KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 15th, 2016, 11:07 pm #51

Sucky ending, imo. Adam goes on the list with bob and Fabio. Bleah.

Of the final four, I would have rather AnYONE other than Adam win.
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

December 16th, 2016, 12:16 am #52

wrote:Of the final four, I would have rather AnYONE other than Adam win.
Any thoughts or feelings about his edit?

Lots of David love over at the other place. Ken was smart to vote him off, though it didn't help his game in any way. It would have been nice if Ken would have rather had David beat him than Adam. Oh well.

It's funny to see all the bitching and moaning about returning players people don't want to see again. I don't remember if I disliked Tony but he's rather unpopular so it seems safe to assume I wasn't a fan. I don't know why Sandra is given another chance at it.
Last edited by bilki on December 16th, 2016, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 16th, 2016, 3:09 am #53

Sandra's being given the chance to be a three time winner. I actually suspect that some of them are at the point they get paid a big stipend and are "guaranteed to get off early." I dunno though, survivor is much more competitive than BB.
wrote:Adam - Any thoughts or feelings about his edit?
Yeah, general consensus is his edit sucked a LOT. Because he didn't give them much to work with. He actually got a LOT of NSPV, which is unusual for a winner, especially midgame. He also contradicted himself or was "wrong" on a lot of things (says something, proven wrong by the action or event), and at the final TC it was actually brought up how often he was on the wrong side of the vote - the person he voted for was NOT booted that episode. It's also pretty clear now that Hannah's edit was deliberately sandbagged, meaning her good moments not shown or downplayed (or just enough to make her story make sense) while her bad moments highlighted, in order to make sure she wasn't seen as a deserving winner against Adam. The general consensus is that his "story" was such a great plot (gag) that they didn't need to work hard to build up his game skills, or hide his flaws much.

The edgic folks are busy trying to find out where they went wrong in analysis - was Adam's edit "unique" and needs a template developed as a possible future winner type...or did they miss clues? One big one, I think, is that edgic's mantra is that the clues to the game's finish are in the PREMERGE episodes. Adam was the only person premerge to explain WHY he wanted to win so much in a confessional. Everyone else was (edited as) only discussing what they would learn, or wanting to get farther. Even David never directly discussed his goal as winning the game (or probably did and it wasn't shown) but instead was always focused on the next move, the next TC. That's not the winner edit.

The truth is that Adam won due to a lot of luck, Ken's voting off David, and Zeke's bitter campaign in the jury to taint hannah. he apparently worked really hard to badmouth her, so much so that the Game Changer crew supposedly have been sequestered individually rather than going to Loser Lodge as a group because Survivor doesn't like how the jury is being manipulated by certain players. I wonder if that's true.
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

December 16th, 2016, 5:42 am #54

wrote:so much so that the Game Changer crew supposedly have been sequestered individually rather than going to Loser Lodge as a group because Survivor doesn't like how the jury is being manipulated by certain players.
Isn't jury members influencing each other a part of the social aspect of the game? You vote of the very people who hold your fate of winning and losing in their hands? Not that individual sequester is a terrible idea.

I hadn't heard that Zeke was badmouthing Hannah. I'm a little disappointed in him, though it felt like this group held loyalty in a higher regard than in some other seasons.

I like the idea of the Edgic people trying to figure out where they went wrong. Keep people on their toes, lol.

There was a faint voice in my head that told me Adam could win with the story about his mother in the episode in which he told Jay, but I'd enjoyed the season enough at that point that I didn't want to ruin it by entertaining the possibility.
Last edited by bilki on December 16th, 2016, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 16th, 2016, 10:22 pm #55

I haven't actually done the post-Finale tour of sites. maybe this weekend. It's hard with a laptop that only functions for 30-40 minutes. Apparently there are post-jury "exit interviews" somewhere. I dunno if they were done immediately after the tribal, or after the finale (which wed's finale was months later. Day 39 was in June I think.)
iii
iii
iii

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 16th, 2016, 10:34 pm #56

Some post Finale quarterbacking and rethinking...

anthonyd46 wrote:
What eliminated Adam for me was he did too many shady things and got NSPV for it from things like looking over at the combo lock, helping ken on the puzzle, the bickering at the FTC thing, the taylor stuff, continually going back to people that burned him, but what finished him off for me was Zeke and his own alliance wanting to vote him out. The idol plays were wrong. He got called unnecessary for one of them. Just didn't get a good impression of him overall he looked too far in over his head sometimes. It was just too messy for me. Has a winner ever had as many N's in their edict chart before? I just can't believe he won 10-0 I thought with his story and 10-0 win he would be shown to look less negative. His edit really rubbed me the wrong way he seemed so into himself at times.

