The Hunger Games

Jenni
Site Admin

March 24th, 2012, 3:29 am #1

I didn't see a thread for this so thought I'd start one. We just got back from seeing it. It was awesome! It stayed very true to the book with only a few changes that won't affect the "big" story. There were also some added scenes that added tremendously to the story. Before the lights came back on, my 12 yr old daughter asked, "can we buy the Blu Ray as soon as it comes out???" She's read all of the books and also loved it!

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

March 24th, 2012, 1:07 pm #2

I'm excited to see it but will probably wait a couple of weeks until the crowd starts to die down. I can't wait. Thanks jcluckey for the update. :)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Krystal
Site Admin

March 24th, 2012, 7:06 pm #3

NY Times didn't like it much, but then they are critical of most everything. Local paper liked it a lot more. I'll see it of course, when it is rentable!

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 24th, 2012, 9:19 pm #4

I'll get a range of views once my students and colleagues see it. I did read a so-so review from TWoP which focused on my biggest fear: the attempt to 'pack in' the book's events with a 'checklist' sort of inevitability. JC did you get the sense the movie packs the power of the books in its own way? I'm also reading it was watered down a LOT to avoid the R rating and so keep the young teen audience in play.

iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

March 24th, 2012, 10:20 pm #5

I read about 1/3 of the first book and could not get into it so I gave it to someone. I will see the movie, but like Tatoo, no way you can get all of a complex book into a movie. (For instance they left out the romance with the Vanger woman in both versions of DT). Good point about your students, I am sure they'll be out to see it in a flash.

I am really looking forward to Prometheus...

Jenni
Site Admin

March 25th, 2012, 12:14 am #6

I thought it held it's own. I typically don't like movies based on books. I had a hard time with a lot of the Harry Potter movies because of some of the story-lines I thought they changed (not for the better.) I actually liked how they down played some of the more intense scenes. I didn't want to watch a slasher movie. For instance:
[+] Spoiler
When Rue is impaled by the spear, it shows it. The spear sticking out, blood on her shirt the whole 9 yards.
They did add a few things but I think they worked it in very nicely. Some of the information that Katniss just thought, they played out.
[+] Spoiler
They showed the scene where her father died as a memory. They showed the Gamemakers making decisions, dialogue between Seneca Crane and President Snow, and the interviewer (Claudius ????) doing a play by play, explaining what the cannons meant, etc.
Obviously you can't squeeze everything in and I think they did a great job of altering what they did. I would pay to go see it again and will definitely buy the movie when it comes out.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 25th, 2012, 10:41 pm #7

That sounds good jc. I'm hoping to see it this weekend...
iii
iii
iii

tgir
Site Admin

March 25th, 2012, 10:52 pm #8

Well, my son just dropped out of going with me, so now I'm just going to pick a time I think the show won't be too crowded. As it is, the opening night of Hunger Games set a record for number of seats sold in my town, beating out the last Harry Potter or any of the Twilight Saga.

blosslover
Site Admin

March 26th, 2012, 12:49 am #9

Wow that's amazing. I figure I'll go next weekend or the week after when the furor calms a bit. :)

tgir
Site Admin

March 26th, 2012, 11:41 pm #10

OK, just got back from seeing Hunger Games. I am lucky that my work schedule gives me Mondays off, so not only did I get in, but I got in during a matinee (cheap tix, or relatively so).

They did a pretty good job. Some things were condensed and a bit sanitized. I understand why. On the other hand, they expanded so that you could see the behind the scenes machinations of the hunger games, which was very useful to explain background that otherwise you would not get. Well incorporated and well done--actually rather cool. The way they depicted the Capitol was very good. Honestly, terrific.

I am editing this to put in a warning that there is something rather spoilerish about my critique--not really, but in case anybody wants to be 'pure' stop reading

NOW

SPOILERISH

Don't read if you wish to be completely spoiler freee

Last Warning

What I thought was missing was the overwhelming sense of terror and misery. They were trying to avoid an R rating so that the young adults who comprise a great portion of the fanbase of the novels would not be shut out. I understand that and concur. They avoided showing a lot of actual killing, at least in a very graphic way. But the atmosphere was sort of cleaned up/made more bland.

Jennifer Lawrence was terrific, as was Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci, Wes Bently, and Elizabeth Banks was absolutely unrecognizeable --but fabulous--as Effie. No quibbles at all about the casting.

There has been press about how Jennifer Lawrence did not look starved enough to play Katniss. In fact, Jennifer Lawrence is a beautiful young woman who looks strong and healthy--actually a perfect body. Part of me actually would have used this same quibble with Lawrence when she played Ree in Winter's Bone. I would have expected more gauntness to her and she is not gaunt, but rounded in her cheeks. For the role of Katniss, what was required was a sense of someone who was physically strong and capable: lithe and fleet of foot, a good woodsman---and strong enough to physically help Peeta when he was wounded. A starved looking actress would not have pulled that off at well.

Lawrence was superb at conveying absolute terror. Still the way that the film was shot pulled back a bit from the strong feelings and stayed on the surface. I get that they wanted to keep the rating below R but I think this was the only real miss. Of course, one could always quibble with ways that the film deviates from the book but in any meaningful way, it was quite true.
Last edited by tgir on March 26th, 2012, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.