Krystal
Site Admin

June 23rd, 2011, 4:32 am #11

I am also watching last seasons TB. Have about 4 left.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 24th, 2011, 3:01 pm #12

Dax, I love the "poetry" of Deadwood too. I was referring to the reviews I'd read, which I thankfully remember only a little, that made such a deal about the profanity, and an article i read that had scholars arguing about Deadwood's language accuracy, with one group certain it was common, and another group claiming that "their" slang and profanity was different from today's, including a lot more blasephemy, which was seen as being as bad or worse.

Reconnoitering the Rim- Episode 3
**I'm not getting good vibes for the long term health of Wild Bill. Foreshadowing seems pretty heavy....

**I really like Kim Dickens a lot in Treme. It'll be great to see her here. I did a double take when she appeared. I canNOT picture O'Neill as Swearengen. McShane already IS the character, and I've seen him in so much already so that's amazing.

**The Bella Union gang are great. Funny to see how they represent "classy" as opposed to the Gem. Relativity...lol I guess the big question will be if they are "better" than Swearengen, or if it's a case of "better the devil you know..."

*The brutally continues to stun. I really didn't see them killing the city dude - Brom? Dority is just banal evil. He reminds me of Warren in Buffy.... "I'm not really evil".... I like the prospector who was watching secretly when Dority murdered Brom.

**Bullock (damn, another name I dislike for multiple reasons...wish they'd continue to call him "Montana") continues to be driven by his immediate goals. Were he and Sol attending a different shootout victim's funeral? The transition with "Boot Hill" seemed confusing. And I'm not enjoying the reverend.

**I will need a better memory to refer to characters and incidents. The episode guides for this show suck or are "no longer available" or are laced with spoilers...of which I scanned over one line and now I'm bummed.

Krystal, I am so psyched to do some research, especially about Hickok and Calamity Jane, and am restraining myself. I love the character.

Dax I cannot believe you haven't seen all of Freaks and Geeks. I have arguments with a friend about whether F&G or Firefly is the worst cancellation ever and the show that deserved a full series run. (We love both.) I don't feel bad having a big "list of great stuff" I failed to watch any more. :P

Bloss, I find TrueBlood to be getting weaker over time. S3 wasn't as good as S2 imo, and the previews and leaked stuff for S4 looks even worse to me. My paper's local review said this and I agree, and am even more disenchanted.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11175/1155829-67-0.stm

Of course, a corking good S4 could fix all that.

edited multiple times because my arthritis is causing even more typoes than usual. I need to get in the habit of proofing before posting. Sorry. :(
Last edited by KMInfinity on June 24th, 2011, 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

June 24th, 2011, 7:43 pm #13

>> I canNOT picture O'Neill as Swearengen.

HBO, of course, couldn't/wouldn't get past Al Bundy, and feared audiences would feel the same, but Milch had worked with him on Big Apple, a short-lived CBS cop series... anyway, he got to write long monologues for him later on John From Cincinnati.

>> And I'm not enjoying the reverend.

I like that actor (Ray McKinnon, whose short film The Accountant with Walton Goggins won them an Oscar...).

Last edited by Dax on June 24th, 2011, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

June 24th, 2011, 9:47 pm #14

Each epi has at least one amazing line.

Dax
Site Admin

June 24th, 2011, 9:53 pm #15

>> Each epi has at least one amazing line.

I'd put it more at 40 or 50. I mean, seriously. ONE? WAY more than that...
Last edited by Dax on June 24th, 2011, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

June 25th, 2011, 2:43 am #16

I'm too cheap and not cool enough for HBO or Showtime (but am working on it.....maybe someday springing for the $$).

Both in re-runs but funny sit coms that some here might enjoy:

Mike and Molly

The Big Bang Theory

Both really worth watching for light entertainment. It is vaguely possible that Big Bang Theory could lead to improving your scientific literacy, but only if you were willing to look stuff up if you didn't already know it.

blosslover
Site Admin

June 25th, 2011, 3:33 am #17

I'm up to episode 9 of True Blood season 3. And I think it isn't as good as earlier seasons as those I finished in under 2 weeks...this one is taken more patience to watch.
Last edited by blosslover on June 25th, 2011, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

June 25th, 2011, 4:50 pm #18

Bloss, we are about where you are with TB season 3. It seems like there is more gore and sex than prior seasons? That doesn't bother me but I wonder where they can go from here.
I think the firsr 2 were better as well.

TGIR, you can rent any of the prior seasons HBO or Showtime shows. We don't get either channel as well, because you can't buy just them here, you have to get some package with 100 other channels we'd never watch. So we rent TB and Dexter when they are released.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 27th, 2011, 3:53 am #19

"Here was a Man" - Deadwood - S1, e4

*Carradine was awesome. :bye1: I agree with Sepinwall about the thunder speech.

*I loved the scene with Hickok and Bullock working on building the hardware store.

*I really like Ellsworth and want to see more of him, so I was glad Dority didn't kill him after his confession. But I found both rather unbelievable, Ellsworth admitting he saw the murder of Brom, and Dority sparing him once he knew.

*Alma's character steps up. I wasn't keen on her, so judgment suspended for future developments.

*So Bullock is married. huh.

*Overall, a powerful episode, setting a clear course for the show's development, establishing themes and styles and characters. It's amazing that this is only episode 4 as it seems I "know" Deadwood and its inhabitants so well already.

"The Trial of Jack McCall" - Deadwood - S1, e5

*What really sticks out for me (teacher alert) is the issue of Deadwood's existence as a lawless community in limbo, both eager and fearful to connect with the U.S. I'm looking forward to that topic developing over the course of the series. McCall's travesty of a trial was ironic in that justice had to be denied in order to allow Deadwood the chance for justice under law as a member of the U.S.

*Cool to see that even Swearengen couldn't stomach McCall. Loved his speech that set McCall off and running. I'm still afraid to llok up Hickok irl as I'm hoping Bullock tracks him down and administers frontier justice rough and swift.

*I don't know how much I'm reading into things, but the women all seem to be subtly resisting their roles as second class citizens, picking their spots and undermining the men in ways that approach the line but dare not cross it. Trixie actually helping Alma was fine to see.

*Somehow, even in the hell of Deadwood, some are able to resist the slide into amoral inhumanity. Calamity Jane's efforts to help the plague victim from Bella union was noble and She NEEDS to be needed. And while she's helping him, her bellow of, "Shut the FUCK up." when he kept apologizing was hilarious.
Last edited by KMInfinity on June 27th, 2011, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

June 27th, 2011, 10:11 am #20

So Wild Bill going out in trumps Ned Stark's 9, but I was thinking google or memory was going to spoil that for you... (and then there was foreshadowing, too...)

>> I really like Ellsworth

Great guy.

>> Alma's character steps up. I wasn't keen on her, so judgment suspended for future developments.

I like Molly Parker's work a lot...

>> So Bullock is married. huh.

Yup.

>> I "know" Deadwood and its inhabitants so well already.

Yeah, it doesn't take very long...

Garret Dillahunt (McCall) is really marvelous.