Dax
Site Admin

September 13th, 2014, 8:42 pm #21

I like the show. I care about a few characters (Unser, Patterson, Wendy, Nero) and want to see the comeuppance for Gemma... I don't know if I 'care' about a lot of the guys, but I do want to know what's going to happen to them... I don't feel like Sutter has 'ruined' his own show... I do think this story IS the story he's been telling all along... but yes, there's some eye-rolling to the Jax of the last six years saying 'oh, never mind, I was wrong' now, but... well, I GET that Tara's murder is going to change him, and it's easy to accept that he doesn't/wouldn't suspect Gemma...

The Shield was a lot better, and Mad Men and Breaking Bad are in entirely different classes... SOA and Shield will rightfully forever be discussed alongside each other (both FX, both 7 season runs, Sutter a principle writer/producer on Shield, and much cast crossover between them). The Shield had some richer characters and MAYBE more 'optimism'... um. Maybe not. It's also pretty damned dark. It had interesting one-off (and supporting characters') stories running alongside the major arc, something SOA wasn't able to do...

jbrr1212
Elite Members

September 15th, 2014, 9:30 am #22

I still like the show alot. Granted I do think Sutter has gone too far with certain characters, I'm nowhere near ready to give up the show. I think I come at it from a bit of a different place than most though, knowing quite a bit about that life and knowing alot of people in the life it interests me to see it play out in a show. Sure much of it is exaggerated for tv but really bad shit does happen and the people who are involved arent always evil, imo. I think that makes me a little more likely to forgive the characters (and Sutters writing on occasion) when others wont.

I'll be with it until the end, no doubt.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 15th, 2014, 7:32 pm #23

KMI, I agree with the reviewers. The characters have become loathesome and non redeemable. I really am questioning whether to keep watching as well.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 16th, 2014, 12:54 am #24

>>>>>knowing quite a bit about that life and knowing alot of people in the life
See, I'm the opposite. That's exactly why some of it seems too close to home, too difficult for me to think of as 'a show.' On the one hand it's so over the top it's unrealistic and too grim, but on the other hand, something will resonate and remind me of some thing from long ago. In a bad way. It's weird. I can't exactly explain why it affects me more than usual.

But the bottom line is that the I could have overlooked all of the issues if I felt the show wasn't, on some level, making me complicit - a sort of 'emperor's new clothes' situation. I could imagine Sutter saying, "If you stuck it out until the end of SOA, you are a piece of shit, just like Clay and Gemma and Tig and the rest. Y'all suck. Otherwise you woulda quit watching."
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

September 16th, 2014, 1:06 am #25

Sutter would never say anything like that - he wants people to love him. (But David Chase did express similar sentiments about/to those that glorified his Sopranos characters during its final run... he didn't necessarily invite viewers to 'judge' the characters, but he did, you know, underscore the point that they're not nice or 'good' guys at all...)

Season premiere of SOA was the highest-rated show in FX history...

tx_kittybelle

September 17th, 2014, 2:47 pm #26

I still like the show a lot too. and I knew jax would go over the edge after tara was killed. gemma has to go tho. cant stand her even more now. I have been with this show since the start. I cant give up now. I gotta see it thru till the end. im really gonna miss it. :o(

Dax
Site Admin

September 18th, 2014, 4:42 am #27

#2 -

I like the friendship foundation in Wendy/Nero. That's interesting.

Fun that just a week after her final appearance on The Bridge, Gish turns up in Charming.

Gibby-in-Selma was important to Jury, the Indian Hills charter President. Father/son, looks like... oops. Moving too quickly, Jax, not studying the pieces before you play them... really sloppy.

Unser/Juice and Unser/Gemma scenes were really good.

That shot of Juice leaving in Wendy's car, his bag on the seat next to him... and he whips out his phone to call Chibs... big 'No, you ought not to do that...', very reminiscent of the shot of De Matteo's Adriana driving out of town, her bag on the seat next to her, in 'Long Term Parking'... but she didn't drive out of town, she called Christopher, and... ought not to have done that.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 18th, 2014, 6:22 pm #28

If Gemma thinks Wendy is getting cozy with Nero, that could mean the end of Wendy....I do hope Wendy survives...

Really glad Juice did not kill Unser, but Juice is really brain scrambled and the way it is looking he won't survive many more epis.

Does Jax now think that the Asians ordered for Tara to be killed? I know jemma fingered the one guy but I thought killing him would be the end of it. Gemma just makes bigger messes all the time, she is totally toxic.

Why did Jax have to kill the 2 young men that helped him with the Asians? I do think one was the other biker's son. It is that kind of killing that bothers me more than the hit on the Asian gang.
Jax has just become a total scumbag with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Best line of the show "blame it on Obama"..

Dax
Site Admin

September 18th, 2014, 6:42 pm #29

>> Does Jax now think that the Asians ordered for Tara to be killed? I know jemma fingered the one guy but I thought killing him would be the end of it.

Yes. Jax believes Henry Lin had Tara killed.

>> Why did Jax have to kill the 2 young men that helped him with the Asians?

Patsies. So they (the two dead guys) would be believed to have pulled off the robbery.

>> It is that kind of killing that bothers me more than the hit on the Asian gang.

Sure. It's one thing to kill your enemies, but the hired help? That's not cool.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 18th, 2014, 8:25 pm #30

Who would believe that those 2 doofi could kill 20 or more Asians....

Dax is really doing a lot of stupid things.