Twilight

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

July 8th, 2009, 12:21 pm #1

OK I thought 'Twilight' deserved it's own thread so we can chat away. I will warn you all that if you haven't read the whole 'Twilight' book series to leave now if you don't want to be spoiled. ;)

Amy, can you tell me WHY you didn't like the last book? I thought it was the perfect ending to the series and made a lot of sense and provided closure without closing the door on more sequels.

Here is a little article I picked up today. Take it for what it's worth ~ "Twilight" Kids Allegedly Pregnant
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Cheryl
Elite Members

July 9th, 2009, 3:13 am #2

Even though I'm only on the third one, I'm not all that worried about the spoilers. I mean......I saw the movie before I even read the first book so of course I knew what was gonna happen. Anyway, I'm so pissed. I took Eclipse into work today to read on my lunch hour and went and LEFT IT THERE!!! Now I have nothing to read tonight before I go to bed.

Arrgghh! :rant:

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

amy
Elite Members

July 9th, 2009, 8:11 am #3

Gatekeeper wrote:OK I thought 'Twilight' deserved it's own thread so we can chat away. I will warn you all that if you haven't read the whole 'Twilight' book series to leave now if you don't want to be spoiled. ;)

Amy, can you tell me WHY you didn't like the last book? I thought it was the perfect ending to the series and made a lot of sense and provided closure without closing the door on more sequels.

Here is a little article I picked up today. Take it for what it's worth ~ "Twilight" Kids Allegedly Pregnant
OK, so here is what I didn't like: it went on for fricking ever, there was so much useless nonsense, the whole sex thing was a bit much considering that it was a teens book (yeah, yeah, she didn't go into detail but did she even need to?) I thought it was just a little too neat and tidy. And I knew in the second book, at the beginning, that they were shapeshifters! I know I am looking at this through the eyes of a 40 something woman and criticizing a teens book, but it didn't sit well with me. It's like she sat down at the computer one day and said "I have to finish this series and I also have to think about dinner, hmmmm, what can I do to tie it all up in a neat little package that ends it and also leave the door open?" And then she typed like hell and embellished too much and we got "Breaking Dawn". I didn't like the way the characters were two dimensional in this book, I didn't like how integral characters were thrown into the background. I didn't like that Leah was dropped like a hot potato.

I guess that is enough for now. Incredibly there are still more things I didn't like about the book. The one thing I really liked was Charlie and Sue Clearwater getting together. And him being so practical about the whole 'thing'.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 9th, 2009, 2:32 pm #4

Amy I agree with a lot of what you said, especially the way Meyers overwrites and pads. If you broke down her plot events, not a whole lot happens.

I really disliked Bella, and was not much interested in her romance with Edward. What I did like about the books was the vampire culture Meyers created (well, maybe not the sparklies), so I'm with you there about the *background* characters. Personally, imo Meyers could have taken the entire series, scrapped Edward and Bella entirely, focused more on the Cullen family and their efforts to integrate in *normal* life, focused more on a romance between Alice and Jasper (who I found infinitely more interesting than B&E),developed conflict between the Cullens, the Denali AK vamps, the other vampire covens, and the Volturi.
iii
iii
iii

lexilou
Elite Members

July 9th, 2009, 10:11 pm #5

I just want to ask who is in KMI's signature and avatar?

I agree the ending was neat and tidy, but sometimes I want neat and tidy so that was okay with me. The sex thing, I could have done without so much of it and I wonder how the fourth movie is going to go since that was such a big part of it. Plus, one thing that I wonder, sorry if it's not appropriate, but Edward is always said to be cold as ice, sooooo (you can fill in the blank).

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 10th, 2009, 1:42 am #6

Avatar and sig banner (courtesy of Gate!) - the bestest vampire of all, William the Bloody, AKA Spike, from Buffy....
iii
iii
iii

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

July 10th, 2009, 9:28 am #7

lexilou wrote:I agree the ending was neat and tidy, but sometimes I want neat and tidy so that was okay with me. The sex thing, I could have done without so much of it and I wonder how the fourth movie is going to go since that was such a big part of it. Plus, one thing that I wonder, sorry if it's not appropriate, but Edward is always said to be cold as ice, sooooo (you can fill in the blank).
I like neat and tidy and I think they wrapped things up very nicely for Edward and Bella so Meyers can now move on to other vampires and stories characters within the Twilight books. See my comments below.

The 'sex thing' didn't bother me at all. Is it appropriate for teenager? Perhaps not but I'm not going to be the one to start censoring books in my house.

LOL Lexilou about Edward being cold as ice! I was thinking the same thing. Ouch?
kmi wrote:Personally, imo Meyers could have taken the entire series, scrapped Edward and Bella entirely, focused more on the Cullen family and their efforts to integrate in *normal* life, focused more on a romance between Alice and Jasper (who I found infinitely more interesting than B&E),developed conflict between the Cullens, the Denali AK vamps, the other vampire covens, and the Volturi.
I would love it if Meyers would go on and write books about the Cullen family and the other vampire covens but I have no problem with her introducing the families in the Twilight series.

I personally loved the series and the epic love story the books produced.

lexilou
Elite Members

July 10th, 2009, 12:49 pm #8

Not sure if I posted this before or not, but she did start to write Twilight from Edward's perspective, but it was leaked so she stopped and in an effort to take back ownership of the draft instead of having it posted by someone other than her, released it to her website, unfinished, for people to read.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

Cheryl
Elite Members

July 10th, 2009, 7:56 pm #9

KMInfinity wrote:Avatar and sig banner (courtesy of Gate!) - the bestest vampire of all, William the Bloody, AKA Spike, from Buffy....
And I can attest to that fact since I am now watching and am totally obsessed with the Buffy series and the FABULOUS character of Spike, played by the amazing James Marsters!!! Gate offered to make ME my own Spikey banner but I haven't gotten the pics together yet. But I will!

My hubby was already teasing me because he's on my wallpaper on my computer. :wub:

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2009, 11:27 am #10