The Light is Out...

GLFan1978

September 18th, 2009, 5:06 pm #1

I posted the other day about Alan's death. We get Guiding Light at 9am in Chicago...I am not here to spoil it (because there would be PLENTY to spoil!) but, I wanted to get this thread going on the thoughts of the finale.

I was impressed and not disappointed in one bit. I cried like a baby (I am a man, so, I should probably not admit to that!) because it was just beautifully done and tied up loose ends. It ended...but you can feel it continue in your heart.

This was indeed a generational show. I had looked forward to one day sharing it with my kids, should I be so blessed to have any. While that is not to be, I am thankful I got to watch the show with my mom, and her mom, and have those memories to cherish. My grandma died in 1985 - Guiding Light was really my last remaining non-family link to her.

We will all have memories of the good, and the bad. I am choosing to use today's finale as what Guiding Light will forever be to me.

I am anxious to hear thoughts from all of you, *my* Guiding Light family.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

September 18th, 2009, 6:01 pm #2

Thanks for sharing. I won't see it until 3 EST so I'm trying not to read too much so it won't be totally spoiled.

Our CBS local news carried a cute story at noon on GL. It was a little sad because neither of the news announcers had ever seen the show so they couldn't add much to it.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

JodiLynne

September 18th, 2009, 7:55 pm #3

Good bye GL I will miss you =(

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

September 18th, 2009, 7:58 pm #4

Just saw it. I'm in tears. Goodbye Guiding Light!
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Snapper

September 18th, 2009, 8:01 pm #5

I won't see it until tonight, but thanks for all the updates everyone. GL will be greatly missed.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 18th, 2009, 8:10 pm #6

My first memories of Guiding Light were of Philip, Rick, Beth, and Mindy in high school. I can remember when Reva came to town and baptized herself in the fountain in front of a then wheelchair bound Joshua. Guiding Light has always been my "guilty pleasure" - the soap I watched the most.

While I knew it was the end, what got me the most was the complete black and total silence after the last screen shot with the truck on the road and "The End" scrolled across. I'm so used to hearing, "Next on Guiding Light" right after the show fades to black. Today, silence. Heavy with 72 years of Guiding Light memories.

soapmom

September 18th, 2009, 9:03 pm #7

The Light will be missed by many. I cried like a baby. :rip:

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 18th, 2009, 9:12 pm #8

I've been watching off and on since 1975. I started one summer while staying with my grandmother who watched. Even when I haven't actively been watching I've been keeping up with storylines and always knew I could turn on and see Reva, Josh, Buzz, Beth and in good times Rick and Philip. It was sad to know that after today they will not be there.

I liked the ending which tied up most of the storylines in a way that is fitting the final show. The truck driving off with "the end" being displayed was very sad indeed.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 18th, 2009, 9:24 pm #9

I just watched the last episode of Guiding Light and I have to say that although I'm deeply saddened that the soap has ended, I am surprisingly impressed with the last week.

Had Grant not come back to help close out the show as Phillip, the ending would have never made sense. To see Phillip and Beth together, Rick and Mindy, Frank and Blake, Buzz and Lillian, Ed and Holly, Billy and Vanessa, Alex and Fletcher, Mallet and Dinah, and of course, Josh and Reva - it made things ok. Of course, the fact that there IS still a community in Springfield even leaves the teeniest bit of hope that maybe, just maybe someone can breathe life back into our show. I know, I know ... but a girl can dream, can't she?

Goodbye Guiding Light. :bye1: I remember taking naps as a little girl - listening to the show as mom watched. I remember watching all summer while I was in school and I remember that you were the FIRST show I learned to program on my brand new VHS ... just as you were the FIRST show I set up a season pass for on my TIVO. And THANK YOU to everyone involved in getting Grant back on the show before it went off the air. It just wouldn't have been the same without him.

I wish all of the talented actors from Guiding Light much success should the choose to continue to work, or if they choose to now retire, I wish them the very best as they enjoy their "me" time. I hope each and every one of them know how much they touched my life and the lives of so many.
Last edited by Guest on September 20th, 2009, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 18th, 2009, 9:43 pm #10

I cried like a baby thought the whole show. It was like losing my mom all over again.We watch everyday since I was 4 yrs old. Days i had to go to school (before taping them) I remember coming home from school and grilling her on that days happening. To each actor thank you for all the wonderful work that you did to make us enjoy the Best Soap that was ever on.