KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 28th, 2015, 10:12 pm #61

Let me know if you like the 1st episode, I might watch it just to see Hendricks.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

June 28th, 2015, 10:30 pm #62

First one was okay. Harmless time-passer, some laughs... Nothing to feel bad about skipping, but I did enjoy seeing these horrible and stupid people treat Hendricks (in her first day on the job as a new servant) so poorly.. The first thing they do is rename her 'Chair'... But she'll get them back - she's (gasp!) also the patriarch's mistress...

I love David Wain and Michael Ian Black... Leggero is a funny stand-up and CC Roast standout.. love Lindhome in Garfunkel and Oates...

blosslover
Site Admin

June 28th, 2015, 10:42 pm #63

Another Period was very daft, but I actually laughed twice. If you have a strange sense of humor you may like it. Of course, if someone was to have the time and inclination "Month of Zen" is going on with Comedy Central streaming from episode one of "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart.

Dax
Site Admin

June 28th, 2015, 10:58 pm #64

The Brink (HBO)
-
Jack Black -- Alex Talbot
Tim Robbins -- Sec. of State Walter Larson
Pablo Schreiber -- Lt. Com. Zeke 'Z-Pak' Tilson
Aasif Mandvi -- Rafiq Massaud
Maribeth Monroe -- Kendra Peterson
Eric Ladin -- Lt. Glenn Taylor
Geoff Pierson -- Sec. of Defense Pierce Grey
Esai Morales -- President Julian Navarro

Sad. I'd looked forward to an HBO comedy with Jack Black and Tim Robbins... Heard the Sepinwall and Feinberg podcast on how 'not good' it is and thought 'well, maybe I'll disagree'...

I did not. This is not a good show.

Dax
Site Admin

June 29th, 2015, 2:57 am #65

Mr. Robot (USA)
-
Rami Malek -- Elliot Alderson
Carly Chaikin -- Darlene
Portia Doubleday -- Angela Moss
Martin Wallstrom -- Tyrell Wellick
and Christan Slater -- Mr. Robot

Yeah, that's a terrific pilot. Thank you, KMI, for encouraging me not to skip this. It hadn't really been on my radar, but... It's really cool. Went in pretty blind on the plot, and think that was really the best way to do it, actually...

I like the thing they're doing with the episode titles looking like file names. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Rob ... eries[/url)

Slater has been on several TV series in the last decade, but I think this is the first one to see a second season order...

I haven't seen The Pacific yet, so Malek is all new to me.

I loved Chaikin on Suburgatory, so I'm happy to see her here.

Creator Sam Esmail is an altogether new name... Who's he? Wrote/directed a small 2014 feature called Comet, starring Justin Long and Emmy Rossum, whom I love dearly, and who imdb says is in a relationship with Esmail. I'll have to see that.

Good show. Ten episodes in Season 1. I'm in.
Last edited by Dax on July 4th, 2015, 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

June 29th, 2015, 3:09 am #66

Mr Robot must be unusual programming for USA. I can't think of a single show on that network that caught my interest. I enjoyed Elliot's cynical monologues, though the techie stuff went right over my head. The "I'm gay" scene made me chuckle. The show isn't what I expected but I'll be back for more. Thanks, KMI!

Humans was OK. I thought they were being too obvious with the ominous music during Anita's early scenes but I became more intrigued with the story by the end. As long as it continues to remind of Cylons, I'll probably stick with it.

Dax
Site Admin

June 29th, 2015, 3:23 am #67

USA has altered its programming slate, yeah. They've been shedding the light-and-fluffy and going darker.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 29th, 2015, 8:56 pm #68

Glad I didn't oversell it and people liked it.

>>>though the techie stuff went right over my head.
LOL-The complaint from all the hacker geek nerds is that the show was too simplistic. "Wah wah... He's a coder, it's about hackers, of course the audience knows how root kits work. They're being too splainy about the computer stuff." Me, I was wishing they'd be a little bit more obvious about some of the computer stuff. :D

>>>>>I haven't seen The Pacific yet, so Malek is all new to me.
Malek is terrific. Pacific isn't as 'good' as Band of Brothers, but that's like saying Friends isn't as good as Big Bang. :P

I agree Bilki I kept thinking about the cylons when watching Humans. Some of it is intriguing and I'll stick with it for a bit, but some of it is very derivative of old SF robotics themes and plotlines. I mean like, 1950s old. Which is fine if they realize that and balance the homage/adaptation of the material and build on it. Asimov got a shout out, which is de rigueur and necessary, so they are paying at least lip service to the genre's history.

“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

June 29th, 2015, 10:09 pm #69

Anyone watch the Astronaut Wives? Saw first episode. Not convinced it's worth my time.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

bilki
Site Admin

June 29th, 2015, 10:12 pm #70

I didn't realize how much I miss the Cylons until I started watching the episode. When they said some of them were sentient beings, I started cheering on the inside. Maybe I'll start thinking about giving Caprica another try.

I wish they were doing reviews of Mr Robot over at AVClub.
Last edited by bilki on June 29th, 2015, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.