Summer Viewing

Dax
Site Admin

May 18th, 2016, 7:14 pm #1

I have a lot to catch up on. Plus... I'll be watching (or in some cases - new shows - sampling) these --

Sunday - Preacher on AMC. This has been a long time coming... From what I've been reading, I think I'm going to be pleased with it.

5/27 - Bloodline Season 2 on Netflix.

5/30 - So You Think You Can Dance Season 13 on Fox. Tradition, but... I don't like 2/3rds of the judging panel, and I don't love that it's a junior edition, but I DO like that we'll see the All-Stars sooner...

5/31 - Maya and Marty in Manhattan on NBC. Six-episode semi-spinoff of SNL... Martin Short, Maya Rudolph, Kenan Thompson... should be fun.

6/3 - Outcast on Cinemax. I don't know the comic (by Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead - I don't think he's a great writer- I think he just got very, very lucky...), but I wanna check this out (not sure if I have Cinemax, but I think my parents do, and I use Dad's password more often than my own just because I remember it better...). Think an 'Exorcist'-like show stands a better chance on cable than the one Fox has coming in the fall...

6/3 - Comedy Bang! Bang! Season 5 on IFC, now with Weird Al being the musical director, which makes me happy.

6/5 - Feed the Beast on AMC. Looks good.

6/6 - UnReal Season 2 on Lifetime. Anxious for more of this.

6/6 - Angie Tribeca Season 2 on TBS.

6/11 - Hell on Wheels Season 5 pt 2 on AMC. Seven more episodes of railroad-building...

6/13 - BrainDead on CBS. Politics and zombies from the creators of The Good Wife.

6/14 - Animal Kingdom on TNT. I still haven't gotten around to seeing the movie, but the series sounds good...

6/15 - Another Period Season 2 on Comedy Central.

6/17 - Orange is the New Black Season 4 on Netflix.

6/19 - The Jim Gaffigan Show Season 2 on TV Land. Fine comedy palette cleanser...

6/22 - Big Brother Season 18 on CBS.

6/26 - Roadies and Ray Donovan Season 4 on Showtime.

7/6 - Tyrant Season 3 on FX.

7/10 - The Night Of, miniseries on HBO.

7/13 - Mr. Robot Season 2 on USA. Anxious for more of this.

7/17 - Vice Principals on HBO. Danny McBride's East Bound and Down wasn't my thing (though friends have said I should have given it more of a chance than I did, just the pilot), but school-related humor is better for me than I-have-zero-interest-in-baseball, and add Walton Goggins, whom I love dearly...

8/12 - The Get Down on Netflix. Super-anxious for this.

Think that's about it. Might be some late additions (there's no date yet for Halt and Catch Fire 3...) - The Strain 3 on FX starts on 8/28, but that's probably late enough to call 'the start of the fall season'...

How about you?

Last edited by Dax on May 18th, 2016, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

May 29th, 2016, 10:19 pm #2

Preacher (AMC)
-
Dominic Cooper -- Jesse Custer
Joseph Gilgun -- Cassidy
Ruth Negga -- Tulip O'Hare
Lucy Griffiths -- Emily Woodrow
W. Earl Brown -- Sheriff Hugo Root
Tom Brooke -- DeBlanc
Anatol Yusef -- Fiore
Ian Colletti -- Eugene 'Arseface' Root

Premiered last Sunday, but I didn't get to it 'til today. Pilot repeats tonight, followed by a Hardwick-hosted 'Talking'.

I'm a fan of the comics source material (1995-2000, 75 issues). I've had beers with the creator (Garth Ennis) and one of my friends proposed to his wife in the comic's letters page.

People have been trying to adapt this profane, blasphemous, balls-out crazy story to film or tv for the last twenty years. Kevin Smith, Sam Mendes, HBO... It's been tried and failed a bunch o' times.

Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and Breaking Bad's Sam Catlin might have nailed it. Show keeps the crazy spirit of it, a lot of the characters, and inciting event (a broken-down preacher questioning his faith suddenly receives an awesome power) without retaining a lot of the plot (in the book, Jesse, his new vampire friend Cassidy, and his ex-girlfriend Tulip soon embark on a road trip to find and confront God and make him be held accountable for the state of the world -- the show is going to be primarily set in Annville, Texas, at least for the first season, and it doesn't look like Jesse's going to go searching for God..).

First one was a lot of fun... Looking forward to the next nine.

Fun to see two recent Marvel tv grads (Cooper is the young Howard Stark, Negga was a great villain on Agents of SHIELD) together here.

Gotta love a show that kills off Tom Cruise (he explodes) in the first episode.
Last edited by Dax on May 29th, 2016, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

June 11th, 2016, 8:29 am #3

Outcast (Cinemax)
-
Patrick Fugit -- Kyle Barnes
Philip Glenister -- Rev. Anderson
Wrenn Schmidt -- Megan Holter
David Denman -- Mark Holter
Julia Crockett -- Sarah Barnes
Kate Lyn Sheil -- Allison Barnes
and Reg E. Cathey -- Chief Giles

Exorcism drama based on a Robert Kirkman comic book.

