The Americans

Krystal
Site Admin

March 10th, 2017, 4:52 am #1

Is this the last season? I'm always a little confused when the show returns after such a long hiatus. Are they living in a separate house now and who is this kid they are living with? I know they always have another place but this seems to be a separate home along with the kid so I don't understand the purpose of that are they trying to turn the neighbor's kid or what?

I also didn't quite understand why they were digging up Williams body to get that sample. I don't understand why the body wasn't cremated because even if there is an Airborne virus if it were handled right within Elation cremation would be by far the safest way of getting rid of it. The other thing I don't understand is if you have a bacteria or a virus it does not continue to live in your body if it kills you it dies along with you. I'm not sure what type of disease this was supposed to be and I don't recall from last year.

How they resolve the relationship between page and Stan son and ongoing interest also the fact that Philip son is heading for the USA

Dax
Site Admin

March 10th, 2017, 4:55 am #2

Haven't watched the premiere yet.

There will be one more season after this.

Krystal
Site Admin

March 10th, 2017, 5:09 am #3

The one thing that has bothered me for a long time about this show is the children. How can you knowingly take your children from the place where they can be educated free and have plenty of food to A Place With No freedom hardly any food and such a terrible standard of living. The children are Americans born here and they do not understand the Russian culture nor do they understand the language. It seems to me extremely cruel to try to relocate this family which seems to be the ultimate goal of Philip here. Who would be so selfish as to do that to their children. I am not even anybody's parent but I can't imagine it.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 11th, 2017, 9:46 pm #4

It was a slow start, as usual, and deliberate

The Vietnamese kid is a superspy I guess even at his age. He runs the house when parental units aren't on call for spy duty assignment connected with Pasha's family, I guess. They commented briefly how he handles the fact that Elizabeth and Philip are always gone due to airline jobs. Gonna check out other sites and see what they think of this plot development. Seems too OTT.

Krystal, maybe burning was too risky in the 80s? Another thing to fact check. Though I do note that many seemingly unrealistic events are based on real history. Truth is stranger than fiction category maybe?
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

March 12th, 2017, 1:43 pm #5

That was a cool moment when they opened the metal box to see dead William, as if they were looking their own future in the face. All of the hard work and sacrifice that could very likely end in a death of no fanfare. I wonder what that internal dialogue was like, lol.

"Those two aren't afraid of anything/They're afraid of everything" was amusing.

All of the hand-wringing over Paige and Matthew is a bit groan-worthy because I feel like we've already played this Will-They-Be-Exposed??? game with Paige and the Pastor.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 12th, 2017, 3:27 pm #6

I think the Paige and Matthew plot is a little different from the pastor story. This is more about what Paige will ultimately WANT. not what she feels compelled to do (protect her family). The pastor stuff was an "intellectual" internal debate... maybe a bit spiritual too, though they didn't show that struggle in Paige overtly. I think this is gonna be more visceral. If she really has feelings for M, and begins to realize she cares about her lifestyle in America, and begins to see the blindspots her parents have about the Americans AND the Soviets... It's interesting to me that Elizabeth is beginning her physical training at the same time.

I know there are (and really were) American agents who supported the soviet cause... but they were almost always against something (racism, e.g.) within American culture and so ignored, overlooked, or accepted the cost of the commitment to the soviet vision. Nothing yet has made me believe that Paige has anything deeply invested in the Soviets. There's some spec that the son might actually be the one who goes there, but he's never much on...
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

March 12th, 2017, 10:34 pm #7

I see what you're saying, KMI. Perhaps I'm looking at from a more superficial angle, where Paige's involvement with Matthew becomes another tease for whether P&E's cover will be exposed. Not that it's the writer's fault but that's basically all that I came away with from the Pastor's story. Will Paige reveal the secret and what happens if she does? I think I did enjoy the element of whether P&E could actually kill him if they had to, and how they might cover that up, but I suppose I'm not all that invested in Paige's inner struggle.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 14th, 2017, 8:37 pm #8

You're right, that a major element of every story is whether they will be compromised or exposed, so that is an overt focus.

I think the weird thing that bugs me is how the whole decision or assignment to go back to the USSR for the Jennings family was off screen and past history already. I thought that might have produced some good character exploration and discussion, but I guess they decided that's too soon, given the renewal for the final 6th season. Maybe they were anticipating being done in 5?
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

March 15th, 2017, 12:28 am #9

Alan Sepinwall mentioned how the show dropped the return to Russia in his review of the episode but I don't recall much of anything that happened after they shipped Poor Martha off. I'm glad I didn't re-watch last season's finale, because it probably would have just pissed me off. I guess having a foggy memory can be a friend at times, lol.

It feels like another weapon in my arsenal about how the show can be good at the build-up but they're pretty lousy at satisfying pay-offs. I've been trying to recall one good climax over the past few days and can't recall a single one. That sounds like a personal problem. Wrong thread, lol.

Krystal
Site Admin

March 24th, 2017, 4:39 am #10

This last epi was total bull shit. If the American government wanted to destroy the crops in Russia even in the seventies they would have had more security then some stupid Warehouse with nobody guarding it and one guy coming in the middle of the night to check on it.

It was interesting seeing Martha in the grocery store and I wonder if she will interact with Oleg.