Top of the Lake

Krystal
Site Admin

March 25th, 2013, 4:45 am #1

Watched the first hour and would have watched the second but too many distractions with the guests here. I really liked it. It has a sort of "Killing" atmosphere with Elisabeth Moss well cast as a savvy female detective in a very chauvanistic New Zealand town. A bit soapy but I am sure I'll be in it to the end.
Last edited by Krystal on March 25th, 2013, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

March 25th, 2013, 11:00 pm #2

When I watched during the original airing, I missed much of the first hour. So, I re-watched the full two hours and enjoyed it more the second time around.

The scenes with GJ and her wacky crew were what I liked best about it. I appreciated that GJ was "out there" but she wasn't spouting the usual New Age bullshit. Loved how she responded to the father who wanted to leave his teenage daughter there with the group.

While I love Elizabeth Moss as Peggy Olson, she didn't do anything that WOW-ed me here. Part of it may be the accent. The actor playing the controlling father is intriguing, though.

The writer of one of the reviews I read had only positive things to say about the third hour, so I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.

Krystal
Site Admin

March 27th, 2013, 4:56 am #3

I am looking fwd to the next 2 hours. No use watching with the guests here, too much chatter and this show takes some concentration. I like Moss in the role a lot.

Krystal
Site Admin

April 6th, 2013, 7:05 pm #4

I am enjoying this show, have not seen the last one. Find the accents hard though.

bilki
Site Admin

April 7th, 2013, 11:09 pm #5

I'm enjoying it, too. And feel the same about accents. There are times I haven't a clue what they're saying. Trying to watch each episode twice to get a full grasp on what's happening.

WOW, is this show beautiful to look at! Some of the scenery is breath-taking. Almost makes me want to get an HD tv.

Last week's episode was pretty good. I was surprised by how some of it played out, as I thought we might have to wait a few more episodes to learn more about Robin's rape. I was intrigued by the turn it took at the end of the episode.

Krystal
Site Admin

April 8th, 2013, 12:12 am #6

Yes, it also makes me want to go there as well. What a terrain! Friends who have been say it is breath taking. I can't imagine the flights though...

tgir
Site Admin

April 8th, 2013, 4:20 am #7

We upgraded our cable and finally get Sundance so I can see the show. I marathoned the first 3, so am almost caught up, I think. Didn't watch the 4th because I wanted to see Mad Men.

Like the show and am glad for the recommendation.

bilki
Site Admin

April 8th, 2013, 4:39 am #8

Are you watching it in HD, tgir? If so, I'm a bit jealous.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts about episode four from both of you.

Krystal
Site Admin

April 8th, 2013, 4:44 am #9

I am watching in HD and the landscape is amazing. Funny to see Moss in both shows now. I like her in both anyhow, and she carries off this one very well.

tgir
Site Admin

April 8th, 2013, 5:03 am #10

No, Sundance isn't in HD in my area, or at least, I haven't found it in HD yet. A few years ago, our tv died and we upgraded to HD then and yes, it is fabulous although it was weird to get used to at first. Hubby likes it for soccer and now wants a giant 60 in tv--which we will NOT be getting unless one of us wins really big in the lottery. House needs far too much to contemplate that plus I only have used/cast off furniture that is decades past its prime in the living room, so: not a priority.

Wanted to say that I continue to be disturbed by the prevalence of rape and especially the rape of young (and it seems ever younger) girls in film, and television shows. I am all too aware of the prevalence in real life but cannot quite get away from the thought that part of the interest in telling these stories in the entertainment media is prurient.