Kids possessed by demons are scary.

Kyle's Mom was possessed when he was a kid... Then something bad happened to his wife... Now he's five months back in his hometown, disgraced and alone, and there's a little boy not acting like himself any more...

First season is ten episodes, it's already been renewed for a second. I won't watch it week-to-week, but I might come back to it at some point... Grace Zabriskie and Lee Tergesen weren't in the pilot, but they will have roles...

Dax
Site Admin

June 12th, 2016, 8:31 pm #4

Feed the Beast (AMC)
-
David Schwimmer -- Tommy Moran
Jim Sturgess -- Dion Patras
Lorenza Izzo -- Pilar Herrera
Michael Gladis -- Patrick 'The Tooth Fairy' Woichik
John Doman -- Aidan Moran
Christine Adams -- Rie Moran
Elijah Jacob -- TJ Moran

Adapted from a Danish series, Bankerot. First episode kinda slow, mostly exposition, but it shows potential. Two brothers with issues - Schwimmer's a sommelier, widowed a year, young son mute since his wife's death, drinking too much. Sturgess is a chef, just out of prison for burning down his previous restaurant, into the mob for major money, cops on him to inform on the mob, and he has a coke habit. A restaurant together was their dream, but the dream died, but now they're gonna revive the dream. Ten episodes.

Dax
Site Admin

June 16th, 2016, 5:14 am #5

BrainDead (CBS)
-
Mary Elizabeth Winstead -- Laurel Healy
Danny Pino -- Sen. Luke Healy
Aaron Tveit -- Gareth Ritter
and Tony Shalhoub -- Sen. Red Wheatus

DC senators and their aides try to make deals to end a government shut down, and alien bugs are crawling in ears and eating brains.

It's weird. I'd hoped it would be more stupid-in-a-fun-way, but I was pretty bored. Here's a review from somebody that's seen two hours.. http://www.vox.com/2016/6/14/11924152/b ... p-premiere
I might watch #2, but... I don't know. My parents liked it..?

--

Animal Kingdom (TNT)
-
Ellen Barkin -- Janine 'Smurf' Cody
Scott Speedman -- Barry 'Baz' Brown
Shawn Hatosy -- Andrew 'Pope' Cody
Ben Robson -- Craig Cody
Jake Weary -- Deran Cody
Finn Cole -- Joshua 'J' Cody
Daniella Alonso -- Catherine
Molly Gordon -- Nicky

Two have aired, but I've only seen the first one so far.

I still haven't seen the 2010 Australian film this is based on, with Jacki Weaver (she got a Supporting Actress Oscar nom) and Ben Mendelsohn (Danny on Bloodline)...

This looks good. J's heroin junkie Mom dies, so he goes to live with his Grandma... It's a crime family. They rob banks and jewelry stores and shit. Kid tries to be cool about it, but it's all a little overwhelming and dangerous and scary...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 16th, 2016, 9:25 pm #6

Isn't Jake Weary Kim Zimmer's son?
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

June 16th, 2016, 9:37 pm #7

Yup. He looks a bit different to me than he did before (as Luke on ATWT). I wouldn't have recognized him if I hadn't seen his name...

Alonso (really cute girl- was on FNL and Revolution) was also on ATWT, back in 2004, a character named Pilar Domingo... I remember nothing about her EXCEPT that she was a hot girl...

Krystal
Site Admin

June 17th, 2016, 4:50 am #8

I think I will record Animal Kingdom and hope I can catch up with the first two on demand.
Last edited by Krystal on June 17th, 2016, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

June 22nd, 2016, 8:01 am #9

BrainDead #2 - I liked the musical recap. I don't like much of the next 37 minutes, but I'm really drunk right now, and think that might be the right way to watch this...

(I couldn't figure out what I wanted to eat... I most definitely did not want to go out for anything because it's hot and it burns to go outside... I'd thought all day that I would go to a movie today after work, but then I needed to be home with the kitties and I did not get out again for a movie, or for food, and it just made more sense to drink a lot instead... Fuck food... I'll get something tomorrow on my way to work...)

Will likely watch the Person of Interest finale in the morning (I work at noon).

'What the World Needs Now' on tonight's Maya and Marty by 'Broadway For Orlando' was really moving and beautiful. I haven't watched the video release (of a couple days ago) yet, but I will...

I have five to go in Americans.

I like that BB is starting tomorrow. I'm in the mood for it...

Krystal
Site Admin

July 2nd, 2016, 4:25 pm #10

We dropped preacher it was too cartoony. We watched one animal kingdom and decided it was too much like Sons of Anarchy with too many lowlifes and nixed it too..

So we've been renting movies or recording them and watching them mostly. As far as TV goes we are watching Wayward Pines and that's about the only series other than Hell on Wheels. We are about done with the third season of Orphan Black and are about half done with a second season of bloodline. I think bloodline is even better this year than it was last year. The family seems to attract low-lifes like mosquitoes in Florida.