Dax
Site Admin

December 28th, 2015, 7:36 pm #11

http://tvline.com/2015/12/28/x-files-re ... -spoilers/

I'll be interested in watching a 22 minute 'making of' piece AFTER the season, but I don't want a bunch of spoilers beforehand...

Dax
Site Admin

January 8th, 2016, 4:48 am #12

Dax
Site Admin

January 19th, 2016, 10:18 pm #13

Last edited by Dax on January 22nd, 2016, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

January 25th, 2016, 5:06 pm #14

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/68281/ ... eek-video/

I had wanted to love the premiere... I did not. It was really, really bad. I'd read Sepinwall's review and thought 'oh, hopefully he's just being way too hard on it'... no. He was right.

Still excited to see the rest - hope tonight's is better - but this was a terrible re-introduction. I can't imagine Duchovny or Anderson were at all pleased when they received the script.

tgir
Site Admin

January 25th, 2016, 9:23 pm #15

Dax, glad (kinda) to read your take. To me, it wasn't so different than how I felt about it before. Hubby kept exclaiming about how illogical different things were (which I had always done, as well as shout at the tv for stupid stuff they said when it would have been just as easy to actually be scientifically correct without even using more syllables even). That has not stopped him from planning to watch tonight's show, though.

I always liked when they explored creepy crawly weird stuff rather than the conspiracy stuff. Not that I don't love a good conspiracy theory and indulging in a few myself from time to time but...

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 25th, 2016, 9:34 pm #16

Gosh I'm disappointed about the reviews. I haven't watched it yet. I want my husband to watch it with me but he is so quick to judge and doesn't give stuff a chance I will have to warn him.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

tgir
Site Admin

January 25th, 2016, 9:46 pm #17

I think hubby was disappointed. I wasn't. While I genuinely enjoyed X Files during its heyday, I also saw its flaws and inwardly rolled my eyes at a lot of it. But took it all in fun/entertainment. If I had taken it as an attempt at honest discourse about anything remotely scientific (even within the limits/realm of tv) my head would have exploded. Hubby and daughter watched it more faithfully than I did, in the day.

So, if you look at it as entertainment, then I think you can enjoy it. There were a number of things that made my head explode related to how/who/when delivered 'test results' to Scully. I mean really.

Dax
Site Admin

January 25th, 2016, 9:51 pm #18

Yeah.

I wrote this under Sepinwall's post about it http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... s-premiere >> I saw no reason Mulder should have believed anything about O'Malley and Sveta's stories until the demo of the craft in the hanger, and even with that, no proof of Everything We Knew Was Wrong.

I was never a fan of the meandering mythology arc, but I still don't think the best way to get Mulder, Scully, and Skinner working together was by negating much or all of what they'd established up to now. Silly.

-

Before we had the term 'binge watching', X-Files was one of the shows I caught up with that way, after it was five seasons in (also in the same era - Ally McBeal, The Practice, Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel) but before the first movie, as FX was stripping it as a daily, and I was setting my vcr and making tapes...

I didn't like what I saw of the show early on, though my Mom and former-best-friend/pseudo-sister loved it and would watch it together all the time. I would be around for dumb parts, thought Duchovny mumbled a lot, and I resented HOW popular it was, when Twin Peaks was far superior and, you know, burned brightly, briefly, sputtered, and then died.

But at some point, I decided I'd give it a chance... that it was one of those shows I 'should' like... and I did. Mostly. (Thought a lot better of Duchovny after I'd gotten used to him).

There were many fantastic standalone episodes.

I love 'soap', of course, so I looked FORWARD to the mythology episodes, the recurring characters, the conspiracies... but then I'd always be disappointed by them. Carter didn't know what the hell he was doing with the long-form story. It was bad. It frequently didn't make much sense.

So you think that I'd LIKE that he'd hit the 'reset button' on the aliens, and make it a man-made conspiracy instead, but... no. They were way too far down that path - Mulder and Scully saw too much of ____ to go back and say 'maybe I was cleverly manipulated' just because of the really unconvincing scenes with last night's new characters.

Ugh.

But yes, still eager for the rest, and I'll probably root FOR 'more' instead of against it, but... the premiere was awful, and I expect the finale will be, too...

Everything I'm reading about it today says #3 (next Monday) is awesome, a classic, a lot of fun... Excited for that.

-

One of my friends from college (Curtis C.) was in 7.12, 'X-Cops', the funny one that was shot as a parody of Cops... and was written by Vince Gilligan. Cool.
Last edited by Dax on January 25th, 2016, 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dax
Site Admin

January 25th, 2016, 11:22 pm #19

My favorite X-F WTF continuity thing was when Smoking Man shot and killed his son, Jeffrey - in his office at the FBI! - in 6.12 and the show chose not to even ADDRESS it - at all, not even a single mention of the guy - until 9.16 (he wasn't dead, just disfigured, it turned out...).

So when people gave Lost shit about being stingy with 'answers'...

Dax
Site Admin

January 26th, 2016, 6:18 am #20

#2 - Founder's Mutation - by James Wong.

A lot better. That's the show. Weird and creepy things happen. Mulder and Scully shine flashlights around.

Good to see Kacey Rohl (Abigail on Hannibal, Agnes in-the-hospital here), even if it was just one quick scene.

Milo didn't like when Mrs. Goldman threw the apple, but Mulder's "You don't like cats?" was a great line in response to it.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/68539/ ... ully-loss/
Last edited by Dax on January 26th, 2016, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.