and that's what's airing now.

Theory or fact? The operators working the digicams aren't professional cameramen... they're fans that won a 'Be A Part Of Guiding Light' contest. Many of them have never held such equipment before... but they're given a ten-minute tutorial just before shooting starts each day... 'on/off button is here... zoom is here... the actors will be standing... over there... get them in the shot as best you can... you can look through this little window here, and--'

When the pool of contest-winners is exhausted, they'll grab their 'volunteers' from a New Jersey prison work-release program, or maybe from some high school theatre tech classes.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

8:49 AM - Mar 27, 2008 #10

Does anyone watch Big Brother After Dark? Well if you do you know you are constantly having to adjust the volume because of the sound when the contestant are talking. The same thing happens when I watch GL under the new format. I am forever trying to figure out what to do with the volume and I just don't think the show is that good to have to deal with the volume button and the FF button. To be fair I haven't watched enough episodes to get used to the new format but what I have seen hasn't impressed me.

I'm wondering if maybe they shouldn't have left sleeping does lie and just cancel the show if they can't put out a quality production. I know there is a lot of sentiment running high when it comes to this soap but honestly the soap 'I' grew up with died a LONG time ago. :rip:
Last edited by Gatekeeper on 9:34 AM - Mar 27, 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.