bilki
Site Admin

April 28th, 2016, 4:39 am #41

This show is so good at building up to anti-climatic moments that I'm no longer convinced that I'll experience a fully satisfying resolution. While I was hoping for the FBI to find Martha first, I realized it wouldn't happen because that would be much more exciting than her being shipped off to Russia.

And, shipping Martha off to a lonely life in Russia made me hate Philip and Elizabeth more than when Elizabeth made the old woman eat all of her heart pills last season.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

April 29th, 2016, 2:59 pm #42

I was thinking Elizabeth was going to kill Martha. I still don't think Martha will make it to Russia. I think she will end up floating with the fishes somewhere.

I am really enjoying this season. LOL ... Loved the rat in a jar and then putting it in the freezer. Sweet!
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Krystal
Site Admin

April 29th, 2016, 3:49 pm #43

I kept hoping she wouldn't go to a public place and ask the police to call the FBI. I'm not sure she will make it to rush it either but that would be cruel to us fans to kill off Nina and her as well. I also thought Elizabeth might just kill her right there.

I really hate Elizabeth. I am hoping that in the series finale that Philip turns Elizabeth in in order to save himself and the rest of the family.

blosslover
Site Admin

April 29th, 2016, 6:13 pm #44

I just wonder how many more seasons "The Americans" can go with the deaths of certain characters. Do you think they are going to do a reboot of some nature?

KMInfinity
Site Admin

April 29th, 2016, 10:59 pm #45

I originally read (after S3?) they only intended to do five seasons and had their plans developed accordingly. I'll check PTV and see if that's a plan...

This one was slow for me, for some reason I didn't think Martha would be killed at all. How did the FBI eavesdrop on her call to her parents, but not hear the call to Phillip/the call drop center?
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

April 30th, 2016, 11:02 am #46

KMInfinity wrote: How did the FBI eavesdrop on her call to her parents, but not hear the call to Phillip/the call drop center?
I figured they 'tapped' into her parents line knowing she may call. They don't know the call drop center phone number. She is doing them all from payphones so that is the only thing that make sense.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

April 30th, 2016, 2:25 pm #47

Ah, that does make sense. Thanks!

Paranoia strikes deep.... :D
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

April 30th, 2016, 4:11 pm #48

KMInfinity wrote:Ah, that does make sense. Thanks!

Paranoia strikes deep.... :D
LOL! One of the things I like about this show it was before the time of cell phones, internet, NSA (as we know it). It kind of makes it fun to watch them struggle with the technology they have available. ;)

Krystal
Site Admin

April 30th, 2016, 6:00 pm #49

Yes as much as I hate the internet and cell phone sometimes I can't imagine having to look for a payphone to call somebody in an emergency.

The other thing to think about is how women were rarely in positions of authority in those days. Martha considered her life a failure because she wasn't married. She had a good job but she would never be an agent she would continue to be a secretary.

One of the issues I have with the show is Keri Russell as a Russian agent. Especially a Russian agent who can beat up guys. Russell looks nothing like any of the Russian people I knew in that time and I knew hundreds because our church was Russian Orthodox. And as far as the martial arts business that is a complete fabrication as well. Did she learn it when she was a teenager or what and where does she practice it? In order to maintain proficiency in the Arts you have to go several times a week and practice. So I find this little snip of a girl who looks like a total Presbyterian to be completely unrealistic for the role. In the meantime the people the residence and even Nina look completely realistic. The actor who plays Philip could pass maybe.
Last edited by Krystal on June 20th, 2016, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 7th, 2016, 12:40 am #50

It was sad to see Martha go but better than a bullet to the brain like for Nina. Perhaps Martha will be considered a hot chick in Russia and considered a hero for what you did so perhaps there is a decent ending for her. At least one could hope.

So Paige is finding out what it means to be a spy and it's not so great. I wonder what will happen to the minister and his wife.