Star Wars

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 28th, 2015, 2:26 am #1

Ok so I made this thread for ALL the Star Wars movies but beware because there will be spoilers if you haven't seen all of the movies. :)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Dax
Site Admin

December 28th, 2015, 2:40 am #2

Your profile picture is lovely.

Wasn't Adam Driver great?

Couple of my friends were bummed there was so little Luke, but I thought that was just the right stopping point... He'll obviously have a lot more to do in VIII.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

December 28th, 2015, 8:12 am #3

I was a little surprised at how little Luke there was too. I didnt really know what to expect but knowing he was part of the cast led me to believe there would be more. Though I do agree it played out well in context and I'm sure there will be lots more in the next one but I kept waiting on the big finding Luke moment and then it finally came and it was over.

I want a BB8!!

Dax
Site Admin

December 28th, 2015, 8:33 am #4

One of my friends has a little BB8 toy and is taking a lot of pictures from almost-its-perspective...

Yeah, Hamill got second billing behind Ford for his work... Then Fisher... Driver first amongst the new cast, then Daisy Ridley...

tgir
Site Admin

December 28th, 2015, 1:03 pm #5

Well of course Hamill got billing before Fisher, despite not uttering one word.

I am pissed at the virtually no reaction to Han's death. I understand if Harruson felt he was done a while back but the franchise did not launch from the shoulders of Mark Hamill.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 28th, 2015, 1:27 pm #6

>>Wasn't Adam Driver great?

LOL ... My reaction was 'He was on Girls'? WTH???

Then when he killed Hans I was pissed.

That broke my heart but I figured HF was done with the franchise. I was happy that he was in this episode as much as he was.

Love BB8. Ashley got me a keychain for my birthday. It is awesome. I do want a toy. Dax, that's fun what your friend is doing. I should get Lucky a BB8 for some fun pics.

>>Well of course Hamill got billing before Fisher, despite not uttering one word.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it is 'Hollywood'. I was OK with so little Luke because that fit with the story.

I wonder if Fisher will continue with the next movie.

Our audience was fun. Good group. They clapped each time one of the original cast was introduced and we had lots of chuckles throughout but nothing obnoxious. Our seats were AMAZING. I was laid back with a glass of chardonnay in my hand and had no problem with the 3D. I definitely want to see it again and can't wait for the next one.

Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

tgir
Site Admin

December 28th, 2015, 6:47 pm #7

My guess re: Fisher continuing in the next film? She will if they will have her but they aren't going to want her because Han Solo is dead and because she had the temerity to get older than she was 30 years ago--and to look it.

It's not that I think Fisher is a world class actress although she's head, shoulders, knees and toes above Mark Hamill. Luke's character was given more to do in the first few films, so it would make sense that he be in these--except that it is a sure thing that whatever Leia has been doing is much more interesting than sitting on a rock on a mountain.

But I doubt she'll have more than a cameo, if that. Now, they have a cute young hot girl and so they have met their quota for prominent female characters. More and it would be considered a chick flick and 14 year old boys and their emotional equivalents wouldn't see it or buy their toys.

Dax
Site Admin

December 28th, 2015, 7:00 pm #8

I do wish there had been a Chewie/Leia moment (along with that long Rey/Leia hug) after Han's death.

The child in me is devastated - he WAS always my favorite character - but I didn't cry... There wasn't time before we were on to the next set of scenes...

It's a good story-and-character catalyst to what will come next. I get why Kasdan and Abrams made the choices that they made...

I think we can expect to see Fisher in VIII, for sure. And I don't think it's unreasonable to think we might see Han again, too, in some form... (fans want a Han/Luke reunion a flashback could provide...)

Ford has been grumpy about SW over the years, sure, but it looked to me like he's been having a blast here, and there wasn't any kind of 'being done with the franchise, get me out of this thing' here... He did want Han to die in Jedi, yes. They did pay him a ton of money. But nobody really expected - especially after George declared that the prequels were 'the end' and he wouldn't make more - that there would BE a VII and beyond... That they got Ford, Hamill, Fisher (and Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker and Peter Mayhew - 3PO, R2, Chewie) all back 32 years after Jedi... Wheeeeeee.... fun.

Driver - so since you forgot or didn't know that he was going to be in it, did you recognize his voice before the mask came off? ... I love that some of his hissyfits and beating-himself-in-the-chest motions were 'familiar' character traits he shared with 'our' Adam.... I thought he was great.

Edit since I was writing before reading tgir... I'll bet you a dollar that instead of having just a cameo... Leia will be MORE prominent in VII than VII... Rian Johnson (the next one's writer and director) is a smart guy - he's going to want her in it.
Last edited by Dax on December 28th, 2015, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

December 29th, 2015, 6:22 am #9

My favorite part was the use of the Millennium Falcon and how the younger characters didn't know what it was.

I wish that they had waited to kill off Han until later in the series, why because it is Han especially since it meant certain cast members had no scenes together and probably never will again. What was the order in the cast during the original trilogy?

I hope the SW people saw how well received Leia was in this movie and give her more to do in some capacity. Family scenes would be appreciated.

Dax
Site Admin

December 29th, 2015, 6:51 am #10

Hamill/Ford/Fisher all on one screen, Peter Cushing alone on the next, 'and Alec Guiness' on the next, then 'with' Daniels, Baker, Mayhew, Prowse, and two guys I don't know without looking up, Jack Purvis and Eddie Byrne (Chief Jawa; General Willard)...