Deleted User
Deleted User

March 23rd, 2008, 11:18 pm #11

tgir wrote:And employing writers and producers who weren't afraid to call characters what they are: Jeffrey is a rapist, for starters. Danny was a mobster. etc, etc. etc.
And why do you think that is, tgir? I've been wondering that myself.

tgir
Site Admin

March 23rd, 2008, 11:28 pm #12

shadowplay wrote:
tgir wrote:And employing writers and producers who weren't afraid to call characters what they are: Jeffrey is a rapist, for starters. Danny was a mobster. etc, etc. etc.
And why do you think that is, tgir? I've been wondering that myself.
My theory, and mind you, it's only a theory is:

A) They hire an attractive actor who attracts a following based upon his charisma, looks, whatever. Because of his 'huge popularity' ===vocal fan base, tptb chicken out on having the bad guy actually be called a bad guy. Instead, he must be merely misunderstood, etc. This is to appease the 'fans.' If they write the character as too much a bad guy, they have written him into a corner and risk having a lot of fans not accept redeption. I think it's because the writers can't carry off such complexity.

B) The writers lack the talent (and some of the actors (cough, cough: Brad Cole) do, as well) to actually pull off shades of gray characters. We were told, over and over, that Jeffrey had a mysterious past. Brad Cole fans raved about how 'mysterious' Jeffrey was. I never found him mysterious: just poorly conceived, poorly drawn, poorly written. He didn't make sense, and not in a way that made me curious as to who he actually was. When something doesn't make sense, or defies logic, I am turned off, not intrigued.

Thing is, in the past, there were characters who were shades of gray: Roger, Phillip, Ed, for example. Alex, too. India. You could see the wounded person inside the villain/anti-hero. No one ever pretended they were better than they were, including the characters and actors themselves. Olivia still is, depsite the efforts of tptb. Danny could/should have been, but he wasn't. Tpbt chickened out and actually had nothing to write except Danny is in the mob but wants out/danny is out of the mob but is being drawn back in. And that done poorly because every other scene had to be billing/cooing with Michelle. I always thought PAS was a miscast as Danny, but I certainly thought he had the talent to pull off better material. In fact, I think it is a tribute to his talent that he garnered such a large following with such badly written, repetitive material.

Last edited by tgir on March 23rd, 2008, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeannie748

March 23rd, 2008, 11:29 pm #13

I know that I am going to be "Miss Unpopular", but does everything have to be so very serious? It is a soap and fictional. I know that they tempt us by interjecting very real situations, BUT it is still a soap.

Eric, I am not trying to instill your wrath :)

Jeannie748
Last edited by Jeannie748 on March 23rd, 2008, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik

March 24th, 2008, 1:13 am #14

Jeannie748 wrote:I know that I am going to be "Miss Unpopular", but does everything have to be so very serious? It is a soap and fictional. I know that they tempt us by interjecting very real situations, BUT it is still a soap.

Eric, I am not trying to instill your wrath :)

Jeannie748
It's not just about being realistic, but also logical. Even sci-fi shows use logic based in their reality.

The mob thing was totally General Hospital. I think GH is the cause of the downfall of soaps. Everything we find repulsive about soaps is attributed to GH. GH got women to say "Rape Me" to poor Anthony Geary, because of what they write. I'm sure women say "Kill Me" to Benard and Burton.

I guess at least the writers are seemingly ignoring Olivia's rape and I'm glad Brad Cole's fan base can be deluted enough to not say "Rape Me". Still, that doesn't change the apologies from Olivia, the pushing of olivia onto Jeffery, Ava period, and so on. It's just not as obvious as GH would do it, because the writers for GL are spineless sacks of sorry shit that hide under a rock rather than sit out in the sun like GH's arrogent writers do.

GL is like family. I don't consider my family a fantasy. They are just there.

Oh, and I hate "It's just a soap". Did Brad Cole fans say that when they got a PSA dropped for organ donation when Richard died?
I don't want to see,
Knowing I'll be blind once more-
Content...less than more

Liv's motive, their means-
Opprotunity skews that,
Something pulled by strings

Give just a little,
Receive much more in return-
Give and receive this

Manifan

March 24th, 2008, 1:59 am #15

Jeannie748 wrote:It is a soap and fictional. I know that they tempt us by interjecting very real situations, BUT it is still a soap.

Jeannie748
You might not want to use that "rationale" here unless you want a verbal beating back. Just sayin.'

tgir
Site Admin

March 24th, 2008, 2:49 am #16

Yep, it 's all fictional, but I can't enjoy something that insults my intelligence and doesn't follow any logic at all. It is even more upsetting to me because I've watched Gl for so many years.

I don't watch shows that I think insult women. These days, I think GL goes out of its way to do exactly that.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 24th, 2008, 4:59 pm #17

Okay, and out comes the "it's only a soap" defense for piss poor writing and a host of other ills.

But....

The hallmark of any art, even the art of a soap, rests with the assumption that the artists are there to do their best work, that the work deserves its due. The key concept for many fans is that the soap medium, like any media, can rise to the level of *art* if the commitment to excellence was felt by all the stakeholders involved. To denigrate the medium by saying "It's only a soap" is to say that the medium of soap opera, by definition, cannot ever rise to the level of art.

One can argue that soaps aren't any kind of art at all. Clearly, much of TV isn't. The tension between art and commercial crap, however, isn't due to the medium. You can have grand art on stage, or silly farce. You can have a Raphael, or a paint-by-numbers kit...The concept of "art" is one that's been debated in philosophy for millenia. I am in the group who believes that any medium, even a soap opera, can be "art."
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Hips

March 26th, 2008, 10:53 am #18

I'm confused, if you don't watch the show and are soo mad about Jeffery as a character, and get sooo upset over his sl.....why the hell are you even on this board, except to upset fans of his and Reva's for that matter?

tgir
Site Admin

March 26th, 2008, 11:45 am #19

Hips wrote:I'm confused, if you don't watch the show and are soo mad about Jeffery as a character, and get sooo upset over his sl.....why the hell are you even on this board, except to upset fans of his and Reva's for that matter?

Excuse me?

I've been a member of this board for years--predating the tenure of that vile, useless, disgusting empty sack/serial rapist aka Jeffrey O'Neill by years.

'Fans' of Brad Cole do not factor into any of my decisions about what to do, including what to post.

It's interesting that we suddenly get an influx of Brad Cole fans.

Last edited by tgir on March 26th, 2008, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Admin
Site Admin
Admin
Site Admin

March 26th, 2008, 12:08 pm #20

Hips wrote:I'm confused, if you don't watch the show and are soo mad about Jeffery as a character, and get sooo upset over his sl.....why the hell are you even on this board, except to upset fans of his and Reva's for that matter?
Personal attacks of any nature will not be tolerated. We’re all more or less adults, so “personal attacks” should be self-explanatory. This forum is intended for the civil, honest discussion of GL and related issues.

That being said the Admins & Mods don't have time to deal with troll like behavior and will ban such members that exhibit that type of behavior!

Hips is permanently banned so we can now get back on topic.