Cheryl
Elite Members

November 4th, 2010, 1:08 pm #21

Interviews with some of the people at the Stewart rally. I like this kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02KvD4DvX9c

He has received a lot of criticism from his coverage of the things like the Glenn Beck rally and other conservative gatherings but it's nice to see that he is unbiased in his reporting. At least the people from the Jon Stewart one while not all that informed, didn't seem so wacky and were willing to "agree to disagree".

I found the ones from the Beck rally to be rather delusional. Especially the ones that said Beck never called Obama a racist. Check out YouTube, people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8PmEjxUfg

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 26th, 2012, 6:26 pm #22

We were in NYC a couple of weeks before Christmas and saw the tapings of The Daily Show one day and The Colbert Report the next day.

Here is a link to the Colbert Report's taping that we saw with a
Sign Off - Michael Stipe & Mandy Patinkin - "Good King Wenceslas" ... It took 4 tapings to get it right and they still ended up using the original. It was fabulous!

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... d_facebook
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 26th, 2012, 8:13 pm #23

So how exciting was it to be there?

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 26th, 2012, 8:45 pm #24

It was very exciting!

The Daily Show - We got tickets online but they aren't guaranteed so I ready online you have to get there early. They hand out 'real' tickets at 2:30 and we got there around noon. We were number 2 & 3 in line. We met a great group while hanging out. There was a group of ladies in their 60's who cracked me up while waiting for Jon Stewart to arrive. He actually snuck in without us seeing him but we did see Aasif Mandvi get out of a taxi and skirt on in the side entrance. After we got our tickets we went for dinner/drinks around the corner and had to be back for 4:30. Then we went through security into a very little shabby room and waited to be let into the studio. We were seated in the VIP section because we were so early but to be honest with you everyone got in and the stand-byes who walked in at the last minute got front row center. I was shocked how small the studio was and how unglamorous it looked. Definitely the miracle of television was outstanding. We had a warm up comedian who was fun and then we had lessons on how to laugh. They use our laughter and we had to practice being really loud. I can actually hear my AWESOME laugh during playback. Jon came out and chatted with us. He is exactly like he is on TV. He was fun and very nice to the audience. I guess the biggest shock was seeing how small Jon's desk is. Again the magic of TV but his desk was small. It looked like a kids size desk. So it was really fun. Jason Jones and Aasif Mandvi came in and did their bit in front of the green screen. Again the studio is so small but the magic of TV you would never know that they were standing right next to Jon. Laura Linney was the guest and she was great. She was very made up but I don't think you could tell on TV. She's also super skinny. Jon did the show straight through with no mistakes. It was actually impressive. Afterwards he came out and took a couple of more questions and thanked us.

The Colbert Report - We had gotten tickets to Colbert for the next day and decided to give it a try. We also decided that we weren't going to wait all day in line and go in at the last minute. Well it really paid off. We got in line and were # 53-54 out of 150. We were let right in to the holding area where we waiting 1 1/2 to go in the studio ... typical. Then we went into Stephen's studio. This time we were center 3/4 of the way up. Great seats. Everyone got a free Colbert TV shirt. I'll post a pic of it later. The Colbert Studio was smaller than Daily Show ... at least the seating but it was newer and that made a difference. It was also funny to see how awesome it looks on TV but in real life it's just eh. The studio was all decked out for Christmas shows so that was awesome. We had a warm up comedian who was funny but didn't have to practice out laughing ... thank God. They still used our laughter but we didn't have to sit through painful rehearsals. Before we went in the interns told us that this is the time to ask Stephen real questions because he will be 'out of character which he doesn't even do for congress'. Well everyone just looked at the intern with a blank face and she said 'You do know that he plays a character, right". I was dying of laughter. So Stephen came out and talked to us. He was very cute as the 'real' Stephen. Just a very nice man. Then his show started and he made a mistake right off the bat and had to start over. He was cracking us up because he couldn't keep a straight face and had to keep restarting. That made the audience go crazy with laughter and it took FOREVER (which was totally awesome) to get through the skits. During the breaks Stephen would good with us which was great. Jon didn't do that. The guest was Mandy Patinkin from Homeland. Oh boy was that interesting. Mandy seems t have some serious political views on terrorist and the interview went long and was actually a little bit uncomfortable. Stephen was trying to let the TV audience and us know that Mandy didn't support terrorist and loved America ... that's how strange things got. Hubby and I were wondering how they would edit if for TV. We thing they did a god job but again it was a very strange interview and so much so that Stephen didn't say much during the whole thing.

