lexilou
Elite Members

September 19th, 2009, 12:57 am #21

I feel so satisifed and sad at the same time. Everyone is where they should be and I got to see PAS one more time :hearts: I think it was very fitting Josh and Reva closed the show and her last word was "always".

katinka

September 19th, 2009, 1:18 am #22

I, like so many of us here, grew up watching The Guiding Light with my mother and my grandmother. I was on a business trip Monday to Thursday this week, but my hubby DVR'd the shows. I got up extra early and watched....and cried....and enjoyed the bittersweet way the ends were all tied together. I thought also that Jeffrey didn't have closure, but in my mind he and Edmund offed each other.

My eyes are still red and swollen from crying. I will watch it again tomorrow and cry again I'm sure.

RIP GL. Thanks to the cast and crew and production team for being a part of the fabric of my life.

Do what you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind! Dr. Seuss

2buddy4u
Site Admin

September 19th, 2009, 3:45 am #23

I'm so glad that we got a Josh/Reva reunion, it wouldn't have felt right without it. I was also glad Bill mentioned Ben to Fletcher.
So sad to see the end of such great memories that have been a constant in the lives of so many. :bye1:

amy76791

September 19th, 2009, 4:37 am #24

jbrr1212 wrote:I loved most of the show. The opening of the openings was very cool. Wish we would have gotten something out of character at the end just for the cast to say goodbye but otherwise I enjoyed it. Any know why Maeve Kinkead (Vanessa) wasnt in the final eppy?
was wondering that myself......it would have been nice to see her with the family in the last episode.

Lighthouse

September 19th, 2009, 6:50 am #25

What an AWESOME Finale! I feel joy and sadness at the same time. Perfect, beautiful ending. GL will Always be in my heart.

GLFan1978

September 19th, 2009, 1:46 pm #26

I was wondering about Vanessa, too...but because of the show overall, I didn't think of it until after! I will just assume she was at the park with everyone as well. :)

I think there was closure with Jeffrey, at least in my opinion, on Thursday. I think the idea we are to believe that Jeffrey will spend his days chasing Edmund. But I think Edmund was right about Jeffrey loving the thrill and danger of it - that it means more to him than anything else...more than his wife and child, even.

Anyway - I just loved it. I have watched it two times now (the boyfriend had to watch it when he got home) and have cried both times. And lucky me, I get to do it all over again when my mom comes over today. Why do I torture myself?! Then I made the mistake of youtube'ing old GL scenes. Yeah, that was hard!

I will always love this show. Always.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 19th, 2009, 3:24 pm #27

GLFan1978 wrote:I posted the other day about Alan's death. We get Guiding Light at 9am in Chicago...I am not here to spoil it (because there would be PLENTY to spoil!) but, I wanted to get this thread going on the thoughts of the finale.

I was impressed and not disappointed in one bit. I cried like a baby (I am a man, so, I should probably not admit to that!) because it was just beautifully done and tied up loose ends. It ended...but you can feel it continue in your heart.

This was indeed a generational show. I had looked forward to one day sharing it with my kids, should I be so blessed to have any. While that is not to be, I am thankful I got to watch the show with my mom, and her mom, and have those memories to cherish. My grandma died in 1985 - Guiding Light was really my last remaining non-family link to her.

We will all have memories of the good, and the bad. I am choosing to use today's finale as what Guiding Light will forever be to me.

I am anxious to hear thoughts from all of you, *my* Guiding Light family.
There was one loose end that I wish they would have tied up and that was what happened to Jeffrey and Edmund. I did like that the last line was 'Always' and Reva and Josh driving off together.

failsafe

September 28th, 2009, 6:39 pm #28

I didn't understand what was up w/ Dinah and Mallet in the church...it seemed like they were looking for someone. I was waiting for the camera to pull back and show Jeffrey & Edmund getting married or something. LOL I'm sure it sucked for Jeff fans, but for me, having him NOT be part of the final episode was the BEST. THING. EVER.

Everything was wrapped up very well, and I agree that if GA wouldn't have come back the whole thing would have fallen flat.

Like I mentioned before - I got to watch all this from my parents' home. I'm going to be selling it soon and the fact that it all kind of dovetailed together just confirmed that even though GL is gone it's still a part of my life. You just know that Sarah, Francesca, Robbie and all the other Springfield kidlets are going to grow up and still be going through the same trials and traumas, even if we don't see it.

lexilou
Elite Members

September 28th, 2009, 9:44 pm #29

I think Dinah and Mallet were living vicariously through others regarding weddings. Maybe they are on the run together or traveling with his job and she just likes weddings, particularly since she can't have the big white wedding since they are moving around. That's my take on it.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 29th, 2009, 5:19 am #30

I actually watched the next to last epi, but still have some of the last week as well as the finale saved. I know what happened, and I will cry for sure when I finally sit down and see the last show. If they had only written the show like the last 2 weeks were written, it would still be on.

That show spanned 3 generations for me too, and even though my grandmother would have been horrified what had become of "her story" I think she would have still enjoyed the last 2 weeks.