The Good Fight

Dax
Site Admin

November 18th, 2016, 10:27 pm #1

The Good Wife ran seven seasons from 2009 to 2016. It was often a very good show, especially considering it was on CBS, which usually likes its shows to be cookie-cutter procedurals. Oh, it frustrated fans quite a bit there towards the end, but... it often had smart writing, great performances, and strong characters.

A spin-off starts in February, but only the first episode will be aired on the broadcast network. The next nine episodes will be on their subscription service, CBS All-Access.

Christine Baranski played Diane Lockhart in all seven seasons of TGW. Cush Jumbo's Lucca Quinn was a Season 7 cast addition. Sarah Steele recurred as Marissa Gold in 22 episodes (after being introduced in 2.15).

Others from TGW that will be making appearances are Gary Cole (Diane's husband, Kurt), Zach Grenier (David Lee), Jerry Adler (Howard Lyman), and Michael Boatman (Julius Cain). More haven't been announced, but I expect it's very likely we'll see Alan Cumming (Eli, Marissa's father) at some point, and... there were a number of recurring attorneys and judges (and clients?) that I'll bet they'll use again.

Newcomers are Rose Leslie (Ygritte on Game of Thrones) as Diane's goddaughter Maia, Delroy Lindo, Erica Tazel (Rachel on Justified), and Justin Bartha. Paul Guilfoyle and Bernadette Peters will be recurring as Maia's parents.

The logline -- It's one year later, and Diane is forced out of Lockhart & Lee after an enormous financial scam destroys the reputation of her goddaughter Maia and Diane's savings, leading them to join Lucca Quinn at one of Chicago’s pre-eminent law firms.

(Okay, except we left off with Lucca at L/L WITH Diane...)
Last edited by Dax on December 21st, 2016, 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dax
Site Admin

December 16th, 2016, 10:03 pm #2

Dax
Site Admin

February 20th, 2017, 5:35 am #3

It's that show I like, except now it's without Julianna Margulies and the characters can say 'fuck' and CBS is charging for it...

Strong pilot.

Still bothers me that Kurt cheated on Diane with that little twit, and in the one last year where it was disclosed, the timeline was super-fuzzy (I swear it sounded like it had to have happened before they were even a serious couple...). Anyway, they've been separated for the last year, but Kurt doesn't want a divorce.

The firm's merge with two others - EIGHT name partners - was very funny, as was Diane getting a little taste of her own medicine on the 'exit package already accepted' thing...

Fine first impressions of Barbara and Adrian. And I looooooove Maia...

They didn't say when exactly Lucca left Diane's firm, but she joined Reddick & Boseman four months ago. No mention of Alicia's whereabouts except to say that she didn't join Lucca at this new place.

Opening shot of Diane watching the inauguration... yeah. (They did have to do a last minute re-write... originally... well, you know..)

Christine Baranski -- Diane Lockhart
Rose Leslie -- Maia Rindell
Erica Tazel -- Barbara Kolstad
Sarah Steele -- Marissa Gold (not in #1)
Justin Bartha -- Colin Morrello (not in #1)
with Cush Jumbo -- Lucca Quinn
and Delroy Lindo -- Adrian Boseman

Gary Cole (Kurt McVeigh) gets the 'Special Guest Star' credit.
Jerry Adler (Howard Lyman) and Zach Grenier (David Lee) in #1.

I'll look forward to seeing 2-10 'somehow', someday, but I'm not subscribing to CBS All-Access.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/the-good-fi ... 201915977/
Last edited by Dax on February 20th, 2017, 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

tgir
Site Admin

February 21st, 2017, 4:31 am #4

It's good that Christine Baranski has work but I'm not going to even attempt to figure out how I can view the show. IMO, I already pay for cable in order to be able to see...anything. I am not paying more money to see something on CBS. Even for Christine Baranski.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 21st, 2017, 4:46 am #5

TGIR, ITA.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

February 21st, 2017, 1:18 pm #6

Yeah I'm not paying. I'm pissed about it. I am hoping it comes to Netflix or Amazon Prime. Not sure if that will be an 'option' but one can hope.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Dax
Site Admin

February 21st, 2017, 6:23 pm #7

It won't go to Netflix, Amazon Prime, or hulu. CBS seems committed to trying this, but yes, I think they're going to need more than 2 or 3 original shows to get a lot of people interested...

There will likely be a dvd release.

I'm going to wait 'til after #10 comes out, then do the free trial thing and do a binge over a day or two, and then cancel (or 'one month' over the summer while BB is on, maybe...).

Krystal
Site Admin

February 21st, 2017, 6:49 pm #8

Yeah well bullshit on them. I was able to record the first one but I don't think I'm even going to watch it if you have to pay to watch the rest there are many more shows I'd rather pay to watch.

Dax
Site Admin

February 21st, 2017, 8:25 pm #9

The first one was fun. Worth watching if you ever liked the old show.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

February 21st, 2017, 10:08 pm #10

I'm not planning on watching but CBS All Access offers all kinds of free trials so yeah for those who want to watch just wait til they are all available and binge them then cancel like Dax said. The subscribe/cancel process is super easy so shouldnt be any issue there.