Redmond:
But a lot of those were only negative on a surface level, not in the detail. Everyone looked at the combo lock, and it was presented as Jay's mistake. He told us why he helped Ken, he didn't want Jay or David winning, it backed up his strategy of that episode, it didn't matter if Jay was annoyed by it, and Adam quickly convinced Jay he only did it to stop David winning. I think FTC made Hannah look bad because she was getting defensive and shouting where Adam remained relatively calm. Taylor was a goof, and while this was probably Adam's worst moment, no one was taking Taylor calling Adam an "idiot" seriously when it was coming from Taylor. Zeke and Hannah considered voting him out and called him erratic, but the b-roll always supported Adam, showed him alone or doing camp chores while people were accusing him of turning on them or whatever.

His idol play did get called unnecessary. That wasn't good. But I guess it was more to set up that Will took control to set up his boot.

richieassy:
so where does this season rank in terms of edgically shocking winners?

Oowatanite:
Edgically shocking winners ? Danni. Bob. Nat W. Tony.

This season ? Not really. Ken was the edgic fave going into the merge. Once he disappeared for several episodes and thereby out of contention, edgicers had to look around to see which flawed journey edit to back - David, Adam, Zeke, Hannah {snort}. Around this time, Adam was receiving all sorts of NSPV from all sorts of players and so was dismissed edgically.

Why David then ? For me, I blame the Tony (winning) edit. smiley: tongue It showed that an overly visible, warts and all type edit is now possibly a winning edit. And we weren't the only site to miss out on the winner - pretty much everyone had David winning this season so we were all fooled.

dotsdfe:
Pretty much exactly this. By the end of the premerge, my most prominent contenders were Ken, Michelle, Michaela, and Adam. Two were eliminated back to back, while Ken started going invisible, and Adam started getting hammered with NSPV that I thought disqualified him. So I pretty much just reshuffled the deck and brought in some other contenders that I had mostly written off for being journey edits (namely, David, Hannah, Zeke) and mostly worked with those + Jay once his edit began to recover.

I think most people followed a relatively similar pattern - I saw Adam on a lot of lists here premerge, but between the other contenders dying off and Adam's edit going south around the middle, a good chunk of us really just reshuffled the deck and looked for a viable journey edit, and David's edit wasn't terribly different than Tony's with a journey aspect.

But at the very least, Adam's edit getting a lot of premerge support makes him a little less surprising than some others. I didn't do Edgic back in Gabon, but from what I've seen, Bob takes the cake by far. Tony was a pretty big shock too - he got a tiny bit of support at points but IIRC the Tony movement almost never had any serious momentum and, funnily enough, almost everyone else who went reasonably far (Woo, Kass, Spencer, Trish, Tasha, LJ) had a solid amount of support at some point or another.

gategod:
Do we really need to justify why Adam's edit was actually good when it wasn't? It's like saying he played a strong game. He played a winning game and got to the end with two people he could beat. He's a very flawed winner. Middle of the pack at best, relying on a ton of luck, and seemed far less in control of the endgame than Hannah was. At the start of the game he was blindsided at the only vote he attended and was on the chopping block to go next. Thanks to a LUCKY swap mixture he was able to flip things around for himself, but even at the merge it's all so dedicated to how Adam is overplaying and making himself a target. Poor start, middle, and end, the bright spots don't erase the negatives. Had he not found that idol at F5, why hide an idol at f5?, he was even the one shown to be getting the votes that night to leave until he mistakenly told Hannah about his idol and they blindsided him by doing Bret. He even misplayed that idol. He stumbled into the end. He may have had ideas and plans to get there with the two he got there with, but he didn't steer the ship, he survived the wreckage. Even the final vote to take out David is edited to give Hannah the credit and make Chris and the jury look obtuse for thinking Adam played the bigger part in it. Maybe he did, but that's not what we were shown.
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

December 17th, 2016, 12:44 am #57

I had to Google NSPV to see what that's all about. You and your fancy Survivor words, lol!

I ended up on Survivor Sucks and have watched David's and Jay's jury videos. David called Ken a goat and said he had no strategic game. Jay said Ken annoyed him but he was a good provider. Sounds like a Ken win was wishful thinking on the part of the fans.

Now I'm going to watch Zeke's...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 17th, 2016, 3:02 am #58

Aw, sorry. :P The jargon is embedded in my thinking after 15 years.

I wonder how much of what we saw of David was really David and how much was him playing a role for us. More than most, and despite his supposed anxiety issues, i would guess he above all (and for many seasons) had a good sense of how to portray himself as a character and not let us see his 100% real self.
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

December 17th, 2016, 3:47 am #59

KMInfinity wrote:I wonder how much of what we saw of David was really David and how much was him playing a role for us. More than most, and despite his supposed anxiety issues, i would guess he above all (and for many seasons) had a good sense of how to portray himself as a character and not let us see his 100% real self.
That's a good point, especially when you figure in that he's a writer and likely knows the importance of a good story. It seemed like there were numerous times when he'd be grumbling about some flaw of his, then find himself in an advantageous position. My inner cynic started getting suspicious. I enjoyed his story, though, even if some of it was just for show. The only other person I wanted to win would have been Jay.

bilki
Site Admin

December 17th, 2016, 5:25 am #60

Is Survivor Sucks monitored at all? Lots of hate over there, though some of it makes me chuckle. It's just been awhile since I've been on a site where people are allowed to be so nasty.