OK so after Mandy they told us not to leave that they had a special surprise and that is when they did the taping for the end of the show Sign Off - Michael Stipe & Mandy Patinkin - "Good King Wenceslas". It was great and again we were laughing so hard and so was Stephen that it took forever to complete. Then after the show which ran REALLY long for taping Stephen came out and took a couple of more questions.

So all in all The Colbert Report was a lot better because it was more fun and a lot longer with more interaction with Stephen then with Jon.

I would do it again but probably just for The Colbert Report because it as so much easier to get in and more comfortable waiting environment. ;)
Last edited by Gatekeeper on December 26th, 2012, 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 26th, 2012, 11:01 pm #25

Thanks for posting that Gate, it was very interesting. I like them both but think I would see Colbert if I had the choice between the 2. I have been to a lot of live theater but the only celeb show I have seen Is Oprah a couple times. My hsb's firm used to get tickets for some reason. There was a lot of security, metal detectors etc. with that one. It was a fairly comfy studio but we had someone come out and teach us to yell and scream for Oprah, which I thought was dumb.

So was Patinkin too wierd? I never liked him much.

Great you could get seats for Colbert without making it a day, there is too much to do in NYC to wait around. But it sounds like you had a great time.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 27th, 2012, 1:08 am #26

Krystal wrote:Thanks for posting that Gate, it was very interesting. I like them both but think I would see Colbert if I had the choice between the 2. I have been to a lot of live theater but the only celeb show I have seen Is Oprah a couple times. My hsb's firm used to get tickets for some reason. There was a lot of security, metal detectors etc. with that one. It was a fairly comfy studio but we had someone come out and teach us to yell and scream for Oprah, which I thought was dumb.

So was Patinkin too wierd? I never liked him much.

Great you could get seats for Colbert without making it a day, there is too much to do in NYC to wait around. But it sounds like you had a great time.
Security was very tight. They took a lot of purses and all nap sacks away and you had to collect them after the show. Luckily I just had stuff in my pockets so it was cool. They had metal detectors and searched everything. No cell phones allowed to be on. You take it out and they take it from you. LOL ... I really wanted to take pics of the studio but I like my iPhone too much to chance it and I did see a lady get hers taken away.

Patinkin was very strongly opinionated about US terrorism. In a nut shell he implied it was our fault for the acts of terrorism against us. It was kind of weird being a Christmas setting and talking seriously about terrorism. Also Stephen didn't know what to do with his serious demeanor which I found weird because when you see Stephen on TV he is always interjecting with a funny jabs but during the taping there wasn't much of that at all. The interview lasted a good 10 minutes but they cut out a good chunk of it. I was actually really curious how they were going to edit the interview but they did a good job.

Since we had been to NYC a 100 times and I use to live there I was OK waiting for 1/2 a day to see The Daily Show BUT I wouldn't do it if it was my only trip there.

We will be going back to the city in April but we won't be able to go see a show. You can go only once per 6 months so I guess it will be Yankees and back to Broadway. ;)

blosslover
Site Admin

December 27th, 2012, 1:45 am #27

That sounds great, and good to know that Colbert was more fun. :) Looking forward to seeing your new shirt. So they took phones argh, were there any other weird rules?
Last edited by blosslover on December 27th, 2012, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

December 27th, 2012, 2:39 am #28

I made sure I watched both episodes on-demand that you were in the audience for...

Ooh, free Colbert shirt... cool.

The Patinkin interview was a little odd, yes.

I've been to two or three Leno tapings, a Hollywood Squares once, and a Last Comic Standing semi-finals round. Think that's it.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 27th, 2012, 1:23 pm #29

Here is the shirt. B-)

colbert_shirt.jpg
Last edited by Gatekeeper on December 27th, 2012, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 27th, 2012, 1:26 pm #30

Dax wrote:I made sure I watched both episodes on-demand that you were in the audience for...
Did you hear me laugh? I was the loud one. ;)

Bloss, security was tight but nothing too cray-cray. The security guys looked like secret service and didn't have a sense of humor at all. You had to show your driver license etc. Very similar to airport security except you didn't have to take your shoes off. :D Absolutely no cameras or recording. They also asked us not to ask for hugs, kisses, etc. You couldn't get out of your seat for any reason once in the studio.