The Americans

Dax
Site Admin

March 14th, 2016, 4:48 pm #1

bilki
Site Admin

March 15th, 2016, 1:32 am #2

Thanks for the reminder! I'm not excited for this new season but I am going to give the show a chance to win me back....not that it gives a damn whether I watch it or not.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 15th, 2016, 10:05 am #3

Yeah I am a little wary of watching "The Paige Show."
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

March 18th, 2016, 2:49 am #4

I like Dylan Baker... Glad he's in (and as a regular, too..).

Krystal
Site Admin

March 18th, 2016, 2:44 pm #5

Yes supposed to be more about the daughter. We'll see how that goes.

bilki
Site Admin

March 19th, 2016, 3:31 am #6

I thought it was odd that we're just now seeing Philip struggle with killing that kid when he was young. It seems like something that would have been tormenting long before now.

The tension between Tatiana and Arkady was fun. Loved him knocking at the door and demanding she let him in.

It will be funny if somehow Martha ends up the 'hero' in all of this. She learns of a new horror about the man she believes to be her husband and goes right back to stealing secrets for him.

Dax
Site Admin

March 19th, 2016, 4:17 am #7

Might not have been tormenting him so much... But after child-like Gene, it's all come back to him...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 19th, 2016, 2:31 pm #8

I actually like how his character has been developing over time, mostly. He has always been conflicted moreso that Elizabeth, and between thinking Paige might be recruited, and Gene, I think he's got PTSD type trauma finally surfacing. It can be dormant for decades.

I see this all the time with middle school kids, who were borderline this-n-that (like ADD) but then cross over the line when the hormones and stress hit. Lots of time people can cope with a lot - like the camel and the straws - and then.....one more thing happens.

I was actually pleased Paige went to the pastor. I was really hoping she didn't become some mini-mom super spy all of the sudden. It makes sense to me that she will be conflicted by her parents' lives, but in fact lean HEAVILY towards acceptance of the culture she has been raised in. Research consistently shows that parents and teachers are much further down on the list when it comes to teen influence. It's all about the peers and the culture from 12-20. In fact, Phillip and Elizabeth did their jobs too well assimilating. Paige would be riper for recruitment if she felt alienated and lonely and angry. :P

I also really liked the stuff with Martha, and the stuff with the residentura.

The plots with the scientist and Nina bores me, but everything else is working and I enjoyed the premiere.

I forget...they are NOT working her real life pregnancy into the show, right? (So weird to me for some reason that she and Matthew Rhys are a couple IRL.)

Good 'new season' article: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... -americans
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Krystal
Site Admin

March 25th, 2016, 7:15 pm #9

I thought the show was off to a decent start. The longer I watch the more I feel bad for Stan and Martha. I can't recall why Philip is going to those est sessions. Pretty funny when Stan roughed him up in the meantime he has this bacterial weapon in his jacket. What they were saying about both sides continuing to work on bacterial weapons with absolutely true according to my microbiology professor.

Dax
Site Admin

March 25th, 2016, 7:25 pm #10

Phillip initially went to a couple EST sessions with Stan, just tagging along with him... He continued because he was maybe sorta kinda getting something out of it (as silly as it all seems...).